Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #21
itat

When looking at a Cougar 5th wheel recently (thus the reason I came to this forum), the axles were the one significant difference that I noticed between it and the 2 Rockwood TTs I've owed. Rockwood puts uses Dexter's Torflex torsion suspension axles but Cougar uses leaf springs. I much prefer the torsion axles.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #22
Larkin

Spare Tire

Did your unit come with a spare tire?

I was surprised when I bought my Atlantis Class C. It didn't come with a spare tire from the factory. Its a win-win for the company. Saves weight and cost. After several blowouts, I now carry a complete spare now and an extra unmounted tire.
Larkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #23
CaptnJohn

If your 5er has 50 amp service I'd be shocked if it was not prewired for the 2nd AC. If 30 amp, all bets are off. Easy to check ~ just remove the inside of the hatch cover.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #24
larryflew

IMO all brands manuals are POS and almost totally worthless. Start collecting the individual manuals on line or emailing MFGs. Once you get to Lippert things go smoothly.

Getting the Lippert app from their web site is really a great thing to have. https://www.lci1.com/mylci
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
When looking at a Cougar 5th wheel recently (thus the reason I came to this forum), the axles were the one significant difference that I noticed between it and the 2 Rockwood TTs I've owed. Rockwood puts uses Dexter's Torflex torsion suspension axles but Cougar uses leaf springs. I much prefer the torsion axles.
Sort of like Mustang (until recently) had a solid rear axle and Camaro had "independent suspension. Which is better depends more on what you're using it for than what it's called....

Airstream has used torsion suspension since the 50's. It works "GREAT" (as long as it works) but if you ever have a problem, try to get it fixed (not replaced) and you'll find a difficult path to navigate.....

Really, both systems have their benefits and disadvantages and it boils down to a matter of choice and affordability.

Essentially, when you compare a $40K trailer from Rockwood with a $40K trailer from Keystone, all things being equal, if there's an extra $2000 in axle cost to the manufacturer, there's a $2000 "adjustment" made in some other part of the trailer to keep it at the same price point..... I'm not saying Rockwood is better/worse, just that if all else is equal with more expensive axles, it's not the same price.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #26
CWtheMan

IMO, an important section in the owner's manual is about warranties for equipment not covered on the Keystone warranty. The package they provided you may include information about such items and how to insure they are properly registered. No one expects things like a water heater to fail on first use. It can if the delivery driver turned it on without water in it. Same goes for a lot of other things they may have been inadvertently activated during the transit from the factory to the dealer. Dealers can do it also, especially if the unit was moved to an RV show location. PDI is the place to make sure everything is in advertised working order.

There is also a section that lists all active wheel & tire manufacturer's by OEM providers and brand, including their phone numbers. Make sure the tires were registered by Keystone or the dealer.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
We have a 2011 keystone bullet Premier. It has the dexter ez lube axels. Hand pump geese gun works best. A few pumps and you can see grease come out the front of the bearings. Just a little goes a long way. Hope this helps.
If you chose to lube the bearings by the EZ lube system, just be sure annually to tear them apart to inspect everything especially the rear grease seal or risk contaminating your brakes with grease.
Personally hand pack annually & NEVER use the EZ lube!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #28
66joej

[QUOTE=JRTJH;301356]Sort of like Mustang (until recently) had a solid rear axle and Camaro had "independent suspension. Which is better depends more on what you're using it for than what it's called....

Just a bit of trivia re: the Mustang but the '99 - '04 SVTs had IRS (independent rear suspensions). I have owned 3. Quite the car in their day. Heads were larger than the Boss 429. Replaced in '05 with the rebirth of the Shelby.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #29
hardlyworn

3600lb vs 4400lb vs 5200lb axles

I just returned from a wonderful two-week, 3600km trip across Newfoundland. While taking a little Friday afternoon side-road exploration through Gambo, I had a wheel bearing failure. Thank goodness it was in a 40kph zone and not at highway speed! To make a loooong story bearable... the bearings and seal were destroyed, and the electric brake assembly was damaged beyond repair. The bearing was an odd size that was not stocked by the local garage, nor nearby parts store. The 10x2.25" 6-bolt brake assembly had a weird bolt pattern impossible to match. Some fantastic people in Gambo at AutoPlus patched the wheel together with a combination of new and used bearings (from an old brake drum behind the building) enough to drive 3 hours to St. John's. That's where the research began. After several stops and calls to several places, I ended up speaking to a gentleman at Ashford Sales Ltd. He was extremely knowledgeable, and had every part I needed. He shared with me lots of information about Dexter axles. The light trailers take a 3600 lb axle, and the heavier ones do best with a 5200 lb axle. The 4400 lb axle is a product of a company that Dexter had bought out. It was the opinion of a Dexter representative that Dexter continues to manufacture and sell the 4400 lb axle because it yields such great results in replacement parts due to it's being prone to failure. He told me that parts for the 4400 lb axle are double what they are for the 5200 lb version, and then proved it to me by charging twice as much for the 5300 lb brake assemblies on the shelf! LOL
To sum things up, he advised me that if I ever had to replace an axle, it would be cheaper to install 2 of the 5200 lb axle assemblies then it would be to replace one of the 4400 lb axel's. That, combined with the fact that the 5200 come with a 12in brake instead of a 10 inch brake makes it an easy choice.
hardlyworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #30
tomd

Your VIN number is the necessary key to use for determining what Keystone provided. You would have to call Keystone with VIN and your ID and you can get exactly what was built in the factory. They answered my questions on specific items, did not get the 'whole list'.

There should also be a sheet provided by dealer with part model numbers and serial numbers for options. I found it very useful already to get toilet part number.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #31
mazboy

Welcome to roving. U will have to discover on your own
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #32
Cracker727

Verification of the “Build Sheet”

We purchased a new Cougar 25RES and we received the same packet of manuals along with the BS. Since the overall writing on the BS was not legible for the most part I created a spreadsheet listing all the components noted on the BS. Then I put on some dirty clothes and crawled all over my Cougar to re-record and verify all the manufacturers, model numbers and serial numbers. With the updated information I was able to visit each of the manufacturer’s websites and for the most part capture almost all the necessary information about the items supplied with my Cougar. I verified the tire info and popped off the wheel hub covers to verify ezlube wheel bearings. With going through this exercise I feel l know my Cougar right down to the S/N’s of my two axles. Yes it is a lot of information to gather and digest. Welcome to the forum.
Cracker727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #33
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker727 View Post
We purchased a new Cougar 25RES and we received the same packet of manuals along with the BS. Since the overall writing on the BS was not legible for the most part I created a spreadsheet listing all the components noted on the BS. Then I put on some dirty clothes and crawled all over my Cougar to re-record and verify all the manufacturers, model numbers and serial numbers. With the updated information I was able to visit each of the manufacturer’s websites and for the most part capture almost all the necessary information about the items supplied with my Cougar. I verified the tire info and popped off the wheel hub covers to verify ezlube wheel bearings. With going through this exercise I feel l know my Cougar right down to the S/N’s of my two axles. Yes it is a lot of information to gather and digest. Welcome to the forum.
Took me a bit to figure out that the BS you were referring to was Build Sheet and not the other kind of BS. The context for not hell a lot at first. LOL.[emoji41]

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #34
itat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker727 View Post
Great idea, Cracker. Its all good info to have in a handy place in case you need it. I also agree that downloading manuals from the manufacturers' websites is the best way to ensure you have a complete package. I keep my manufacturer manuals on an iPad that always comes with us when we go camping.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote