Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
dpcrf450

Beware of these tires

In January we purchased a fuzion 342. We have camped with it 10 or so times putting maybe 1500 miles or so on it. We love it. We recently talked to another Fuzion 342 owner about the tires that were on his unit which happened to be the same as ours when we bought our trailer. The brand is trailer king and the tires were E rated. He talked about having a blow out and discovering that the inside of the other tires had bubbles forming on them. I didn't know what he was talking about at first but became increasingly concerned that these tires were not up to par as I researched on the various forums, etc.... I decided to invest in upgrading to G rated goodyear tires hoping that I might reduce my risk of having a tire issue. Since the trailer king tires were so new I decided to keep the tires and see if I could sell them. Here is a photo of the inner facing side of one of the tires. Two of the four tires had this problem. Unbelievable is all I have to say. I would note that I religiously check tire pressure before and during any use off the trailer. I would urge all folks with these tires to at least check the inner facing side wall of the tire and or get different tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	3422  
dpcrf450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
X-Treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpcrf450 View Post
In January we purchased a fuzion 342. We have camped with it 10 or so times putting maybe 1500 miles or so on it. We love it. We recently talked to another Fuzion 342 owner about the tires that were on his unit which happened to be the same as ours when we bought our trailer. The brand is trailer king and the tires were E rated. He talked about having a blow out and discovering that the inside of the other tires had bubbles forming on them. I didn't know what he was talking about at first but became increasingly concerned that these tires were not up to par as I researched on the various forums, etc.... I decided to invest in upgrading to G rated goodyear tires hoping that I might reduce my risk of having a tire issue. Since the trailer king tires were so new I decided to keep the tires and see if I could sell them. Here is a photo of the inner facing side of one of the tires. Two of the four tires had this problem. Unbelievable is all I have to say. I would note that I religiously check tire pressure before and during any use off the trailer. I would urge all folks with these tires to at least check the inner facing side wall of the tire and or get different tires.
Did you maybe mean POWER king, rather than trailer king? Power king tow max are what everyone seems to have a hate on for, myself included. Got 2 years trouble free out of them, but wasn't chancing a third. Went with Maxxis.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
crash

for the info I will have to check mine when I get home this evening.
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #4
therink

My 2013 Sydney came with these "Trailer King" tires. Fortunately I made the dealer swap them out with American made LT tires before taking delivery. I am glad I did.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #5
Bob Landry

LT tires are generally the tire of choice. However, I think a lot of people jump on that without considering the load rating of them. Any replacement tires need to be of the same rating or greater.
I went through the tire anguish also. What I found was a very limited selection of LT in the 15" size, and the ones I did find didn't cut it on the rating. I didn't want to replace wheels so I ended up buying Maxxis Load Range E tires. They are a higher load range than my originals. Maxxis makes them in both D & E ratings.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

First off i am not defending that brand of tire. but I looked closely at your picture. the tire had some help in getting that way. Any tire hitting a pothole can break the sidewall cord and bubble like that. But before you chop my head off a weak side wall will also show up this way. What I am saying and your picture confirms. Is that you all ways need to check the tires on both side walls as part of the pre trip and after encountering a pothole. Enjoy those new tires.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
SmittysRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Treme View Post
Did you maybe mean POWER king, rather than trailer king? Power king tow max are what everyone seems to have a hate on for, myself included. Got 2 years trouble free out of them, but wasn't chancing a third. Went with Maxxis.
I had the Tow Max Power Kings, what a waste of rubber. Two blow outs, complete tire failure. Luckily each blow out didn’t take my side panels with it. Make sure to contact your tire warranty and you can get a replacement. I just got all new Goodyear Marathons on my Raptor 4014. I sure hope they are better. A good friend of mine has had good luck with them and they seem to be a much better quality tire.

Here is a pic of my last blow out.

SmittysRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Bugle Boy

I just checked mine and I have the Trailer King made in china.

But I noticed something I should have noticed before. None of my 4 wheels have balance weights which means they were never balanced.

That needs to be checked during the PDI and I didn't do that.

I will be replacing these soon as I have zero confidence in the quality of chinese tires.
2014 Cougar 31RKS
TV 2012 Ford F250

https://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps6b1f8d57.jpg
Bugle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
dpcrf450

Appreciate the feedback and agree that this could be from the poor quality of our northern california highways or pot holes. No doubt, but man, I have never had any tire from any of my present and past vehicles/trailers have this problem.
dpcrf450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
fla-gypsy

