Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #1
Gobirds38

Blue Ox SwayPro Weight Distributing Hitch

Who else uses this hitch? Any issues?

2020 Keystone Passport GT 2521RL 30 FT.
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH 1000 LBS Bars.
2016 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 4X4 All Terrain V8 5.3
Gobirds38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
fjr vfr

I tow a 5th wheel now, but our last trailer was a bumper pull and I used the Blue Ox wdh with it.

I found it worked very well for me and there were no issues to speak of.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:27 AM   #3
Mikendebbie

Our previous RV was a Laredo 330RL travel trailer and I bought a used Blue Ox hitch on Craigslist for $250. Used it for 2 years. Sold it on Craigslist for $250. Watched the video online to set it up on my truck. I loved that hitch. I pulled the trailer with 2014 Chevy 3500 SRW and it was like I had no trailer at all! No sway! I did feel it when an 18 wheeler passed me but not bad. Backing up was easy with that hitch. The head of the hitch is heavy but I managed ok.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 04:17 AM   #4
CFDfireman90

I ran one for my last trailer. At first with a Toyota Tacoma, then a Tundra. Was very pleased with it.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
Gobirds38

I notice that the hitch has some grease fittings on it, have you ever needed to put grease in them? If so what kind?

Old 01-17-2020, 06:26 AM   #6
Loum35

Chose Blue OX Sway Pro

I use the Blue OX Pro on the same 2020 Keystone GT 2521 that you have. Only pulled around a100 miles with it to date. I do like it.
Loum35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:31 AM   #7
Loum35

Chose Blue OX Sway Pro

GOBIRD38

As stated I have the same trailer bought late last year and was only able to take a weekend trip before winter. I was happy with it. Have you camped many days in it? Anything about it you can share?
Loum35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:27 AM   #8
Mikendebbie

I did grease mine a time or two...but I don't remember it being a "life and death" thing. I'm sure you can read about it on the website or in a video.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
Gobirds38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loum35 View Post
GOBIRD38

As stated I have the same trailer bought late last year and was only able to take a weekend trip before winter. I was happy with it. Have you camped many days in it? Anything about it you can share?
I have not camped in it yet. I bouyght it in November last year. It was already winterized so we didn't go out in it yet. I am just rying to learn as much as I can before we do. We haven't camped in about 15 years so semi newbies...

Old 01-17-2020, 05:19 PM   #10
Northofu1

I love mine, no issues with it. Over 10000 miles only thing I had to do was grease it to get it to stop squeaking. Got one for my uncle, he loves it too.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #11
Scott in Michigan

We have a Blue Ox Sway Pro and are very pleased.

It replaced a CAMCO R3 that was provided and set up by Camping World. That is until the CAMCO hitch adjustment screw stripped and the head slammed back to the vertical position. I chronicled the CAMCO R3 matter in another thread on this board. If you have an R3 - read it.

Back to the Blue Ox Sway Pro. We find it provides good weight distribution and good sway control. We have a 32 foot Cougar & 2016 F250. It's a stout hitch and built well.

My recommendation though would be to throw the handle Blue Ox provides in the scrap metal bin. Replace it with a cheater bar and appropriate socket.

Also, before you attach the chains at the trailer A-frame, pre-swing the arc of the tool to make sure you clear propane tanks and other obstructions. A cheater bar that has a swivel head is useful. I use the cheater from my three-quarter inch socket set.

The instructions Blue Ox provides about counting chain links is rather ambiguous. PM me and I would share my method.

Very satisfied with our Blue Ox.

Scott
Michigan
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:53 AM   #12
Mikendebbie

I never had any issues with clearance to use the blue ox handle. It may be unique to certain RV models but certainly something to keep in mind.

Once I had the proper chain link identified, I wrapped a small piece of electrical tape on the link to make easy to find every time without counting.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #13
xrated

I had a B.O. Sway Pro when I had my Impact 303 and I thought that it did a great job with weight distribution as well as sway prevention. One of the first things I did with mine though is to get rid of the B.O. pullups for the chains and switch over to the StrapTek winch system. This makes the B.O. Sway Pro a lot easier to use and I guarantee that you will NEVER struggle with getting the system hooked up ever again. I sold my entire system when I went with a 5ver trailer, as I obviously no longer had a need for W.D. systems.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #14
Scott in Michigan

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Clearance in the swing of the tool is only an issue if you're using a breaker bar. And that points directly to the shortcoming of the tool that comes with the hitch. It's just too short to provide adequate leverage.

From our CAT scale readings I came to the conclusion that for good weight distribution there is enough force on the trunnion bars that the OEM tool does not provide adequate leverage to safely engage the chains.

The force required to engage the chains in the latch is not linear. It increases toward the end of the stroke. A fellow could get to the 95% point and then have it spin backwards and unwind. That would be unpleasant. There are several accounts attesting to that.

Blue Ox is the best of the three WD hitches I have owned. I'm very satisfied with it
Old 01-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #15
Scott in Michigan

How many of us ran to look up the Strap Tek system right away? I did.

Very interesting.

It looks like it uses a ratchet to incrementally tension the strap.

This RV stuff is so interesting. All sorts of worthwhile gadgets and workarounds.

I told my wife we are all essentially Preppers, but enjoy comfort at the same time.

Scott
Old 01-19-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
goducks

I've used several WDH's over the years. I'm currently using a BO now. I hate the OEM style chain ups. Unhitching is nasty even with an 18" breaker bar. I have 1350 lbs for TW and need the chains cranked pretty tight (10 links) to get enough weight transfer. (Ram 2500). I purchased some StrapTeks but haven't had a chance to try them. Looking at the videos they seem to be much easier to use.
If I knew what I knew now I'd of opted for a EquaLizer with 4 pt sway. I used one on a previous TT 7 years ago and although noisier it was much easier to hitch up.
What I don't like about the BO is you need to be pretty much straight front to back and not in a Vee where the TT's tongue and trucks rear are down. If you're not straight then one of the chains is put in a stressed position making unhitcing harder.
If the truck and TT are in a Vee then that puts extra stress on the spring bars making the unhitching part even more dramatic.
It also depends on what spring bars you're using and how many links you need. 1000 lbs bars on 9 links with a 800 lbs of TW isn't going to have the same stress as 1500-2000 lbs bars on 10 links.
And yes I do jack up my truck to make hitching easier. For the same amount of money I could've got an EQ as I did for the BO plus StrapTeks.
I've also used a Hensley Arrow that I bought used. That was by far the best of the WDH's I used. Bought it for $950 and sold it for $900.
As far as greasing the hitch goes, BO recommends greasing before every trip. I only grease it when it seems like it might need it. Whats a trip? 100 miles or 1000 miles?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:32 AM   #17
Scott in Michigan

In the Straptek system, how do you control the rate of release? The ratcheting system makes it incremental when you're tensioning, but what about when releasing tension on the straps? Scott
Old 01-19-2020, 10:02 AM   #18
goducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
In the Straptek system, how do you control the rate of release? The ratcheting system makes it incremental when you're tensioning, but what about when releasing tension on the straps? Scott
At 1:33 in this video it shows a quick look at releasing the tension.

Here's another.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #19
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
It is extremely easy and simple. I will preface this with what I used when I still had mine; a long handle, 1/2" drive ratchet wrench with the proper size socket (I have forgotten the size of the socket, since I no longer have that setup). So you are getting ready to release the tension on one of the StrapTek winches. Set the ratchet wrench to the position as if you were going to tighten or apply more tension to the spring bars. You also want the have the handle positioned so that as you start releasing the tension, you can easily control the tension. Push down on the wrench handle just enough to release the locking mechanism on the StrapTek winch. Slowly start easing the tension off and continue until the wrench handle gets to a position that it might be hard to control. At that point, release the spring loaded latch lock and let it lock into place again (it is still hold tension of the spring bar at this point). Once it's locked again, simply ratchet the wrench handle around to the same position as when you started (so you can control it), push down just enough to release the StrapTek locking mechanism and then slowly release more of the spring bar tension. Repeat until there is no more spring tension on the spring bars. Go to the other side and follow the exact same procedure. If you are using a ratchet wrench, you will have to reverse the direction of it via the little know or whatever your ratchet wrench uses to change from tightening to loosening. Once you get used to the procedure and how it works, you can safely and easily disconnect from the trailer in less than a minute......AND.......no fear of the wrench getting away from you and causing injury.........like the original B.O. can do when the "cam" rolls over Top Dead Center and the tension is released all at once, in about 3 milliseconds.

And I might add, using the StrapTek system no longer required that you use the Tongue Jack to raise the hitch and trailer in order to get the proper number of chains hooked up, since there is no longer any chains to deal with. You simply back the truck up to the trailer, lower the trailer onto the ball and lock the trailer hitch, hook up the StrapTek "J" hooks to the spring bars and winch them up to the proper tension on both sides.

One of the things I did when I had mine was BEFORE removing the B.O. system, I hooked up to the trailer, tensioned the springbars, then took a measurement to determine the distance from the end of the springbar to the "A" arm of the trailer tongue. Write it down on a piece of paper. Once you change them out and have the StrapTeks on the trailer, simply winch the springbars up so that you get that same measurement that you wrote down. That, takes all the guess work out of it and you are ready to go...........that is, if you had the proper tension settings originally.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #20
goducks

You shouldn't have to hitch up to get the measurement. You should just be able to insert the chain link in the cam tension'er and crank it up. There's no stretching so the spring bars are always in the same spot. With mine I have 2.5 links showing so thats a set distance.

Tags
hitch