Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
Loopsak

Cougar 26bhswe Pantry Door Screws

Took delivery of a 2015 Keystone Cougar 26bhswe a week or so ago. Used the trailer for the first time this past weekend and discovered that the pantry door is solid wood and too heavy for the undersized hinge screws. The screws stripped out of the wood. I contacted the dealer to inquire if this is a warranty issue but more interested in a more permanent fix. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
Loopsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #2
sibwolf

I had very same experience on my 2013. Happened to many of my cabinets. I used a plywood backer on all hinge points then used longer wood screws. Much better.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sibwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:09 AM   #3
jsmith948

There have been many 'fixes' talked about on here - try a forum search. Some of our members have used matchsticks or toothpicks with a little wood glue. I have had success using Elmers stain-able wood filler then tightening the screw after the putty hardens. IMHO - if you take it to the dealer, they'll just put a larger screw in the hole and probably strip it out as well. Good luck

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Wooden skewers work good.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
Onthemove

On my Cougar I used small bolts with washers and nuts on the inside. Haven’t had any problems so far.

2012 Toyota Tundra DC 5.7 - V8
2012 Keystone Cougar 25RLSWE - 30'
Onthemove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Nitka

OMG! We noticed the same thing, but on more than one cabinet while we were on our two week trip. So far it's really the only disappointment I've noticed in our Cougar and luckily DH is pretty mechanically inclined. I'm glad you posted though, so I know I'm not alone!!
Nitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Many people find that match sticks or toothpicks broken and inserted in the stripped hole will work, sometimes for good, other times, only for a few trips before the hole strips out again. With the vinyl covered "sawdust and glue" facings on some new RV's, it's a "crap shoot" as to whether hinge screws will hold.

A couple of effective ways to resolve the problem is to either drill the screwholes to appropriate size and use countersunk bolts and nylock nuts or blind nuts (depending on whether you want a "bump" on the inside or not).

If you use a small piece of foam insulation board you can stick all the bolts in it, spray paint the heads to match your hinges and nobody will ever "suspect" you've modified your cabinet doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COUNTERSUNK BOLT.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	6662   Click image for larger version

Name:	BLIND NUT.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	6663  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
Western Traveler

I knew about this going in and thought I was prepared but I am beginning to feel like trailer should come with notice "some assembly required" I think I am going with toothpicks and wood glue to start and John's fix as a backup plan for the doors.

I had been worried about the vinyl trim piece coming off the seat above the under seat storage door where I slide in and out of our settee but the whole frame, door, and trim piece came off as a single unit. Assembled with 2" staples, no glue and no holding ability. This one is a priority along with finding any kind of temporary table to replace this folding piece of s*** this unit came with. A miracle it has not gotten a float test in the lake we are parked next to!
Oh, but we love our Cougar!

2014 Cougar 21RBSWE "The Sugar Shack"
2006 F250 Super duty "Buttercup"
King Ranch Crew
6.0L Diesel
Bulletproofed
Reese Straight-line Dual cam WDH
Me and My Bride
Western Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Blueswede

Seems to be a common problem. In our new Hideout, I have already replaced 10 of the crappy short screws using the matches/wood glue trick and some decent brass screws. Seems very solid at least for the time being.