Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #1
JimSell

Which is negative?

I have a 2005 Keystone Outback. I am trying to install a Hopkins vueSmart Wireless Trailer Camera on the back of the camper. I am going to mount it under a red clearance light. The light is removed and both leads are black. They each go to wire in the trailer and are connected with a wire nut. One of the camper wires is white and the other wire is white with a yellow stripe. Which one of the wires is positive? Polarity is important. Thanks.
JimSell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The only way to absolutely know is to check it with a multimeter. If you don't own one then buy one, read the directions and learn how to use it. They can be purchased for very little money and you will need to have one in your toolbox if you own a camper.

Typically when there's 2 low voltage wires as you describe the one with the tracer is the positive wire BUT THAT'S NO GUARANTEE THAT IT IS. The low voltage wiring for lights is jot affected by reverse polarity with incandescent lamps, so do you want to trust that the installer did it correctly?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSell View Post
I have a 2005 Keystone Outback. I am trying to install a Hopkins vueSmart Wireless Trailer Camera on the back of the camper. I am going to mount it under a red clearance light. The light is removed and both leads are black. They each go to wire in the trailer and are connected with a wire nut. One of the camper wires is white and the other wire is white with a yellow stripe. Which one of the wires is positive? Polarity is important. Thanks.
As a rule RV 12V stranded wire the solid white is negative and the white with tracer is positive. As stated above, multi meter would remove any doubt.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:39 PM   #4
JimSell

Thank you

Thanks for both replies. I have a multimeter, has instructions in Chinese. It's a solid state meter, does it show polarity? Any idea how? I guess I could just put it on a battery and see what it shows, then reverse the probes?
Old 01-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for both replies. I have a multimeter, has instructions in Chinese. It's a solid state meter, does it show polarity? Any idea how? I guess I could just put it on a battery and see what it shows, then reverse the probes?
Search the brand and model of your meter, someone may have a translation or PDF instructions in eng. Most digital multimeters will show a "-" in front of the number when the meter leads are reversed. Simply use a AA or flashlight battery to check the meter.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:20 PM   #6
GaryUT

Quote:

A digital meter set to measure DC volts will have a negative sign in front of the numbers if it is hooked up backwards.

Gary

2019 Laredo 255SRL
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
GaryUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #7
cavie

Quote:
you tube is your friend.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #8
JimSell

Thanks to everyone

Thanks for all the help. Got the camera installed and it works great!