Chinese made trailer tires have the worse reputation of any tire made for any use for good reason. I switched to the Thai made Maxxis ST 225/75R15E tires for the same reason Bob makes. Namely the availability of no suitable LT tires in the 15" size. Until a better alternative comes available the Maxxis ST tire is the best out there.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
IdahoSRT10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla-gypsy View Post
Chinese made trailer tires have the worse reputation of any tire made for any use for good reason. I switched to the Thai made Maxxis ST 225/75R15E tires for the same reason Bob makes. Namely the availability of no suitable LT tires in the 15" size. Until a better alternative comes available the Maxxis ST tire is the best out there.
I am pro buy USA but the Maxxis ST is one good tire! I have yet to see one fail.
08 Viper SRT-10 Coupe
10' Cyclone enclosed car hauler
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
fla-gypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
I am pro buy USA but the Maxxis ST is one good tire! I have yet to see one fail.
Oh they can fail just like any tire when damaged or from road hazards. I recently replaced my old set that had been on the trailer for 6+ years and I changed them because one started separating. 6+ years is unheard of with most ST tires.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
abneynormal

i blew 3 power king crap olas

I had 3 different blow outs. after researching ALL st tires are rated for 65 mph max speed. I chose firestone transforce ht tires they are 10 ply lt tires with a speed rating of 106 mph and a load rating of 3169. the tires we had were 235/80-16. I would opt with 245/75-16 if this is your size. the 14 plys were more expensive and I heard a few negative reviews
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by abneynormal View Post
I had 3 different blow outs. after researching ALL st tires are rated for 65 mph max speed. I chose firestone transforce ht tires they are 10 ply lt tires with a speed rating of 106 mph and a load rating of 3169. the tires we had were 235/80-16. I would opt with 245/75-16 if this is your size. the 14 plys were more expensive and I heard a few negative reviews
Like ST tires, LT tires have their load capacity calculated from their load range. The LT245/75R16E tires are rated at 3042# at 80 psi.

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
abneynormal

you are right it is still over 3000 not by much I know the purist will harp the st tires were for 3500 oh well my actual weight on all 3 axles is 14200 with both bikes in the back. lets do the math axle 6000 actual 4733.3. the tire is 304? the actual weight is 2366.7. I have room to spare. it varies for each rv. weigh your rv by the actual axle weights and divide between number of axles. there are those who make it the total weight of the rv minus your drive weight on your toter. I don't too many years in a tractor trailer to believe that your toter carries its weight in travel just like the trailer axles. be sure to weigh your rv and whatever you do DON'T drop your trailer on the scales you can damage them.
abneynormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
KanTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugle Boy View Post
None of my 4 wheels have balance weights which means they were never balanced.
That needs to be checked during the PDI and I didn't do that.
Paul, I apologize in advance if I've misunderstood your comment but.....

Generally speaking, RV tires are not balanced by the RV manufacturer, nor RV dealerships prior
to the sale. There may be some exceptions, with some manufacturers/dealers of course, but typically
it's the buyer's decision/choice to have them balanced (elsewhere) after purchase.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
theeyres

I have hit thousands of potholes with my truck and car--many in Northern CA as I used to live on the OR/CA border--and I've never had a tire bubble. In fact I've never had a tire failure, other than flats caused by nails. Why shouldn't a trailer tire be built to the same specs? If a pothole will cause a bubble that seems like pretty conclusive proof of a cheap, poorly built tire!

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:52 AM   #18
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
I have hit thousands of potholes with my truck and car--many in Northern CA as I used to live on the OR/CA border--and I've never had a tire bubble. In fact I've never had a tire failure, other than flats caused by nails. Why shouldn't a trailer tire be built to the same specs? If a pothole will cause a bubble that seems like pretty conclusive proof of a cheap, poorly built tire!
That way of thinking is why I no longer buy Goodyear tires for my vehicles. I had four Goodyear Wrangler H/T's on my truck. I was driving in a harvested corn field and noticed a knot about the size of a baseball on my sidewall. I left the field and went back to the Goodyear store. Upon my arrival, I noticed that a second tire had developed a knot as well. The Goodyear rep said that I must have hit something. They would not even pro rate the tread wear toward the purchase of a new tire. The very next day, the third tire had a knot. No pro rating for this tire and no consideration about how suspect this seemed. Well, two weeks later, the set was complete. My fourth tire developed the same knot as well. After that round, I've bought nothing but Michelin tires.
My cousin bought the same tires for his truck at the same time that I had bought mine. Guess what? He had knots in his sidewalls as well and got the same treatment as I did. Michelin got a second customer.
I don't know if I want my trailer tires built to those standards. I know this is an absurd comparison, but this just proves that even tires with a reputable name fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
chuck&gail

You said you changed tire LOAD RANGE. Did you check rating on rims? Usually stamped on rear, or in valley under the tire. Over pressure on rims no safer than on tires. Be careful out there.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
T11ravis

This was my Friday evening thanks to Tow Max...
WERA #13

'13 Raptor 300mp
'11 F350 6.7L CC DRW FX4
T11ravis is offline   Reply With Quote