Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
linux3

From SUV to Pickup.

OK, let me start by saying I was kinda wrong.
I had an Explorer Sport with 365 HP and a 5k tow packages. I was sure this was a good setup. Lots of power and a very firm suspension.

Well, today I brought my TT home from storage to check things out and then on to a dealer for inspection. I took the long route.
New TV is a Silverado 1500 with a 5.3 L V8.
No doubt, all the people here who said I needed a pickup were right. The difference between the Explorer being OK and the Silverado pulling with a out breaking a sweat is huge.
OK, OK, I admit it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170420_135655.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	12349
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
BuxCamper

Been there, done that.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:16 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I've been there Rob, and now you have too. I think you're going to enjoy your trailer much more towing with the truck vs the Explorer - you made a good choice.

Your trailer won't max you out in any way but when you replace your tires you would probably benefit from some heavier LT tires (I'm assuming the Silverado came with P tires). They will help stabilize the rear even more and make it n more enjoyable to tow. Good luck.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
Cbrez

Rob,
Looks great. In addition to the obvious benefits of the truck over the SUV, I expect you sit higher in the truck and have better long range view going down the road and better side view mirrors for backing and lane changing. And It won't surprise me if there is a golf cart in the box next time you post trip pics Enjoy your new work horse.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

In 1992 I bought a new F150 in preparation of buying a larger travel trailer. In 1993 we special ordered our "dream RV" a Holiday Rambler 34CBFK. At almost 35' long and almost 8800 pounds empty, the dealer suggested I might need a bigger tow vehicle.... Nah, I'm good, so we ordered the trailer. When it came in a couple months later, my DW was out of town so I picked up the trailer and headed down I 49 to see how well it towed. First gear, good, second gear, good, third gear, OK, fourth, upshift/downshift to 3rd, upshift/downshift over and over... The first town south of Alexandria on I 49 is Lecompte and at that time, Ken Brady Ford was one of the most reputable dealerships in the area. I made it to Lecompte, pulled onto the shoulder of the road in front of the dealership, went in and bought a 1993 F250 7.3L diesel. After haggling about price, trade in and getting the new truck washed, I hooked it up, pulled the brand new trailer home (without a brake control) parked it and the next day went back to the RV dealer and they installed a brake control.

Moral of the story, if a RV dealer tells you, "Your truck will tow anything on the lot." question his integrity... on the other hand, if he tells you, "You really need a bigger truck." Believe him !!!!!

Congratulations on your new tow vehicle. Now that you're equipped properly, hit the road and make some memories !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

No need to apologize. All of us who were there before are not surprised. Now you're a club member. Welcome. Now go have fun and enjoy a great looking set up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Many happy and relaxed miles of camping and towing. Please don't hold back about informing future people on here who may question their SUVs vs. should I buy a pickup. You now understand why and what people were advising before. I hope you did not feel anyone was trying to beat you up about it before. Normally really great advice is found on this forum.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
Cabindweller

Very nice truck! Congrats!

2017 F350 SuperDuty - Lariat, Crew Cab, PowerStroke, SRW, 4x4
Cabindweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
Tbos

Nice truck and whole setup. Enjoy your adventures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
the sodfather

That is a great truck for pulling your TT. Your life will be SO much better with the dog wagging the tail vs. the other way around. I bet way more than 50% of the folks on here have gone through the same TV vs. trailer ordeal.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #11
RK1978

We started trailer camping last year (2008 Hideout) and got along OK with the farm truck (96 K2500 6.5TD). Someone on this forum commented that the 6.5's might be lacking in power, but since it was already paid for and set up for a trailer (and snowplow and tools & repair equipment) we did not want to invest in a different truck. This spring we went to the SW-Texas, Arizona and New Mexico, and found out about 30 mph headwinds while going up grades. I think the only thing that did not pass us was someone on a bicycle. My wife was very unhappy, and it was very stressful in traffic. So we got home, looked for trucks we could afford, found a 2007 Dodge 3500 2WD with Cummins. We will find out how that goes this summer. Seems strange to drive something other than Chevy (first one was a 1970 4x4) but we will get used to it. Now we have 2 trucks in the fleet, it was too much trouble and expense to try to replace the farm truck so this one is more like a city boy truck- short bed, 4 doors, no snowplow, no tool chest etc. We will run a few short trips, then be ready for Glacier, Yellowstone, and Mt Rushmore late this summer. Good information on this site, I have learned a lot.
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #12
ftrupe

I have been towing a Passport 23rb the last 2 years with a 2014 Dodge Durango. Since I never towed before, there was nothing to compare my experiences. It towed fine with the Equalizer hitch, careful weight restrictions, and camping in areas not too far away. Can honestly say, there never was a "white knuckle" trip and was never swayed by passing tractor trailers. But, I just got my 2017 F 150, with the max tow package and the Ecoboost 3.5 engine. I am sure that there will be plenty of up-hill power and not too much worrying about weight! The only issue is I have to put 1000 miles on it before towing, so my first trip next Thursday still may be with the Durango. And, I can put a full sheet of sheetrock in the bed.
ftrupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:44 PM   #13
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftrupe View Post
I have been towing a Passport 23rb the last 2 years with a 2014 Dodge Durango. Since I never towed before, there was nothing to compare my experiences. It towed fine with the Equalizer hitch, careful weight restrictions, and camping in areas not too far away. Can honestly say, there never was a "white knuckle" trip and was never swayed by passing tractor trailers. But, I just got my 2017 F 150, with the max tow package and the Ecoboost 3.5 engine. I am sure that there will be plenty of up-hill power and not too much worrying about weight! The only issue is I have to put 1000 miles on it before towing, so my first trip next Thursday still may be with the Durango. And, I can put a full sheet of sheetrock in the bed.
Been there done that.
I was happy with my SUV until we planned a Western trip.
Enjoy.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:18 PM   #14
linux3

We are now 1200 miles from home. My Explorer was a fun drive but the Silverado is the bomb.
Like ftrupe said, the SUV was fine for short trips but we are going from coast to coast.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
We are now 1200 miles from home. My Explorer was a fun drive but the Silverado is the bomb.
Like ftrupe said, the SUV was fine for short trips but we are going from coast to coast.

Hoping you have a great trip and great times!! I'm glad you are enjoying the upgrade to the Silverado.....I was sure it would be a benefit. Travel on!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote