Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
Ejohnson

Black Streaks On The Siding

I got my Hideout out this week, and gave it a good bath. There are black streaks all over the siding, going top to bottom. They were there before I washed it, I was hoping they would wash out. What's the deal?? I think it's from the vinyl designs put on when it was assembled.
Ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:16 AM   #2
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohnson View Post
I got my Hideout out this week, and gave it a good bath. There are black streaks all over the siding, going top to bottom. They were there before I washed it, I was hoping they would wash out. What's the deal?? I think it's from the vinyl designs put on when it was assembled.
They come from crud on the roof and gutters.

There is some cleaner called "Totally Awesome" that you can get at Lowes in bulk and at most dollar stores in a spray bottle.

Use it full strength. Spray it on and let it sit for a few and then wipe it off and rinse.

Works like a dream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61zmfJMf7pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	34544  
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:24 AM   #3
Scttw

Ya, the simply green at full strength is also very good. It "might" be a good environmental choice depending on where you are.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The source of the "black and gray streaks" is organic and inorganic pollution that builds up on your RV roof. When it rains or when there's dew that "wets your trailer", it's deposited on the roof. The sun dries it in place and the cycle repeats. As it builds up, the cycle continues until the pollution spills over the edges of the trailer and flows down the sidewalls. Then, when the sun dries it, it's more "visible than on the roof".....

Simple Green or Simply Awesome or another type/brand of cleaner will remove much or even all of the stain. The one I use is LA's Totally Awesome, sold by Dollar Tree for $1 a quart or $1 for a 20 ounce spray bottle. https://www.dollartree.com/las-total...ls-32oz/985190 Any good cleaner will also remove all of the wax or polymer protective coating from your sidewalls, so you'll need to either wax or apply another type of protective coating to your trailer after cleaning it....

The "key to success" is keeping the roof clean, keeping the gutter system open and flowing, keeping the gutter spouts operational and undamaged (so rain doesn't flow down the trailer sidewall at the ends of the gutter runs) and keeping a protective coating on the siding so it can repel the rain to prevent future streaks. When you clean the roof, usually a 4-6 month requirement, don't forget to inspect and reseal everything on the roof. Include the sealant around the gutter spouts as they can be a "direct route to the wood roof decking and in some trailers, the wooden frame.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #5
Ejohnson

Thanks for the tips. I forgot about the roof being the source. I'll try Simple Green, since I do have some of that. I might try Totally Awesome as well.
Ejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #6
dutchmensport

WD-40 will remove black streaks also. If in doubt, test a small area. If it doesn't melt off I'll be surprised. After you remove the streaks, wash the area with any kind of soap of your choice. FYI, WD-40 will also EASILY remove road tar, bugs, and anything else sticking to your camper. It works on fiberglass and aluminum sided RV. It also works magnificent for removing road tar from your car or truck too. It won't hurt anything if you don't follow up with a wash with soap and water, but it just makes me feel better when I do. I've not found anything better for cleaning streaks or tar than WD-40.

I DO NOT recommend using it on your rubber roof, but on all metal and fiberglass and glass and chrome, painted surfaces, and raw metals (unpainted), it works great at removing all kinds of crud.