Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
summerhummer

Musings on Keystone bunkhouses

Well Since the TT is going to be one of my largest purchases I am taking it slow and weigihing all my options. I have been seriously shopping since Mid sept. I originally fell in love with the Sprinter 311 BHS and put down a deposit. I loved the trailer but wanted to be within about 75% of 2006 Chevy burban 2500 Tow vehicle capacity. 2013 TT models were right at about 85% of my tow capacity. While doable I love my truck and want to baby it so it lasts. I considered the 316 BIk and that was about 92% of my tow capacity. Laredo has similar light weight models the 303 TG is similar to the 311 BHS and the Laredo 320 TG is the 316 BIK equivalant.

2013 sprinter models went on a diet by about 600 LBs but I still go back to preferring to use about 75% of tow capacity. I am going between the laredo 320 TG and 303 TG. I like the 303 TG for the curb side window and u shaped dinette. I like the 320 TG for the island kitchen but it has no curb side window.
If the 320 had a curb side window and a u shaped dinette I would have pretty much all I desire in a TT. THus far my issues are these....

320 TG doesnt have a cable outlet or TV mount by the curb side kitchen slide out of the TT. I like the ability ti watch tv outside the TT. The 303 TG has this. I think that can be modified/added to the 320 TG. I am also thinking about changing the curb side door on the 320 to be clear plexi glass window instead of blurred vision model so I can see outside on the curb side while at camp to check or view the kids. SO The net net is I think I am going with the 320 TG.... Of course after all my research I showed the wife both laredoes and the sprinter 316 BIK today and she prefers a sunset trail ST 33BD ! While I do like sunset trails this model doesnt do it for me and I looked at all their 2014 floor plans and none move me. The TT is more of my purchase so she will be fine with what I choose but I am just writing this post to document where I am at and get any feeback from people in the same situation or looking at the same TTs. I would really love a 2013 used but 320 TG is only 2014 model and 2013 316BIks are a bit heavier than what I want to tow and the stove layout on the slide didnt seem to roomy. All models have the same outside kitchern layout.

I really need to add some more 12 volt cigarette lighter plugs to either trailer.
From what I am told the included Television in either unit dont run off of 12 volt. I do like that option for dry camping without a genny. It appears all models only can house 1 battery on the frame. additionally I didnt see a cable outlet in the rear bedroom of the laredos but truthfully I didnt look. I would assume that would be standard. This is where I am and I promised myself I will be camping again by Spring. BTW the 320 TG is 50 AMP all others I think are 30 AMP so this is good as I will be adding a 2nd AC 13500 unit for the rear of the TT. I will be adding a frame re- enforced bike rake in the rear. I have not found a way to get my Kayak to the camp site outside of using TV roof. My previous TT had a basement and the Yak fit nicley there but alas my previous TT manufacterur Fleetwood no longer does TTs. I also miss the fact that non of the TTs mentioned have ladders anymore and I dont think they are reneforced for ladders.
Anyway any coments about anything I wrote are welcome. Perhaps your comment will sway me... ALl floor plans available on Keystone.com

Regards,
Jason
summerhummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

First I do not know enough about those models to advise one over the other. Just want to say that if you look foreword to dry camping and want to use the trailer with all it has to offer. One battery is not going to work. You need a genny or solar power and really 2 good batteries. Regarding the ladders. Salesman told me on mine they would add one for a price, the roof and walls can take it. I have walked on my roof for cleaning and maintaince as most rv owners need to do. He said it was for cost savings. I have a nearly empty truck bed and putting a ladder in it to take camping works and did not cost anything. So you should ask about it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
f6bits

I sure like the layout of the 320TG. The triple slide offers tons of space. The grey water capacity is tremendous!

I have a U-Shaped dinette and someday I'll probably convert it. I suspect that both tables are the same width, but you lose a *lot* of table space with the U. Either layout really only seats four. Though I did buy a lightweight chair from Ikea and that sits at the end of the table, it bumps the seating capacity up to five, but not the table capacity.

I can see how the lack of a curbside window is a concern. As you said, you can easily replace the window on the door. Just get a tinted one so it's not as easy for others to see in.

Televisions suck power like no tomorrow. I wouldn't bother trying to run one off 12V.

The one-battery limit concerns me. I'd take a closer look on how to add a second battery. From the looks of it, the battery sits low between the rails. I'd see if mounting them high would block the propane door. In that case, it might be worth the hassle of unmounting the batteries every time you need propane.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
barchak

I have the 2013 303TG we love it.

The bunkhouse does have a cable outlet. The cable input to the trailer is in the back and it goes directly to the cable junction in the bunkhouse. I have DirecTV and run the same channel to all four cable outlets with DirecTV receiver in the bunkhouse. Using an RF remote, I can control the channel from anywhere and do not need line of sight. The 303TG has two cable outlets outside. One in the outside kitchen and one on the curb side of the trailer between the two doors.

The bunkhouse does have a 12v outlet.

As far as the lack of a ladder, here is what I use and I think it is much better than having one attached to the trailer. http://telesteps.net/extension-ladders/ I can use it around the house if needed.
barchak is offline   Reply With Quote