Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
zukafire

whats wrong

I have a very small lite weight TT (empty 2500 max 3700?) But it does have brakes. So when I got it I bought a prodigy p2 brake contral unit. Now the problem I have is when the power meter on the brake contal unit goes above three it starts to flash and it feels like no more power is being sent to the brakes,it happen with the foot pedle and on the manual slide. There is not even enough force to make the brakes lock up under full bost and the manual slide at full. Were should I start to look for my problem. Thanks for any help
zukafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Under the trailer, at each axle are two wires. They are the brake magnet electrical connection. Often times they are only connected to the trailer wiring harness using twist on caps. Check them to make sure that they are not corroded and that the wires are in good condition. Additionally, check your ground at the TV connector and on the trailer. You might have a loose or corroded ground wire. It's probably not a serious problem, check all your connections and you'll probably fix the problem.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
KenBob

I think some more info may be needed about your trailer.
Going on the assumption that your TT is the Bobcat you have listed in your profile, the trailer could be 10 years old and have some mechanical issues. How long have you had it? Have you had the brakes inspected, adjusted, and wiring inspected? Is the prodigy the first controller you have used with this trailer? Help us help you.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 AM   #4
zukafire

Wink

It is the bobcat and it is 10 years old and this would be the first brake contaler I have used. I did have the drums off it when I first brought it home and the lining was in good shape would have to guess at least 60% left. This weekend ill go back through and check brake adjustment and wireing.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
KenBob

What is the Prodigy displaying when it flashes? Does that match anything on the Prodigy troubleshooting chart? I tried to use what you wrote and the closest thing is a wiring problem.

It is a good thing to go over your rig carefully and make sure all is working properly.
KenBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #6
Terrydactile

Is everything else that connects through the pigtail working properly? Running lights, turn signals, brake lights, 12v charge? A previous owner may have wired their own plugs and the trailers plug may not match up to yours. All should be standard but I've run into a few that were wired incorrectly by previous owners. It worked for them because the truck and trailer matched up for them but did not for me. Found out they wired it themselves and was not to standard.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I still lean toward a wiring problem. Either corrosion or a bad/intermittent ground.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
hankaye

zukafire, Howdy;

One other thing, when you check the wireing, check to be sure that there are no breaks in the wireing INSIDE THE INSULATION. It happens. You can't see it you have to feel for it. Sometimes showes as an interrmintent fault. sometimes just a continuious fault. Always something else to check, isn't there.

One way to see if the ground is bad is turn on parking lights then turn on a turn signal. If the parking lights flash the ground is bad / loose.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
zukafire

Ok thanks for all the susgestions. Now I know how to spend my Sunday after noon, working on everthing in the the drive way that has tires
Old 06-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #10
zukafire

Well over the weekend I got a chance to look for my problem and I found a wire that had rubed through at the left side coming out of the axle tube. Fixed the wire took trailer for a test tow and the brakes work grate now. I would like to thank everone for there help and susgestions.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
hankaye

zukafire, Howdy;

Glad to hear that you have solved the problem..

Happy Summer!

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukafire View Post
Well over the weekend I got a chance to look for my problem and I found a wire that had rubed through at the left side coming out of the axle tube. Fixed the wire took trailer for a test tow and the brakes work grate now. I would like to thank everone for there help and susgestions.
Glad you found the problem. The problem you described fixing is a very common issue. I reran my brake wires on the outside of the axle tube to try and head off this problem.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
rjsurfer

Glad we could help, a great trick to tell if the brake magnets are working is to hold a compass near the drum and have someone in the cab of the truck max out the brakes by swinging the lever to the right on the controller, the compass needle will swing towards the drum if everything is OK.

If you see no compass deflection the brake magnet is not being activated....usually a broken wire.

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote