Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2021, 06:09 AM   #1
WYrv

Sureflow 4008 Run nonstop/No leaks

So our new to us used camper has an issue. The water pump runs non stop and does not pressure off. I understand the basics of how the pump work, When running I can hear a trickle of water, I believe it is going in to grey tank.

So I am hoping for a checklist, or diagnosis to fix the issue...

Here is what I know, the pressure is adjusted by an 5/16 allen on top. I will start there... If I adjust a little and it works, great. But I also heard there is something about the check valve. Some one said that if the check valve goes bad the water will leak back into the grey water tank.

Is there good IF then flow chart to diagnose and fix this issue?

I hope a 1/4 turn on pressure side fixes the issue but my gut tells me I will have something more I have to do...
WYrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

First, the water pump output flow is NOT connected to the gray tanks except through the sink drain. So, a "leak" or "continuous running pump" can NOT put water into the gray tank through the plumbing. It has to go "through a faucet, into the sink and to the gray tank.

This is an "overly simplified diagram" of your water system. As you can see, there's no connection between the water pump and the gray tank.

Your problem is one of a couple of things.

First, the pump "pressure cutoff switch" is located in the pump head. If it is not working properly, the pump will run continuously.

Second, there is an adjustment on the switch (on some pump models) and you can vary the pressure at which the pump cuts off. It will only work IF the pump diaphragm can attain the set pressure. If there is "trash or a hole" in the pump diaphragm, it will not pressurize the cutoff switch, so it will run continuously.

Third, if you are connected to shore power, the converter should provide sufficient power to the pump for "normal operations". On the other hand, if you're on battery power, if the battery is not fully charged, it may not provide enough power to the water pump for it to run fast enough to attain the pressure setting. So, make sure your battery is fully charged or that you're plugged into shore power.

Fourth, if there is air in the faucet supply lines, the pump can not pressurize adequately, so the pump will run continuously, or for a significantly prolonged time.

Fifth, if there is an "air leak" in the pump supply line from the water tank to the pump inlet, you may be "sucking air into the pump diaphragm" which would cause cavitation in the pump and it will not fully pressurize the system.

I'd first make sure the power source is adequate, purge all the air out of the lines, verify the inlet hose to the pump is not leaking, make sure the pump diaphragm is clean and functional, then try adjusting the pressure setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing-rv.gif
Views:	65
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	34950  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
WYrv

Thanks that is a good little list and correct direction. So I went out pulled the cover off the pump, with the pump on I checked the ires and everything looked good. Then I was getting ready to adjust the allen screw to see if it would turn it off. As I went to do that I dropped the flashlight on top of the pump hitting the pump. A split second later it shut off and has been working correctly. Since then I have looked over other things and could not find any other issues. I ran water out all location to purge air and got a little air burp from the outside shower. I adjusted the allen screw to adjust the pressure verified that pressure when up and down using a gauge attached to my sink faucet. The pressure screw worked and I set the pressure at 50. Since then I have used it shut it off drained the lines and pressured everything seems to be working???

So what ever I did worked...
WYrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks