Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
Old Mustanger

Question Raise hitch or lower pin box?

Need to increase the clearance between trailer and truck bed rails and tailgate (new TV). I have a PullRite SiperGlide hitch and they offer a "high profile foot kit" that will raise the hitch 1.5 inches, or I could lower the pin box to the next set of holes. With not thinking about any cost, what is everyone's opinion on which is the best way to go?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
rhagfo

Save your money and lower the pin box. Nice to have ab impact wrench to remove. It can easly be done by one person using front landing gear and blocks on your tailgate. Just leave one set of bolts in and rotate one hole at a time.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Save your money and lower the pin box. Nice to have ab impact wrench to remove. It can easly be done by one person using front landing gear and blocks on your tailgate. Just leave one set of bolts in and rotate one hole at a time.
I agree. When you do it, remember to torque the pin box bolts to about 250 lb ft. We use impact and also after you get the bolts snug, put pressure on the box to simulate it hitched up, or just hitch up and lift the landing gear before final torque.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:53 AM   #4
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Need to increase the clearance between trailer and truck bed rails and tailgate (new TV). I have a PullRite SiperGlide hitch and they offer a "high profile foot kit" that will raise the hitch 1.5 inches, or I could lower the pin box to the next set of holes. With not thinking about any cost, what is everyone's opinion on which is the best way to go?
A good rule to follow is to allow 6 inches or more of clearance between the sides of the bed and the bottom of the 5th wheel trailer to allow for dips and bumps in the road. Another is to have your fifth wheel cab level. If the cab slopes forward you risk blowing out your truck front tires. More information in the link below.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-32477.html
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
MattHelm21

The only gotcha for raising the hitch if you decide to go that route is to make sure there is enough clearance between it and any tonneau cover you have installed. It’s not likely to be a problem but I had an air ride hitch which when unloaded popped up to where it would no longer clear forcing me to depressurize between trips each time.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Maybe it's just me "overthinking things" but I try to average the distance required between the hitch and the pinbox. My thinking is that I don't want the hitch "too far from the bed (the higher it is, the more it "could move or bend" in an emergency, violent movement) and the further the pinbox is lowered, the more torque it "could" apply to the trailer frame. So, for me, I try to adjust the hitch near the middle and the pinbox also near the middle. I just think it's better than having the hitch "at the top, maybe hitting the tonneau cover and the pinbox in the top holes. And the other extreme, the hitch at its lowest setting and the pinbox dropped as far down as it will go.

As I said, maybe it' just me, but keeping things "away from the extremes" when possible, just keeps me from worrying about it as much. It might not make a hill of beans difference, but keeps me happy.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
Randallf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
I have same problem and i called a local RV repair shop and they quoted me $150.00 to add the 1.5 inch. I'm not sure what clearance you'll have if you lower the pin box.
Like to hear what you do. thanks
Randallf
2017 sprinter 5th
2016 Silverado 2500 short bed crew cab
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
Old Mustanger

Thanks y'all for the replies. let me shed a little more light on my situation. The current bed rail clearance is 5" and the tailgate clearance is only 4.5", these new trucks have a lip on the tailgate that sticks up higher than the sides of the bed.
Lowering the pin box will get me an additional 1.25" and the high profile feet will get me 1.5", so I'm deciding between 5.75" or 6" of clearance at the tailgate. Does this change any opinions (the feet list for $122, the lowered pinbox free except for maybe a couple of brown bottles if I get the neighbor's help)?
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 01-25-2020, 05:59 AM   #9
Roscommon48

Either way...it's only money if u go one way��
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #10
Randallf

I'm needing to one or the other. However, my kinpin box has 2 rows of bolts being ussed to hold it on. I have 1 more hole that i could drop it to. The question is ; is 2 bolts on each side strong enough to hiold the rv while pulling it?
I would think not. My Rv is a 2017 Sprinter, 34.5' long. Total weight about 9600lbs dry.
My other issue is ;if i have the hitch lifted 1.5 inches that will clear my tunneau cover on sharp turns. So the question is; will this make the rv un- level when towing?
Randallf
2017 Sprinter 5th wheel
2016 Silverado 4x4 crew cab with a pull rite 1600lb hitch
Old 02-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #11
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallf View Post
I'm needing to one or the other. However, my kinpin box has 2 rows of bolts being ussed to hold it on. I have 1 more hole that i could drop it to. The question is ; is 2 bolts on each side strong enough to hiold the rv while pulling it?
I would think not. My Rv is a 2017 Sprinter, 34.5' long. Total weight about 9600lbs dry.
My other issue is ;if i have the hitch lifted 1.5 inches that will clear my tunneau cover on sharp turns. So the question is; will this make the rv un- level when towing?
Randallf
2017 Sprinter 5th wheel
Doesn't your box have 2 open holes on each side? You should be able to drop the kingpin by 1 hole and still be able to use 4 bolts on each side. It may make it unlevel but probably not enough to cause any problems.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 02-04-2020, 09:49 PM   #12
Randallf

Thanks for your response. My kingpin box has only 1 hole to drop it down to.
Looks like i better raise my hitch
randallf
Old 02-05-2020, 04:42 AM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Can you take a pic and post it? Haven’t seen a pin box that doesn’t have enough holes for 4 bolts on each side.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
dutchmensport

You posted on Jan 23, it now Feb 6. Don't know if you made your choice yet and did the work.

If not, my suggestion is:
1) lower the pin box. This costs nothing.
2) If that does not provide enough clearance, THEN try the foot kit in addition to lowering the pin box.

For all the reasons stated above, do the pin box first. It cost nothing but time and a beer.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #15
tech740

Quote:
Randallf
2017 Sprinter 5th wheel
What I take this to mean is that the pin box utilizes four bolts per side. In its current position it can only be lowered one row or the bottom two bolts on each side will be below the mounting area of the trailer, resulting in only two bolts per side holding the king pin on. If that is the case then I would not recommend it. It came with 4 bolts. It should have 4 bolts engaged in holding it on.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #16
Old Mustanger

[QUOTE=dutchmensport;376334]You posted on Jan 23, it now Feb 6. Don't know if you made your choice yet and did the work.

I posted my choice on the 3rd but it didn't take (probably because I posted it right after another post on this thread).

I decided to raise the hitch because I worried about additional torque on the pin box if lowered (real or imagined). Worked out fine, 7" at the bed rails and 5-3/4 at the tailgate.

I also moved the hitch 1 hole rearward (1 inch) to give me some more clearance with the tailgate down during hitching and unhitching, (a little hard to measure but I'm pretty sure the hitch point is still about 1-1/2" forward of the center of axle).
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old 02-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #17
Randallf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Can you take a pic and post it? Haven’t seen a pin box that doesn’t have enough holes for 4 bolts on each side.
Yes i will try and get a picture today
thanks
Randallf
Old 02-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #18
Randallf

Quote:
Yes i will try and get a picture today
thanks
Randallf
i went out to take a picture of my kingpin and you are correct.i do have the correct holes to drop my kingpin
I guess i was not thinking streight
thanks so much for you response.
Randallf
Old 02-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
i went out to take a picture of my kingpin and you are correct.i do have the correct holes to drop my kingpin
I guess i was not thinking streight
thanks so much for you response.
Randallf
Let us know how that goes.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:29 PM   #20
Randallf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Let us know how that goes.
I sure will. I need to find someone to do it because i don't have the tools
If you know someone in the portland or vancouver area please let me know.
Thanks
Randallf

Tags
hitch