Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
Katana

RV advice needed (electrical help)

I bought a 2008 toy hauler a few months back and I've found out that the 2-6 volt deep cycle batteries (run in series) that are in it are pretty much toast. I've got 3-12 volt deep cycle industrial grade (had 4 but one is pouched) but after talking with my RV dealer he said that 3 batteries my not be possible, he said either 2 or 4 but not 3. These batteries I've got are awesome as I had 2 on my old RV and they lasted 3 times as long as the stock ones.

Can anyone answer if running 3-12 volt deep cycle's will work if run parallel??
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't see why they wouldn't. I can see multiples of 2 using 6V but not 12V batteries. Putting them in boxes and venting would be the only issue I can see, but that is easily overcome with different sized boxes.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I may be wrong but I am sure that you can hook up 3 - 12V batteries in parallel to produce 12v.

Let's label the batteries A, B, and C.
Connect the neg from A to the neg of B and connect the neg of B to the neg of C. Two battery cables req'd.
Connect the pos from A to the pos of B and connect the pos of B to the pos of C. Two battery cables req'd.

Use battery C as your output source to your electrical devices.

I am sure this will work.
You can also Google "hooking up 3 12V batteries" for confirmation.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
b.d.m

You can run the 3 batteries in parallel and its not a problem.

What could be the problem is most Keystone Trailers come with a low amperage battery charger. If this is the case and you run the batteries down to 50% and you have a total of 200Amp Hours it could take a day or more to charge them back up. (my Cougar has a 5 Amp charger).

If you have an after market charger and it has the ability to charge two banks of batteries you'd have to look into doing 2 in one bank and 1 in the 2nd bank.

I'd suggest if you are looking to add that much battery power to your rig, i'd spend the money and buy a good inverter/ charger that can quick charge, maintenance change, trickle charge and equalize your batteries.

This is the project for our camper this fall.

2014 333 MKS
b.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Katana

Any idea what unit I would need for that and what the cost is??

I don't need all that power but I have 3 batteries left from the original 24 so I thought that I might as well use them up.

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Good inverter/charger combinations are not cheap by any means. Depending upon the thickness of your wallet, you can pay up to $2500. Count on paying at least $500 for a half-decent one but I'd do a Google search to see what is out there. You can get them on Amazon and eBay as well. Just type in "inverter/charger" and you'll get lots of hits. They come in a variety of wattages - usually starting at 1000w and going upward from there. Your demands and usage dictates what "size" to get so until that is known, it is difficult to recommend a "size" that meets your needs.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #7
mikell

I just put a 100 watt solar on my roof for less than $150 and it ties directly into the batteries. It works great but i have a ghost loss that I haven't figured out yet that draws way too much
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

ok all 3 6 volt battery's in parallel is 6 volts and loads of amps. you camper is 12 volts. one in series 2 in parallel why? get a 4th 6 volt and run two series two parallel.that way you will have 12 volts lot of amps. doing a series parallel with 3 batteries the lone 6 volt will drain down faster. unless i missed something in your post which i may have as the phone is going crazy here at work
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
ok all 3 6 volt battery's in parallel is 6 volts and loads of amps. you camper is 12 volts. one in series 2 in parallel why? get a 4th 6 volt and run two series two parallel.that way you will have 12 volts lot of amps. doing a series parallel with 3 batteries the lone 6 volt will drain down faster. unless i missed something in your post which i may have as the phone is going crazy here at work
Barney -
My take on the OP's post is that he has 2-6volts which he says are "pretty much toast" but happens to have 3 - 12v batteries that he would like to use to replace these dead or dying 6volts.

His plan is to hook up 3-12v batteries in parallel which, if wired correctly, would result in an output of 12v. I don't think he is planning to mix 12 and 6 volts- at least that it is the way I read it.

Rrrrrinngg, rrringg.....What's that I hear? I think it's your phone. Better go answer it, Barney.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #10
b.d.m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
Any idea what unit I would need for that and what the cost is??

I don't need all that power but I have 3 batteries left from the original 24 so I thought that I might as well use them up.

If you look at camping world or Amazon new inverters / chargers run from $150 - as much as you'd like to spend.

I upgraded the unit in our trailer the first weekend we owned it because our plan was to do a lot of dry camping and dry camping and providing the wife with creature comforts requires Amp Hours. Amp Hours = more batteries.

I suggest you add the batteries, use your current charging system see how it works then make a discussion from there. No need to replace it if its not causing the problem.

Solar is really the best way to extend batteries and then not have to worry about finding a 120v outlet. We plastered the front half of our camper with Go Power flex panels. I havent owned them long enough to give a full review but so far they are much better than the rigid cells we had on our boat.

2014 333 MKS
b.d.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #11
Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Barney -
My take on the OP's post is that he has 2-6volts which he says are "pretty much toast" but happens to have 3 - 12v batteries that he would like to use to replace these dead or dying 6volts.

His plan is to hook up 3-12v batteries in parallel which, if wired correctly, would result in an output of 12v. I don't think he is planning to mix 12 and 6 volts- at least that it is the way I read it.

Rrrrrinngg, rrringg.....What's that I hear? I think it's your phone. Better go answer it, Barney.
Yes, you are correct. I am going to remove the 2-6 volts and replace with the 3-12 volts that I have on hand.

As suggested I think I'll just hook all 3 up and try them out. My wife is going on a 10 day camp with me attending on the weekends so we'll see how things work out. Thanks for all your guys help!!!