Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
ADQ K9

Blackstone Griddle Owners

Finally replaced my little 30+ year old Weber "go anywhere" gas grill with a 22"Blackstone griddle. I got the one that comes with the folding legs, and an adapter is on the way so I can hook it directly to the Tumbleweed,I am excited to use it on our first 2020 trip. I have a couple questions though.
How much cooking does one have to do to fully season the griddle?
I seasoned it with about 1TBsp of olive oil 4 times per the owners manual it says you can use any oil of preference, it has a nice dark brown to black color now.
Is the optional bag to carry it worth it, and how do you carry yours in your RV?
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I do not carry mine with me because it has a fixed stand with a cover. I am however looking at getting another one like yours because I just can't seem to find the perfect "all in one" type cooking solution. As far as the bag I would do it. Every grill, stove etc. that I carry has a bag/cover for it. Once you season the flat top and begin using it will be greasy no matter what you do unless you completely strip it and that is a lot of time and work to have to do over and over again. On top of that the drip pan will be oily unless you spend a lot of time cleaning them as well. I figure I would carry one in my pass through if/when I get it for the RV.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
ADQ K9

Danny,
Checked the Blackstone website and the carry bag for my model is sold out I called and they said keep checking back roughly $40 plus shipping not bad to protect the investment IMO. As for the seasoning I liken it to a cast iron pan.
We did get a cleaning kit too and there are aluminium tray inserts for the drip pan.
My Grandparents had an electric griddle they cooked Sourdough(sorry couldn't help it) pancakes on and I have not been able to replicate the taste with grandmas recipe on a non stick griddle/pan one of the reasons I got the Blackstone.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
spade117

I have a 17" that stays with the camper and I store it in the front pass thru. It is easy enough to maneuver that I did not end up getting the carry case for.

I also have the 28" for home use that I put wheels on that I keep in the garage. I have brought this one with us camping once when I knew we would be sharing meals with our camping friends and would be cooking for more than our family at one time. I was able to pack the frame in the bunkhouse area and wrapped the griddle portion in a towel and placed on our bed for travel.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
ADQ K9

Spade,
I am thinking it will fit in the pass through might have to do some rearanging but I also have room in the truck bed. Friends of mine have the 17"and they love it.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #6
CedarCreekWoody

I have the bag for my 17 inch. It includes a cover for when it is sitting on a table plus a canvas bag that completely covers it. I like it.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
Dmhtc1

I too have the 22" blackstone and love it. I have the cover and store it under the bed. Cooking breakfast with this blackstone is the best I have ever used far as not taking forever to cook with. Did the electric griddle for years, they don't last and cook unevenly over time. Clean up is a snap. Scrap, wipe down, re oil and done in minutes.

Dmhtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #8
Customer1

My trailer came with a Capital Grill in the outside kitchen. I remove the grill and installed a 22" Blackstone. The griddle was a perfect fit in the drawer slides the grill was mounted on.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
Danny,
Checked the Blackstone website and the carry bag for my model is sold out I called and they said keep checking back roughly $40 plus shipping not bad to protect the investment IMO. As for the seasoning I liken it to a cast iron pan.
We did get a cleaning kit too and there are aluminium tray inserts for the drip pan.
My Grandparents had an electric griddle they cooked Sourdough(sorry couldn't help it) pancakes on and I have not been able to replicate the taste with grandmas recipe on a non stick griddle/pan one of the reasons I got the Blackstone.

Just as a follow up I just ordered the 22" tabletop Blackstone for the trailer. I just like them so much and this new little grill leaves a lot to be desired. Got the bag for the 28" so I can cover it when placing in the pass thru. Can't wait to get it and get "griddling" again. Non sticks cannot come close to a flat top for taste and cooking quality IMO.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
tech740

I have the same 22 kit as the OP. I have the babe and adapter also. It was seasoned after the initial seasoning pretty well. The bag is great. Put the base in the bottom, the shelf, grease trap and adapter under the lid and you are good to go. We keep ours in the camper full time because I bought the 36 for home.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:46 AM   #11
Ksupaul

Question for you Blackstone users. Do you still use a grill for some things or have to converted to cooking all your food on the Blackstone?
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
BauerAP

We have the tailgater, griddle on one side and grill box/burner(similar to fish fry/boiler) on the other. The 4 legs come off and then it folds down to approximately the size of two stacked metal folding chairs. The grill box is brand new and haven’t used it in a year and a half.
We have the carrying bag and wouldn’t do it any other way. It goes on the drivers side of the pass through. I can slide it in flat and then stand it up. The bag and the adapter hose to hook to the quick connect make life a lot easier.
I cook most everything on it and not sure if we’ve even used the stove inside and we just hit the one year anniversary of this trailer. I can use both sides of it and cook 95% of what I need.
I use it at home quite a bit too. I’m not a gas grill fan as I don’t think it adds anything flavor wise so I’ve got an 18” tabletop charcoal grill if I want to go that route.
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
Question for you Blackstone users. Do you still use a grill for some things or have to converted to cooking all your food on the Blackstone?

I don't have a Blackstone in the camper yet....ordered yesterday and it will be here this coming week. I do have one at home though...

When this one gets here I will still use a gas grill, charcoal grill and my induction cookers outside. I don't like cooking inside and like too many things that a griddle isn't cut out for.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:02 PM   #14
Dmhtc1

For me, Blackstone for breakfast and some dishes ( stir fry, tacos etc). Charcoal for meats and seafood.

Dmhtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #15
tech740

I like a grill for things that cook slow like bbq chicken legs and thighs, black stone for things you want a sear on like burgers and steaks.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #16
socoinc1984

We use the black stone for everything. No mess no grease inside 5th wheel
socoinc1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:46 AM   #17
ADQ K9

The weather guessers said no rain for the next couple days so me and the oldest son started staining the back deck on the stick and brick yesterday. My normal home grill is in the dining room. Not worth it to bring down to ground level while staining the deck. (work smarter not harder) so I just roll it into the dining room for a few days. Wife wants surf and turf for Mothers Day so I think the Blackstone is gonna get used earlier than next weekend.

Yes I pulled the propane tank before I brought the grill inside
Old 05-10-2020, 06:02 AM   #18
kksfish

[QUOTE=ADQ K9;389338
How much cooking does one have to do to fully season the griddle?
I seasoned it with about 1TBsp of olive oil 4 times per the owners manual it says you can use any oil of preference, it has a nice dark brown to black color now.
Is the optional bag to carry it worth it, and how do you carry yours in your RV?[/QUOTE]

We have the larger version for home....when camping I just throw it in the truck!

As far as seasoning it only gets better with time and use! I have been using ours a little over two years (several times a week) and only now consider it well seasoned. Cleans up easily with just a damp towel.....and the DW loves it
Old 05-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #19
donsantell

What to cook on Blackstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post

I cook most everything on it except for steaks. We have a great meat market near where we camp and I prefer to cook them over charcoal on my Weber Kettle grill. Just a matter of preference.

Last year people on this site got talking about The Blackstone Griddles, then I saw the movie "Chef". That did it. I bought the 17 inch Blackstone grill and love it I hadn't had a grilled cheese sandwich in years but after watching the end of the movie I went to the grocery store, bought a loaf of sour dough bread and 5 different cheese and grilled it on the Blackstone. Amazing!!!

The 17 inch stores nicely in the pass through wrapped in an old plastic tarp.
donsantell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #20
Huntme

I have cooked a lot of different foods on my Blackstone grill,fish,venison, Elk,Beef,Chicken,Eggs,Pancakes,potatoes,just t name a few,it is a must,for camping,Hunting.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote