Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
scootadja

Newbie buyer beware!

New here and to towing fifth wheel. Here is our story. Last year husband and I both retired and bought our first fifth wheel, a 27SAB. we had a 5.7 gas Toyota Tundra.We brought the camper home parked it in the driveway and started planning our first trip. Well never got out of the driveway. We got hit by a tornado. The camper was a complete loss. We went back to CW and the same salesman. We bought a 2011 276RLS. Not the model we wanted but still very nice. Now the problem. We were told both campers are 1/2 ton towable. Stickers all over both campers 1/2 ton towable. The Tundra was rated 10,800 lbs for towing. We pulled into a rest stop that also was a check point for semi trucks. A state trooper came over and looked over our setup. He informed us the 276RLS was too much weight for the bed of the truck! The camper weight is 7,182lbs. Well we decided to trade in the truck. There is no 1/2 that can handle the bed weight. We bought a 3/4 Dodge Ram. Now CW tells me that it will cost me $550 bucks to put the rails in the new truck and that they can not get the bracket for the Ram so they would rig it? I am not a happy camper. I feel this mess is CW fault and that I was deceived by them and Keystone. Love the new truck, but the Toyota was only a year old. Feel I was had. So buyer beware do your homework before you buy. Scootadja
scootadja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Hunter757

Scootadja, sorry to hear that happend to you. Look around at some local shops that install hitch's they can install for much cheaper then CW. I paid 150.00 to install the rails in my new Ford. Enjoy the new truck and think of it as being safe knowing you can handle your fifth wheel going down the highway.

2008 F350 4x4 LB CC 6.4 twin turbo PSD
Prodigy P2 brake controler
Hijacker 16K Double pivot ultra
2007 Montana Mountaineer 307RK
New to us on 8/12/2011:
Hunter757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:40 AM   #3
Paddler

Very sorry to read about your costly mistake. Unfortunately, RV Salepeople are primarily interested in making the sale, rather than how well your tow vechicle will handle your new toy. So yes, it is a buyer beware situation.

Our local dealer always runs a capacity check on the tow vehicle prior to finalizing the sale. Then they have you sign it, so they have proof, you were given the facts and you did what you did.

Had you purchased a travel trailer of the same weight, I believe you would have been very happy with the performance of the Toyota. Unfortunately, the Toyota's weakness is its payload capacity and when it comes to 5th wheels...that be important.

Congrats on your new rig, hope you get the hitch mounted and can begin to enjoy your retirement.

Best wishes,
Old 08-28-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
raytronx

I have a 2011 276RLS. i took it to he scales once we were all loaded up and it weights 9000 lbs. No way I would tow it with a 1/2 ton. I can't believe they can put that sticker on there.
raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
Flyguy

Too bad about the Cougar 27SAB X-Lite, it would have been a good match for the Tundra. The 276RLS is too heavy both in pin weight and towing weight. I would have kept the Tundra and looked for another 27SAB. When you tow with a 1/2 ton you have to know what the numbers are and don't pay any mind to the advertisement stickers. JMHO
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
2011 keystone

So buyer beware do your homework before you buy. Scootadja
NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!11
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
scootadja

Thank you all. I love the new truck and the camper. When we get the rails in I think it will ease our minds that it is safer. Just been a rough year with the tornado and the way some people are out for a buck. Would really like to know WHAT half ton can pull this camper. I could not find one so how can keystone put decals on saying half ton towable? My husband loved the Toyota. We never owned a ram let alone a 3/4 ton. The salesman said the toyota would tow it no problem. Guess he did'nt lie. Tundra was rated at 10,800 lbs. The bed weight was the problem. Oh Well live and Learn. Thanks Everyone Scootadja
scootadja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
eds451

Tundra to Dodge

Take the wayback machine to 2002. The DW and I are camping in an old tent trailer with a 96' S10 as the TV. While camping we start trailer shopping and wind up buying a Toyota Tundra to pull a "real" trailer. Loved that truck!!! Fast forward to last year. No trailer yet and went camping again, this time in a KOA cabin. The following week I surprised the DW by buying a 2010 Dodge 2500HD. Then went shopping for a 5er. Found our 07 Cougar at CampingWorld. The salesman's first question was what kind of truck do we have? They installed the hitch no problems. We are very happy with our TV and 5er from CW.
My point...would have bought a Toyota if they had a 3/4 ton. But my Dodge out pulls my friends Chevy 2500HD. AND..get the correct TV before you buy the RV.
eds451 is offline   Reply With Quote