Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Tbos

Question 238ML Tank Level Indicators? Black tank odors?

Has anyone had a problem with the tank indicators? The black tank never reads empty even after I flush it out.

What is the best chemical/deodorizer for the black tank? I have been using TST orange packets. 2 to a tank and had a terrible odor even though there was very little waste but a lot of water in the tank. We always run a lot of water when we use the toilet. Open to suggestions? Thanks.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
BirchyBoy

Tank indicators are a common issue with most every camper from what I can tell. There are lots of threads here with advise on how to resolve issues.

We use TST as well and have only one or two instances of bad odors. Have you checked to make sure the toilet is sealing completely when it is closed? There should always be a little water in the bowl as well.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
GaryWT

Check your roof vent and make sure it is not clogged. If you are using plenty of water any chemical should be fine but we have the best luck with aqua chem blue liquid. The sensors are rarely correct as stuff stays on the walks and blocks the sensors.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

If you are hooked up to campground sewer connections, then you should leave your black tank valve closed until you are ready to dump or the tank "looks and feels" full (whichever comes first). You might also consider leaving main sewer line valve closed which helps prevent unwanted backup of campground sewer gas from entering your unit.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Teamster81

We struggled with an odor for months. Our 4 year old grandson was the only one to use the toilet for solids but it was pretty bad when you would flush. We flushed the tank multiple times after each dump tried different chemicals and fan off while flushing and on after. We checked the vent and it wasn't blocked. In May we finally swapped out the vent cap for a Camco Cylone top and started using nothing except Dawn dish soap in place of the chemicals. It worked, the smell hasn't come back in 20 nights camping this summer.
Teamster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
BirchyBoy

Good info on the vent cap. I'll keep that in mind.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #7
Tbos

Thanks everyone. Whats the best way to check the vent? I do keep both black and gray valves closed until ready to dump. Has anyone else used Dawn dish soap like Teamster81? I'll look into switching the vent cap.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:02 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Thanks everyone. Whats the best way to check the vent? I do keep both black and gray valves closed until ready to dump. Has anyone else used Dawn dish soap like Teamster81? I'll look into switching the vent cap.
Yep I use Dawn
Javi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:36 AM   #9
{tpc}

Funny I have the opposite issue, the black tank always reads empty lol. I figure one of these days I'll just pour in a measured 30 gal of water and see what happens, and then dump it at the storage yard. If it doesn't work, I'll add it to the list for the dealer to work on under warranty.

If they won't do it (which wouldn't surprise me), I'll just have to do it myself, but I'd probably replace those sensors with much better ones at that point.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote