Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #1
naku

looking for a wiring diagram/schematic

i recently bought a new 2015 avalanch 355rk and need a wiring diagram or schematic of the SAT/CATV cabling in my unit. unfortunately, nothing on the unit is marked, and when i asked keystone for one, they sent me a troubleshooting guide. any help would be appreciated.
naku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There are none that I am aware of. Even us tech's have to use different tools to find, identify, and diagnose coax issues. I have this:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...(PVCM4)&q=coax tester

I also have a couple of 75ohm "caps" that I can screw onto one end of a coax and using an ohm meter, find and test the other end. Some makers use different colored coax, maybe yours does and if so it makes tracing a whole lot easier.

Another way we troubleshoot/diagnose/identify is to use an old inactive sat receiver. It will still send a "picture" to the TV in question. Good luck in your quest, and don't be surprised if you end up taking some screws out of the underbelly to look for cable runs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
naku

thanks chuckster, I appreciate you taking the time to ping me back. do you own a keystone product? I was thinking i'd find someone with a similar unit who had already been down this road.
I'm not really having a problem, I'm just wondering where these jacks go and what feeds what. there are 2 on the outside where the water hookups are, but they are not labeled, nor are any of the other jacks inside the unit. I can trace the cables with my tone generator, that's not a problem either.
I guess the point is you spend all this money on a unit and keystone can't even bother to mark them, supply a schematic, or even a simple block diagram. In my last unit, a 15 year old carriage, they marked everything. keystone's answer was "sorry, hire a professional to do it for you", pretty pathetic in my book.
so far i'm not overly impressed with keystone. it's like the 110 volt system, they wired 6 gfi recpts to a single 15 amp circuit. the wifey can't dry her hair in the head while we're making coffee in the galley, it's even sadder since there are 3 blanks in the 110 panel.
thanks again for you input.
naku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

My 2012 Copper Canyon is a Keystone product. As a tech that works on numerous different brands, I can assure you that Keystone isn't the only one lacking in labels or as it seems common, the correct one (black and gray tanks).

My cable and sat "in" are clearly marked so I can't complain. One trick to identify the "out" end is the roof antenna/park cable is in the center of the plate. If you have a plate with two connections and a short coax joining them, then yeah knowing which one is sat signal in and out to TV can be a PITA. Again, Keystone doesn't have a corner on frustrating customers.

It's even worse when you request an hour to diagnose, get approved for .5 and find yourself an hour into it with no results

As to the GFI: I just finished troubleshooting a no 110VAC to two outlets in the slide of a $150,000.00 class A motor home. Found ALL GFI plugs in the coach wired into a single 20a breaker. I understand your frustration, but the way your house on a foundation is built isn't the same as your house on wheels. As an RV owner since 1989, I have learned to adjust my expectations and life style while I'm camping, or as the kids call it "glamping".

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:42 AM   #5
SADLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
...... but the way your house on a foundation is built isn't the same as your house on wheels. As an RV owner since 1989, I have learned to adjust my expectations and life style while I'm camping, or as the kids call it "glamping".
I did not receive a wiring diagram for my house on a foundation. Nor did I receive one with my Jeep.... Or my ATV.... Or my iMac... Or my range hood....

Not meant to belittle anyone, I just never understood the expectation that any diagrams for this particular product would be expected.
SADLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
dcg9381

Sadly,
Wiring diagrams are available for your Jeep and ATV. Although not provided, they can be purchased.

I'm not an iMac guy, but generally branded PCs come with full assembly/disassembly manuals (as they're essentially assembled components)...

Most mid to low end RVs don't have diagrams because they seem to be kinda wired ad-hoc. Not true of many diesel pushers, etc..

Not everyone knows this.. I remember being kinda surprised to find out that most RVs don't have diagrams.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg9381 View Post
Most mid to low end RVs don't have diagrams because they seem to be kinda wired ad-hoc..

Actually Jayco will provide wiring diagrams on their drivable units, and they are IMO low to mid range. Tiffen has started providing wiring diagrams on all their units not just diesel pushers.