Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
jmak

Anyone Renting?

Thinking about renting out our travel trailer when we are not using it. We still work full time so use of a travel trailer is limited to weekend trips and a few vacation trips a year.

Really only to cover the cost the storage, insurance and loan payment.

Two options:

1. Have a dealership near by rent out for me and I keep 50% of the rental fee. They take care of cleaning, inspections etc. Bonus also get free storage but it is not covered. We live in South Texas. However I would have to unload and load pretty much everything except pots and pans.

2. Market online with places like RVShare. Keep it all minus RVShare fee but doing all the work after a return. However also collecting a nice extra fee if I have to clean the unit and dump the tanks. I would have to pay for $150 storage but it gives my unit coverage storage. Keep much more personal stuff like full kitchen/bedding etc to be included as part of the rental. Plus would only half to rent half the time of the dealership to make the same money.

Would love to hear your thoughts and especially if you have rented your unit what has been your experience.
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
Mike484

Re: Anyone Renting?

I looked into too, but after careful consideration, I realized that nobody cares for your "stuff" as much as you do. Looks like a good deal, but I would hate for a $30,000 TT to be trashed in just a few years, even if all the payments, insurance, and maintanance is covered.

Just my feelings on it.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

If you think about the bedding, dishes, etc, and if you're like me, you'll have to "pull them out, take them home and wash them" before you use them again, so unloading before rental isn't any more work than unloading after rental. Either way, you'll be taking them home (unless you're willing to sleep on dirty sheets someone else used). Let's not even discuss the used, damp towels..... LOL

I haven't ever rented my trailer and would be very reluctant to rent one to anybody. First, is their tow vehicle equipped with a brake controller, proper hitch and do they have any experience towing something "this big"? Depending on "fate" (especially with no knowledge of their experience or their level of competence) you "might or might not" get your trailer back in one piece.

Insurance rates are likely to be significantly higher, no doubt your claims rate will go up, probably increasing your "risk pool status" and your future insurance premiums. If you do have any claims, will that affect insurance rates on your vehicles, home, etc ?

There's a lot to consider. You'll have increased wear/tear on the running gear, increased use and "cushion wear" on the furniture and mattresses, increased charge/discharge for the battery, operation cycles for the awning, more swings and slams of the doors, kids pushing against the screen door, and much other "use/abuse" that few of us even think about. So, if you value your investment and look at it as your "second home" then I'd think carefully before renting. If, on the other hand, you're looking at it as a "depreciable money pit" and realize that once "it's trashed, it's gone" then you might be of the "mentality" to rent it out.

Tough decision for most of us.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
jmak

Maybe my view is skewed but the way I look at is like AirBnB or Homeway for RVs as it is short term rental. People that use those services have very good success stories. Personally I know someone that rents his vacation half a million condo with great success on homeaway. Is there a risk of course but they have to be able to afford to put down a $500-600 security deposit, prepaid cleaning and is willing to spend $800 plus a week to rent a travel trailer is typically not some white trash or ghetto hood rat.

I would for sure check to make sure the persons vehicle is capable of pulling my unit. And yes if someone says they want to rent for two week to go cross country and has never towed anything I would be quick to tell them that it is not a good idea and maybe should seek other vacation plans.

Insurance is actually very reasonable with a 1 million policy is only $98 a month.

The one thing I am having a hard time finding is an extended warranty that allow commercial use or renting if I decide I want an extended warranty.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:09 AM   #5
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

In addition to everything already said, here are some more reasons why I would never consider it:
Campers are built with less-than-desirable care and attention to QC. This means things break down and have issues. Many times those issues have to be "coddled" until they are fixed correctly, else the problem gets worse in a hurry. Renters won't like things broken and won't use tlc.
Campers are complex. Everyone knows how to operate a house or hotel room. Not the case with campers. That is a recipe for disaster.
How many have you said "don't worry, it's a 'rental'" when renting a car.
The nicer and more expensive rig you have, the greater the risks.
The renters just won't take care of your rig the way you want.
You won't know if a renter screwed up something really important until it is too late.
How thorough of a PDI will you do every time it is returned to check everything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I just have to chime in and say "no way".

RVs are far too complex and "delicate" to let someone loose in them out on their only vacation of the year. Kids banging in and out the door, slamming cabinet doors, pulling logs across the floor, BB gun practice in the bedroom....uh, no.

With well mannered kids and parents something would probably break. With the types of families I see nowadays, not only is something going to get broke, you might not see the entire rig again.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
notanlines

Are you willing to travel to their site where let's say the air conditioner breaks down and repair said unit? Using that as an example, a couple with two kids renting your trailer for two weeks to go to Florida would be mighty upset if the air quit and it's 98 degrees outside. All that needs to be thought of and what steps you personally would take to correct the problem. We never, but never let anyone borrow our Fountain power boat nor would we ever rent out the Raptor.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Steve S

I'll loan my trailer out to family and friends in my off season as I know that they'll take care of it and have the trucks and knowledge to pull. Also they've all owned trailers at some point in their lives and they know the workings of a trailer. Also the trailer comes back with thank you baskets and bottles of wine
As for renting it out that's something that I'd never consider as for the few bucks that they'll pay it's not worth it.
At the end of the day it's your trailer and your investment and no one will ever take care of it the way that you'll take care of it.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Anyone Renting?

As a tech that has worked on rental units...the ONLY person that's going to use my trailer is me and DW. I don't even loan it to family. Since it's a fifth wheel it would mean truck and trailer, nit many family members know how to tow, let alone a fiver.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Mike484

If your considering it, ask yourself one question.

If its profitable and a good investment decision to rent out RVs, why dont't they buy the units and rent them out instead of wanting to use your's as their rental fleet?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
Pull Toy

No way! We camp because we love it, but also because in this day and age, I want to know who slept on that mattress last. Who used the towels, and sheets last, who pee'd in the sink? Think about it... would you rent out your house while you were camping without fumigating, and deep scrubbing?

Also, another consideration, if you do go ahead, check your insurance, and registration, and loan rate. Bet none of these will stay the same if you go "commercial".

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
Sarvi

I have mine listed on AirBnB, but it stays in my driveway and doesn't get towed anywhere. I have quite a few rules in place to minimize problems. I also don't allow more than 4 people at a time (it can theoretically sleep 10), and don't let any one party stay longer than a week. The VAST majority of people use it as a place to sleep as they are passing through the area, or if they have a kid at the college in the neighboring town and are visiting. Most months I am able to at least cover the trailer the payment from the rentals, sometimes a bit more. I also pick and choose who I allow to stay, I don't accept just anyone that requests it. So far, in a year and a half of doing this, I've not had any issues.
Sarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvi View Post
I have mine listed on AirBnB, but it stays in my driveway and doesn't get towed anywhere. I have quite a few rules in place to minimize problems. I also don't allow more than 4 people at a time (it can theoretically sleep 10), and don't let any one party stay longer than a week. The VAST majority of people use it as a place to sleep as they are passing through the area, or if they have a kid at the college in the neighboring town and are visiting. Most months I am able to at least cover the trailer the payment from the rentals, sometimes a bit more. I also pick and choose who I allow to stay, I don't accept just anyone that requests it. So far, in a year and a half of doing this, I've not had any issues.
Note the part I highlighted in red: What are you going to do when some activist group declares discrimination? From what I've seen recently, it's only a matter of time, so I wouldn't advertise "selectivity" too loudly....

Just sayin'...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #14
Sarvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Note the part I highlighted in red: What are you going to do when some activist group declares discrimination? From what I've seen recently, it's only a matter of time, so I wouldn't advertise "selectivity" too loudly....

Just sayin'...
I fully understand what you're saying. I always look at the reviews of the people that are requesting. If I see for example that the last place they stayed, they were not good guests, such as didn't respect the rules, trashed the place, etc, I will definitely decline the request. If people are rude to me in their initial contact, I will decline their request. I make sure there's always a definite reason for the decline, so it couldn't be considered discriminatory. I would never ever ever say no because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc, and would be horrified if someone tried to say I did.
Sarvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmak View Post
Is there a risk of course but they have to be able to afford to put down a $500-600 security deposit, prepaid cleaning and is willing to spend $800 plus a week to rent a travel trailer is typically not some white trash or ghetto hood rat.
My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is that there is no way I'd rent out our camper for someone else to use. This summer out west we camped next to an Airstream rented from Airstream2Go. They weren't white trash or ghetto hood rats, most definitely, but they did not treat that airstream well. Between the 2 boys running the length of the trailer and throwing a ball around in there (it came flying out the door at one point), to the mom (I assume her anyways) slamming cabinet doors and pots and pan around, I was feeling sorry for the camper! I checked the rental rates, they paid at least $4200 to rent it for 4 days (minimum rate and days allowed per website), so it wasn't cheap.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #16
jmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvi View Post
That is a pretty good idea. Could even setup at local state park or RV park when people want to rent.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #17
CaptnJohn

Three reasons I own a 5er and F350:
1. I want my own clean bed
2. I want my own clean bathroom
3. may want a sandwich at 3AM from my own clean kitchen
If I wanted 'maybe' clean or 'hired help' clean I'd use hotels.

Bought a 5er built for TWO (2). On the slim change grandsons may come along the sofa makes into a bed. Family ~~ immediate family only.
During my career many nights were spent in hotels, some very expensive hotels. When you spend 3 weeks to 4 months in a place you get to know the staff. A chief of housecleaning suggested when the secretary made reservations to ask the bed NOT be made until after arrival as some mattresses she would not permit her dog to sleep on were covered nicely, often with expensive sheets. She suggested doing so would assure a clean mattress no matter what would have been on the bed prior to arrival.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #18
bmach

You could buy a second mattress for the renters. Same with sheets, towels etc. I like the idea about keeping local. As for me I would not rent mine out.
If done through the dealer do they take care off all repairs?
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #19
Tbos

My Dad suggested renting a class A before I upgrade to one. I'm having a hard time thinking about who might have used it before me. My DW is the same way. I don't think I could ever rent my TT out.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #20
Ken / Claudia

Back in the 70s. One parents friends bought a motorhome a class A as I remember. To pay for it they left it at a rental place. Thinking it would not cost them if rented by enough folks. As rental fees would make the payments. Not sure if they ever used it or not. They sold it around the 2nd year. Real unhappy, cigarette burns in carpet and furniture. As I recall they felt it was being trashed.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote