Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Mullett

Hot Water Issue

Hi,

The hot water tank in my Keystone Trailer is full and hot but when I turn on the hot water faucet only cold water comes out can any one help me out please.
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
outwest

If you're only getting cold water, how do you know the tank is full and hot? Is it cold water at all of the faucets? If so, my guess would be that the water heater bypass valve is still engaged.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Andymon

Maybe check the shut off valve? Mine is behind a panel beneath the stove.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
Mullett

I have felt the tank and released the relief valve and hot water is coming out from that, cold water is coming from the cold faucet when I turn a valve off on the water line nothing comes from the hot water faucet. How do I dis-engage the water heater bypass valve ?
Old 11-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
outwest

making sure I understand correctly -

hot water tank has water in it and is hot
when you open hot side of faucet you get cold water
when turn a valve you found, and open hot side of faucet you get nothing

If that's the situation, it sounds to me like the tank had water in it, bypass valve was engaged to bypass the tank, and tank was never emptied of water.

Assuming all of the above is correct, the bypass valve will be somewhere between the water pump and the hot water tank. Exact location will vary depending on the specific model of trailer you have. What model is it?

Old 11-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
twstdpear

As Andymon suggested, I'd suspect the water heater bypass. If you have the 3-valve style of bypass, I think you might have the upper and vertical valves off. Usually, the lower and upper valves are in the same position (open or closed) and the vertical valve is in the opposite position (closed or open). If you have the single valve type of bypass, the check valve at the top of the water heater might have malfunctioned or is plugged.

If you put the water heater into bypass, you can check that all of the lines are working and then you'll be able to focus on the valves as your potential problems as I mentioned.

Most of the trailers I've seen and read about have the water heater bypass right next to the water heater itself. In travel trailers, it's usually under a cabinet behind a panel held in by a couple of screws or under a dinette seat, but where it is exactly can vary wildly from trailer to trailer. As noted above, the bypass is either comprised of three on/off valves, or comprised of a selector type valve and a check valve. To enable the bypass in the first type, close the upper and lower valves, and open the vertical valve. To enable the bypass in the second style, just turn the valve to send the water flowing up the vertical pipe.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Mullett

Thanks,

That is correct, not sure of model other than Keystone 2006 32' & sleeps 8 people bought it as a repossession and didn't have owners manual. I have looked every where for another valve and cannot find another one any where, under sink unit, around the hot water tank, checked all the lines but nothing !!!!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
outwest

Some trailers have heater bypass valve in the exterior convenience center. Our Vantage has 3 valves there: hot water heater bypass, winterize mode on/off, fresh water tank fill on/off

If you don't have bypass valve in exterior convenience center, you'll have to try to find where they hid it. You should be able to get to the interior side of the water heater by removing a panel that's screwed in place (or could be as simple as opening a cabinet door, depending on trailer. On an old trailer we had it was under a bed, on another it was under kitchen counter in cabinet, in current trailer it's in hallway behind slatted panel) Once you have access to the water heater from inside the trailer, if the valve(s) isn't/aren't visible there I would look near the water pump.

To find the water pump I would suggest turning water pump on, listening for the sound of it running, and use that noise as a guide. It could be under a trash can drawer, behind a panel that's screwed in place, under a bed, etc.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Mullett

Many thanks for your advice I will try and locate the pump as I have access to the heater from inside the trailer and cannot find another valve there. I will post again if I have difficulties. Once again thank you.

Colin
Old 11-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
outwest

did you find a valve near the water heater? Did that cause water to no longer run through hot side of faucet (but cold side still work)? If so, then like twstdpear mentioned the check valve at top of water heater is where problem is probably at.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

From what you describe, it really sounds like your hot water heater is filled with water and your bypass valve is turned to the bypass position. You are getting cold water from the pump flowing through the bypass and to your hot water faucets. There are valves under the sinks to turn off water to the faucets, but they do not control hot/cold temperature, they only turn off all the waterflow to that side of the faucet.

Fortunately, there is water in your hot water heater or you would have burned up the electric element (if it is turned on) and damaged the tank and lining if you turned on the gas side with the tank empty. It sounds like your one way valve at the top outlet of your water heater is leaking. This allowed water to flow into the tank to "save" you from damage. But, it also sounds like there is no water flowing through the tank based on your statement that there is only cold water flowing at the faucets.

I have included two pictures of the bypass valve. It is located near the floor, directly behind the water heater. It is a 1/4 turn valve, turn it to the "other" position from what it is now and see if you have hot water at the faucet. If you do, then the bypass was not turned properly, if you don't then the one way valve is defective and not allowing water to flow out of your tank. However, I'd think it's the bypass valve not turned to on.

Note that in one of the pictures there are additional valves but they are not installed in your RV. Only the one valve at the lower inlet to the water heater is present in your model. It is difficult to see because it is installed between the water line and the tank and is nearly hidden by the line. You'll probably need a flash light and a long, crooked neck to get around behind everything that's in the way to see the valve, but it's there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH BYPASS1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	4569   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH BYPASS.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	4570  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Roller4Tan

after you switch the valve(s) and turn the hot water on give it a chance to flow to the faucet. My kitchen faucet is about 20' of line from the water heater.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote