Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #1
DAMILLER_SR

Wheel Chock

I have two silly questions to ask about the wheel chock stabilizer the attached picture. The 1st question is If I use these do I still need to use ground chocks. The 2nd question is, do I need 1 for each Side of the trailer?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200901-074925_Pinterest.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	29541  
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
Canonman

Never seen this style before. I think there are much easier to use chocks available, i.e. the harbor freight https://www.harborfreight.com/solid-..._psugg_q=chock
I use these ground chocks when loading and unloading the Cougar. If we're staying a few days and I want more stabilization I will add the "X" chocks.
https://www.amazon.com/X-Chock-Wheel...ag=googhydr-20
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Those are the same principle as X chocks. If you use those, you don’t need chocks on the outsides of the tires. I use the BAL C chocks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
jsb5717

I've seen this style...basically the same function as the XChocks, which I've used for years.

To me the chocks shown, or xchocks, are mostly for stabilization, although they will also keep the trailer from rolling away.

I always use the ground chocks when I first park and disconnect my truck. I just leave them there until we go again.

On my previous 5er I would level the trailer, then apply the xchocks to minimize movement. When reconnecting I would remove the xchocks as part of breaking down and leave the ground chocks to the last thing after reconnected with the truck.

With my current 5er I use the ground chocks when unhooking, hit the Auto Level button, tighten my Strong Arms and that's it. I don't need the xchocks any more. I suppose if I were parked on more of a slant I would use them for safety. I do still carry them.

There's more than one way to skin the cat, this is just what I do...YMMV.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
DAMILLER_SR

I'm pretty sure this is going to make me sound like a cheapskate, but I have all the materials for making the X chalk laying around in the backyard waiting for fireplace season to come around. So I thought I would give it a try, but I guess my question is with the X chock, do you still "need" ground chocks?
DAMILLER_SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
jsb5717

Technically no. If you set them when you first park, before you disconnect, and then remove them as the last thing before you pull out you will be fine.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post
I'm pretty sure this is going to make me sound like a cheapskate, but I have all the materials for making the X chalk laying around in the backyard waiting for fireplace season to come around. So I thought I would give it a try, but I guess my question is with the X chock, do you still "need" ground chocks?

IMO yes. I never place my X chocks until the trailer is level. To level the trailer you have to disconnect from the TV. If you happened to be on unlevel ground, as soon as the truck is no longer anchoring the trailer it's going to go where gravity wants it to go; nowhere if flat or "down the mountain" if not. Placing the chocks before disconnecting prevents that, then level which lets the suspension/tires adjust to whatever that ends up being, then place the x chocks to hold that position...as best they can. They do also help to keep the tires from rolling but the ground chocks are more effective IMO. And, those like you pictured (I have similar sets made by Camco I believe) don't seem to be as effective or convenient as the BAL Xchocks.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Not sure I would want to crank a bolt to tighten the home made chock. I agree that the solid rubber Harbor Freight chocks are just fine. I had a set of plastic chocks from Wallys and they got smooooooshed almost immediately. If you forget a rubber HF chock and run over it, it survives (personal testimony here!).
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Canonman

One thing to know about the X chock if you have a tandem axel trailer. The distance and sometimes the angle will change between the tires as you unhook and then level the trailer. That's why I use the rubber ground chocks to positively chock the wheels while unhitching and un-hitching. As the nose of the trailer is raised or lowered the X chock can come loose due to the change of distance between the wheels allowing the trailer to move. Very Scary when it happens. I'm in the ground chocks first and last camp. X chocks for added stability.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_MGL8036.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	393.7 KB
ID:	29542  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I "cheaper out" and made a set of those when we had bought our first tandem axle, a hybrid. The next trailers the wood "X" chocks would not fit under the fenders. The BAL X chocks do fit. My "home made el-cheapos" went into the fire pit.

I too use rubber chocks, disconnect, then place X chocks for stabilizing, then the rubber chocks come out last. I've been in a few sites that I would never trust any X chock to stop it from rolling away. The rubber wheel chocks I use has an eye bolt thru it. I tied a length of 1/4" poly to each pair. Makes it easy to carry and to remove so DW can pull them out if I need to move forward or back a bit to free them with no hands, fingers, or feet in any danger.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #11
Wxman

All this talk about chocks but noticed no one mentioned the Fastway One Step. I really like using. Secure as a rubber chock, but you can put some pressure against the wheels so I think it helps with stabilization as well.
I use the one step on the 'high side'. I level with the Andersen levelers on the low side and then add an X-chock to help stabilize that side.

YMMV, good luck
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:49 PM   #12
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

I have a set of bal x chocks sitting in the basement id like to get rid of. I dont camp anywhere that autolevel cant level and within its useful range its not going anywhere once 3500lbs is on the landing gear. Pm me if youre interested in the x chocks.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:01 AM   #13
BrooksFam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
All this talk about chocks but noticed no one mentioned the Fastway One Step. I really like using. Secure as a rubber chock, but you can put some pressure against the wheels so I think it helps with stabilization as well...…...
YMMV, good luck
Haven't seen these before, I like it and will likely get them...…

EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #14
razor 68

I have a 2018 Lerado 330rl with the auto levelling system. I put ground chocks down when I unhook and x chock after levelled out. if you put x chock on first then it will change when you level out. I have put the x chock on first and found it flopping loose after levelling. I probable do not need the x chocks after the ground control system goes down-it is solid as a rock- but habit so I do it anyway.
razor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #15
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMILLER_SR View Post

Extra chocks won’t hurt it. But aren’t needed.
Just don’t forget one when pulling out! LOL

X-Chocks are probably better. I use one one both sides. Chances of rig moving down the incline with one is nil. But with both sides secured there is no tendency for rig to want to slightly twist.

Your self made versions were the first I saw probably 40 years ago a few camping craftsmen made them for their rigs. Back then you made what worked for you, there was no online shopping, forums, rv stores like now.

You have less than $10 in yours that works... try and match that price for store bought pair that work & last.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:03 AM   #16
LewisB

X-Chocks are intended to provide "stabilization" to a parked vehicle. They should never be used in lieu of true wheel chocks. You simply can not depend on them to safely be a "parking brake" for your trailer!

Name:	BAL X Chocks.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	29638
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
X-Chocks are intended to provide "stabilization" to a parked vehicle. They should never be used in lieu of true wheel chocks. You simply can not depend on them to safely be a "parking brake" for your trailer!

Attachment 29638

XChocks when applied correctly and securely keeps either tire on a tandem axle from moving forward or backward and are a perfect replacement or addition to block chocks. Depending on chock, the plastic have been known to allow rig to move as they can move or slide on gravel or other surface.
X-Chocks will and do supply stabilization as well as safe chock of wheels, especially on inclines.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #18
Tom N OH

The X-chocks will also loosen up as the tires cool down & the air pressures drop after being warm from the drive in. DO NOT rely on them 100%. Always use at least 1 tire chock on the ground just for safety sake.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
XChocks when applied correctly and securely keeps either tire on a tandem axle from moving forward or backward and are a perfect replacement or addition to block chocks. Depending on chock, the plastic have been known to allow rig to move as they can move or slide on gravel or other surface.
X-Chocks will and do supply stabilization as well as safe chock of wheels, especially on inclines.
Ah, NO !!! I can't count the number of times I've installed X-chocks between my tires upon arrival at a campsite and found them "wobbly loose" 3 or 4 hours later. As the tires cool down, they "shrink as the pressure drops"... That means the "space between the tires" gets larger and the X-chocks get loose....

Bottom line, from the manufacturer of X-chocks: DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT TO PREVENT YOUR RV FROM ROLLING.... (that means, in "literal interpretation": Use chocks to prevent your trailer from rolling/use X-chocks to help reduce bounce/wiggle.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Obviously a person can use chocks, x chocks, both together or nothing. Having used x chocks for years and observing folks with them I can only say there is no way I'm using them as the only "chock" for my trailer - and to do so (used per instruction) would require unhitching without any chocking on your tires.

The warning on the label in post 16 says that you level the trailer before adding the x chocks. I won't unhitch unless my tires are chocked. How do you properly install the x chocks if you put them on before unhitching to level? Do you unhitch before adding chocks? I hope not.

Before I started using improved campgrounds only there were many campsites in mountainous terrain that would result in the trailer being "over there" or "down there" if the wedge chocks were not placed before unhitching. These days even some of the "improved" campgrounds have some pretty steep inclines.

I do like my X chocks and use them every time unless I don't unhook. My process would be to chock both sides, unhook and level then place the x chocks before deploying slides (hard to get to tires with the slides out).

Some say that the wedge chocks can move when placed under a tire...and they can, particularly on gravel (btdt) and that causes a bit of apprehension. Something I've learned to appreciate are chocks that are easy to place and remove. Here are a couple of links to some chock systems that work for me.

https://www.campingworld.com/bal-wheel-chock-5623.html

https://www.campingworld.com/fastway...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Having watched my trailer "shift" about a foot backward toward an embankment, seemingly in slow motion, with me being unable to do a thing about it but yell at DW to get away from the back of the trailer (I forgot to chock and it was sliding on the tongue jack), it hit a small berm at the back of the site and stopped. My neighbor decided to stop for lunch on a trip in AK. Had a new GMC with manual tranny. Did not chock and forgot to put tranny in gear. Trailer pulled the truck over the edge of the hill and thankfully hit a tree just as it started. His DW fell out the door and was hurt. Put an unhappy end to that trip and they never used the trailer again. So, I'm a believer in chocks and chocking before you do anything at a campsite. Like everything else, once the mishap begins to unravel there's not a thing you can do about it until it plays out.....however it may end.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote