Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
roadglide

Radiant heater install

I can say my 2 deep cell battery's can't keep up with heater fan. I have a empty area right behind the sink , my idea is to install a small radiant heater enclosed with sheet metal backing and plump it to the stove. I have 3 ft in front of where I want the heater. I know now why keystone puts gas fireplaces in there higher end models. I'm looking for suggestions for my heating problems wile dry camping.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I can't say that I've ever seen a "factory installed" propane fireplace in a fifth wheel. The only ones I've ever seen are electric heater types. That said, they won't give you any help when dry camping. Many years ago, there was a catalytic heater produced specifically for travel trailers. Over the years it has been improved and updated, but still remains the "gold standard" for "no electricity required" propane heating. The Olympian Catalytic heater has been around "forever" and is marketed with the statement, Designed for use in recreational vehicles. We don't have one in our Cougar, but did have one in our small PU camper and it would keep us toasty warm on even the coldest nights. It really didn't use much propane when compared to the furnace. There are three models available at Camping World, 3000, 6000 and 8000 BTU. They do require ventilation, but typically the ventilation required to keep condensation under control is enough for safe operation.

Here is the link to these heaters at Camping World: http://www.campingworld.com/category...928&Ne=1000002

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #3
ImTravis

JRTJH, we had the Olympia in our PU and it was great. We usually kept the vent open and partially unzipped a window for airflow.

Roadglide, those things are great, but it'd take them a bit to heat up a bigger TT. My concern was always with whatever it was in front of it getting too hot. Ours didn't have any special insulation behind it, as the heat only radiated from the front. We did have a cover on it when not in use, because any dirt or debris on it can cause part of the heating "element" (I forgot the term used) to go out. We had the wave 6 model which in a California November coastal night would almost force you to step out to cool down. This was in a 10 ft PU. The other side of the PU was still pretty cold, so it is somewhat directional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2016, 07:51 PM   #4
roadglide

The wave 6 Has a regulator would it work plumbing it direct to the rv . I'm looking for a perement heater.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
The wave 6 Has a regulator would it work plumbing it direct to the rv . I'm looking for a perement heater.
I'm not sure where you got your information, but the Olympian heaters can not be connected to a propane tank without a regulator, they require a regulator to operate as a "stand alone" unit and they can be installed with a "Tee" into the existing low pressure propane system that currently supplies the range, oven, furnace and refrigerator. You can download the installation/operator manual here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...13370389,d.eWE

The only "significant difference" between the 3, 6 and 8 is that the 3 can not be installed in a recessed mounting. It must be installed with 1.5" clearance behind the heater. The 6 and 8 can be installed in a recessed mount location. All require 10.5" WC pressure propane, the same as supplied by your existing propane regulator.

We used ours with a Low Pressure quick connect in our PU camper. It won't work without the low pressure supply. There is no regulator in the heater so you can't use it with the 1 pound cylinders like you can a Coleman stove or lantern.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
roadglide

Thank you for the answer. There is a gas control regulator and the 6000 requires low pressure gas. I was making sure it wasn't like my webber grill having to remove the higher pressure regular. I have ideal spot 2 foot off the floor and from I'm reading there on reason to build a sheet metal box for the flush mount 6000 heater.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
Charley0542

Look at mr buddy heaters, I've used mine many times during November and December. One pound bottles last 6 hours on high or you can get a hose for hooking it up.
Charley0542 is offline   Reply With Quote