Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #1
Bbouch84

Matching Wheel

So i am wondering how i can go about getting a matching aluminum wheel as a spare since our spare is steel. God forbid we need it is atleast want it to match the other wheelse.
TV: 2014 Ram 1500 QC 5.7L 8spd 3:21 gears

1st camper: 2001 Aero Cub C19
Current Camper: 2020 Bullet 261rbs
Bbouch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Take a look at Sendel.com or RecStuff.com and see if you can identify the model number. Then Google the make/model of the wheel and you'll find them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
roadglide

I had a flat tire along the way and had to use the lug nuts from the aluminum rims . The steel wheel are not the same design. I drove a couple miles and had them repair my tire and bought set of Lugnuts for the spare steel wheel.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I had a flat tire along the way and had to use the lug nuts from the aluminum rims . The steel wheel are not the same design. I drove a couple miles and had them repair my tire and bought set of Lugnuts for the spare steel wheel.
You have to be kidding! I know the socket sizes are different but the lugnuts from the mag wheel will not fit???
Old 10-15-2020, 11:07 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
You have to be kidding! I know the socket sizes are different but the lugnuts from the mag wheel will not fit???
It's not an issue of socket size. The studs don't change. The difference is the thickness of the aluminum wheel vs the steel wheel. The aluminum wheels use an "acorn nut" (the lug nut is a blind hole, the hole doesn't go thru the nut) so when you go to mount the thinner steel wheel the nuts cannot go on far enough for the lug nuts to tighten against the steel wheel.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Take a look at Sendel.com or RecStuff.com and see if you can identify the model number. Then Google the make/model of the wheel and you'll find them.
Recently put on four new and different style Sendel's. TT came with Sendel chinese knockoffs. Sad. Glad to have the real thing now (with Carlisles).
Old 10-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #7
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's not an issue of socket size. The studs don't change. The difference is the thickness of the aluminum wheel vs the steel wheel. The aluminum wheels use an "acorn nut" (the lug nut is a blind hole, the hole doesn't go thru the nut) so when you go to mount the thinner steel wheel the nuts cannot go on far enough for the lug nuts to tighten against the steel wheel.
That is just criminal!
Old 10-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
That is just criminal!
Check the wheel size and wheel type on the spare on any Ford truck that's equipped with 20" aluminum or cast wheels on the ground......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #9
roadglide

Quote:
That is just criminal!
I don’t believe you could get 100 lbs of torque on a steel rim with out destroying it in someway or another using the lug nuts that Came off aluminum deep set rims. Get matching rims or carry eight different Lugnuts for the steel spare rim.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:58 PM   #10
IMASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
I read about this lug nut problem here on this forum a couple years ago. Until then, I had never imagined I would not be able to mount my steel spare on the trailer in the event of a flat tire. I immediately bought five open ended lug nuts to keep in with my emergency stuff (jack, tools, etc.). Dunno what Keystone was thinking, including a spare you couldn't use without an appropriate set of nuts.
IMASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:32 AM   #11
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMASAP View Post
I read about this lug nut problem here on this forum a couple years ago. Until then, I had never imagined I would not be able to mount my steel spare on the trailer in the event of a flat tire. I immediately bought five open ended lug nuts to keep in with my emergency stuff (jack, tools, etc.). Dunno what Keystone was thinking, including a spare you couldn't use without an appropriate set of nuts.
Good reminder as I've known this (and forgotten) from experience since I was a teenager in the 70's. It's not a new thing, but does remind me to ensure I have the correct lug nuts for the spare.

One more thing on the list to get before we go on our maiden voyage. I've had several motorhomes, but this is my first TT.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #12
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Check the wheel size and wheel type on the spare on any Ford truck that's equipped with 20" aluminum or cast wheels on the ground......
Oh WONDERFUL! So I probably need 6 more lug nuts for the truck. I’ll have to check that...

Thanks for the heads up.