Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
azr405

CPAP Sleep Apnea

Was just wondering if there is anyone else that uses a CPAP machine to remedy the Sleep Apnea that some of us have. We camp at sites that have electrical hook however we are planning to camp in areas that have no service. I have a generator however was wondering if anyone has a battery system that would run the CPAP all night and then recharge the batttery pack using solar panels or the generator.
Thanks for your help and what a great site this Forum is. Was having trouble with my docking lights staying on and checked on here and problem solved with the remote issue
azr405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
Txoutback

How much current/power does this device draw?
You may be able to power it with a low wattage inverter running off of a designated 12V battery. Size your inverter properly if you go this route. Don't use a 3KW inverter if you only require 500W due to inefficiency losses.

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
ktmracer

Use mine all the time in the trailer.
First, with a couple of 6V golf cart batteries you can go a long time with a CPAP especially if your CPAP has a 12V input. If not you'll need a small inverter.

Second, Here is the BEST choice for dry camping. Check this website for a CPAP battery and nice small inverter if needed. It will run a CPAP for multiple days on one charge, can be recharged from your car or trailer battery, is compact and in my case I was able to buy it with health care reimbursement pre tax $ since it is considered a medical accessory. IIRC it resmed CPAP's must use the inverter, not 12V, but mine is a REMSTAR and it works fine.

link: http://www.batterypowersolutions.net/

I have the C-222 battery pack and small inverter.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #4
gkainz

I've been on CPAP for years and run mine on 12V in the RV. Mine's a Puritan Bennett GoodNight 420 (12V in) that claims to draw 1.5A max - varies based on pressure setting. Mine draws much less than that, and I've run it for 3 nights on a Schumacher PP2200 22ah, 400W portable power pack (tent camping). Of course, this is NOT using the humidifier heater, which draws considerably more amperage.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #5
azr405

Thanks very much for the info. I will have to check into where I can purchase the C-222 here in Canada however if not will order from the website provided. If I may ask what was a ball park price for the whole setup.
What a great site this is. So easy to find out info from all the people that enjoy RVing.
azr405 is offline   Reply With Quote