Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
Wantoride

Tunnel restrictions to virginia beach, alternate rt

We are planning on going to virginia beach in April with the new travel trailer. We have made this trip in the past not towing a trailer and are familiar with the route. We have always gone thru the tunnel at Norfolk on 64. My concern is the propane tanks. Is there a restriction for travel trailers carrying propane through the tunnel. I was planning on a few small maiden runs with the trailer before we set off on our first multiple day trip but this winters weather wouldn't allow it so I would like to make this trip as smooth as possible. Does anyone know of an alternate route around Norfolk that does not involve a tunnel? To be honest, I'm not looking forward to pulling the tt through a tunnel anyway.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
bg71361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantoride View Post
We are planning on going to virginia beach in April with the new travel trailer. We have made this trip in the past not towing a trailer and are familiar with the route. We have always gone thru the tunnel at Norfolk on 64. My concern is the propane tanks. Is there a restriction for travel trailers carrying propane through the tunnel. I was planning on a few small maiden runs with the trailer before we set off on our first multiple day trip but this winters weather wouldn't allow it so I would like to make this trip as smooth as possible. Does anyone know of an alternate route around Norfolk that does not involve a tunnel? To be honest, I'm not looking forward to pulling the tt through a tunnel anyway.
It's no big deal bottles just need to be turned OFF.
Have fun!
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
canesfan

It's a long way around to void the tunnels. The I-664 tunnel is much better than the I-64 tunnel. There is a place to stop on each side of the tunnel, I'm sure you're seen the pulloffs. MAKE SURE YOU STOP! They will come out and check to make sure your tanks are off. Then just go on your way. If you don't stop they WILL chase you down. Have seen it happen. Don't worry about the tunnels, piece of cake.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
hankaye

Wantoride, Howdy;

Or ... you could go up and over by taking the
James River Bridge .....just take the Mercury Blvd.
exit then stay on US 17 and of to da beach ya go ....

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 04:37 AM   #5
mguay

As others have said...pull over in the stopping area and shut your tanks off. Baltimore and Boston are the only tunnels that I can think of that have a "NO Propane" restriction. All the others you have to stop and turn it off.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #6
Wantoride

Thanks for y'all's input. When I drive to va. Beach I just take 64 , I don't think I have ever taken 664. As I recall the last time I traveled the 64 tunnel I knew one day I would be pulling a trailer through it and didn't really notice much of a pull over or an inspection station, I'm sure one is there but it it's not very prominent . It's a pretty old tunnel and it has a high volume of traffic, at least when I have traveled it. I think I'll give 664 a try .
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
canesfan

I don't hardly ever go 64 so I can't say where they are, but on 664 going towards Va Beach it is after Exit 6 on the right, there are warning signs before you get to it, I forget exactly what they say, something about hazardous materials and gas bottles, might even mention RV or propane but can't remember.

On the way back it is before you even get onto the bridge on the right.

They look almost like a weigh station.