Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 07:38 AM   #1
SkiSmuggs

Weird Stuff with my Cougar HC 299RLS

In 2015 while traveling across the country, a wheel bearing failed in Idaho and scored the spindle. The repair shop pulled the 4400 lb axle and shipped to Dexter in SLC so they could be sure to get it right. Dexter turns it around in a week and the new axle gets installed.
Skip forward to June 2, 2019 while returning home from 10 days in Boothbay, ME, we get pulled 15 miles from home by a trooper who tells us our RV in on fire. It was a wheel bearing on the same axle that was replaced. We find a shop to work on it as RV dealers in the area are booked through August. The shop pulls the hub, declares the spindle serviceable and orders a new 4400 lb hub from etrailer.com. When it arrives, it doesn't fit, so they take the parts from the good side which fits to a trailer shop. The trailer shop says that is from a 3500 lb axle and orders the parts from their distributor.
So Dexter, even with the old 4400 lb axle four years ago, gets it wrong and gives us an axle that is both wrong and under rated for our 10K fiver. I am miffed, but 4 years later not likely to get any satisfaction from Dexter.
We'll go with what we have to get back on the road, but next spring, I will have both axles and springs replaced with 5200 lb units to get our Cougar ready for long trips with bigger bearings and brakes.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
travelin texans

Someone wasn't paying any attention as most axles have a 2"×3" +/- tag stuck on them stating the axle rating, which should've been the 1st thing they checked when they received the replacement axle.
Sounds like a lot of rv service centers, do just enough to shut up the customer & get them out the door, let the buyer beware!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
SkiSmuggs

I think they just didn't have a 4400 lb axle in stock and used the more common 3500 axle instead. It is hard to find 4400 lb axles online, but plenty of 3500, 5200 and 6000 axles.
The 5200 axles have 12" brakes and the lighter axles have 10" brakes. Plus the 3500 and 4400 share some parts.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar