Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
scottz

Ford Super Duty Rotors

Anyone else have trouble with Ford Super Duty (250/350) front disc rotors warping?

I had to replace a set on my previous truck and just replaced a set on my current truck which only has 25k on it.

I know these trucks are heavy and I probably pull a 5th wheel 50% of the time (mostly in the mountains) but it seems to me these rotors are not holding up as they should.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or are my braking skills lacking (I thought I was pretty careful). Heading out this weekend (with new rotors) going to see if I can turn up the bias on the 5th wheel brakes to help out a little more.

On another note; has anyone else replaced these rotors? I did it yesterday and thought I was going to die before I got the caliper bracket bolts out and back in. Had an 18" breaker bar and could still barely turn them. I could only get my air impact wrench on the bottom one and it struggled too.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
MattHelm21

9000 miles and I had such vibrations. Ford resurfaced all four rotors to fix it. I guess I'll see where I am in another 9000 miles.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:20 AM   #3
xcntrk

Ironically I was just researching new brake parts over on the power stroke forums.

For OP: I noticed you have a diesel but given your year you don't have the exhaust brake correct? Man that exhaust brake is amazing! I use mine every time I tow. Turn it on and leave it on, works great. Never have to ride the brakes on grades, let the transmission and the turbo back pressure do the work for you.

With that said, I have not experienced any warping however I am experiencing rather rapid wear. I'm at 30k miles and my stopping power is to the point where I need to replace either the front rotors/pads or all around. Not sure if OE parts would be the best choice or to roll the dice with aftermarket.

As for the trailer, I keep my 16k lb Fuzion 5'er on the highest brake controller setting of 10. That trailer is way too heavy to lock up a tire on pavement and the stronger brake setting works great without jerking the truck. When I tow my smaller trailers however, I turn the setting WAYYY down as they're much lighter.

xcntrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:53 AM   #4
notanlines

Just passed 98k on our F350. We tow roughly half those miles. New pads in front at 75k and having rear done as we speak. We have not had rotor problems with Fords since the early 2000's.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #5
scottz

No, the 2014 6.7 does not have an exhaust brake. It does have the smart transmission that downshifts on grades; love that.

Brake pad wear is something I don't have a problem with. I usually get about 75k out of the OEM pads. My experience on all my cars (mostly Fords) is that the OEM pads are the best. I seldom get the same performance out of aftermarket pads. Having said that, when you buy the Duralast Gold from Autozone, they have a lifetime warranty. I've taken worn out pads in and they give me a new set.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
cant_remember_ID

Scottz, you might want to check on having an exhaust brake. I have a 2011 6.7 F350 and it has an exhaust brake. It isn't a Jake brake like on the big rigs. I understand they use the variable vanes in the turbo to limit exhaust kind of doing the same thing. I understand the new trucks do have a better system, but I think mine works pretty well. I came down highway 50 from South Lake Tahoe to Carson City last week, I set the cruise at 40mph, the truck popped down to second and held the speed all the way down. I didn't touch the brakes once. The motor home that got to the stop light at the bottom just behind me had smoking brakes.

But to get back to your original question, I have 55,000 miles and not issues with warping that I have noticed.
cant_remember_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #7
CFS

Aftermarket Rotors

My TV is an F150 and tow a 2510 Passport around Houston TX area, I switched to Powerstop rotors and pads-they are awesome. I highly recommend them and follow the break-in procedures exactly as they say, there are videos to watch as well. They might cost a little more then OEM but you will stop-I have 6K on mine, they work great with low brake dust. Just my opinion and I have no affiliation with them just a happy customer. The engine brake that was recommended would be a good idea as well, aftermarket kits for the diesel are getting cheaper. Good luck!
CFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
SummitPond

Our 2012 F250 has about 75K on it. We bought it used with about 50K on it, so I don't know what transpired prior to that time. Just had an oil change and they did an overall check; my front brakes are AOK, they said to "keep an eye out" on the back ones (in range of 5 mm).

Being gas versus diesel, I use tow haul with cruise control to manage downhill speeds - it seems to relieve me of using the brakes; the transmission automatically downshifts to maintain the set speed, and (so far) has done a good job of it. We've traveled back roads through the Rockies (CO), Alleghenies (PA), White (NH) and I-77 south coming out of VA into NC (Blue Ridge) with no problems.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
mtofell

I've warped rotors on several HD trucks. I have to think it's me I have a tendency to hit my brakes soft as I roll to stops just to make a smoother ride which I suppose builds up more heat and leads to warping.

I haven't had a Ford for 10+ years so that experience is probably not useful. I did have my 2006 Chevy HD rotors turned about every 40K miles and @ 50K my Ram HD feel rotors feel a bit warped but not bad enough to do anything about yet.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
MattHelm21

The rule of thumb I've been taught is if you know your brakes are hot, don't let the caliper sit in one place on the rotor for long. That means creeping at stop lights if necessary and no parking brake if possible. The uneven heat transfer from the caliper to the rotor when not turning will be the most likely cause of warping.

That being said, all these great habits of mine didn't do squat to prevent the problem.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't had any problems with Ford rotors on any of our SUV's or trucks in the past 15 years. I say that with the knowledge that Ford no longer recommends "resurfacing" rotors on any of their vehicles during "brake replacement". It was explained to me that with the CAFE requirements all the auto manufacturers are trying to cut as much weight as they can "safely" (not reliably) cut from the overall vehicle. They have reduced the mass of the rotors to "near minimum wall thickness" and there's just not enough to machine a flat surface like there was "years ago".... That said, I know people who have done their own brakes, taken their Ford rotors to an independent machine shop to have them resurfaced. Almost all of them are replacing rotors within the first year or so after machining them. Seems that they remove enough of the mass when "truing" the surface and there's not enough rotor left to stay "flat and level" with any heavy braking.

So, since 1993, on 6 Ford trucks and either 8 or 9 Ford car/SUV's, as I said, no problems with rotors. The only one we owned long enough to do any brake replacement was the 2008 Escape and I replaced the rotors on the front when I replaced the discs. The rear drums were replaced by Ford at about 60K miles when they did the rear brakes just before the extended warranty expired. No they weren't covered but the vehicle was in for warranty repairs to other systems and I asked them to do the rear brakes while it was "out of service"...

In "days long ago" I would have machined rotors/drums without any added thought. On today's trucks, it's almost as cheap to replace a rotor as it is to machine one and then run the risk of having to replace it within a year....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford