Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
js9234

I don't mind taking my time at all. Thanks for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
On the other hand, we were in almost the same situation and pulled our trailer 1000's of miles including all the way from OR to the tip of Baja. Once we accepted the limits (and I do mean limits of climbing hills very slow, a lot of down shifting) we enjoyed out time. Sure, now that we are back to a trailer but have the 3/4 ton diesel, it is far more enjoyable but it can still be very relaxing if you can accept a slower lifestyle.
Yeah, I was just making the point that if it came from the factory with 3.94 it would have changed my pulling capacity from 8500 to 10500. It pulled pretty good with 3.55's. I pack pretty light anyways so I doubt I'll pack it to max.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDonna View Post
Just a note JS changing your gear ratio does not effect the weight carrying capacity of your vehicle in any way. All that it does is gives you better starts off the line and you will get up to speed a little faster. I have a half ton Dodge and change from 3.55 to 3.93's. It also means I tow a little better going up hill. On another note I have never ever put so much stuff into my trailer or truck that I have been overweight.
js9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
bartman

JS, I see you got lots of advise, but no one really gave you the simple answer you asked for. I’ll try and explain it…..simply, here’s kinda how it breaks down.
Your truck probably weighs about 5400# (truck GVWR 6800# – payload 1400#). Your trucks GCWR is 14000# (truck weight 5400# + max trailer weight 8500#). The trailer is 7000# empty with a tongue weight that’s probably about 875# (7000# X .125(10%-15% of trailer weight)). Now for the confusing part. The tongue weight counts as two things. It’s part of the trailer weight, but it’s also cargo for the truck since the truck is physically supporting that portion of the trailers’ weight. So dry weights of truck with trailer comes to: truck 5400# + tongue weight 875# + trailer 7000# = 13275#. That leaves you with 725# of cargo capacity (GCWR 14000# - dry weight of truck and trailer 13275#) that can be distributed between the truck and trailer. That 725# has to include all passengers, liquids in the truck and trailer (gas, propane, water), the hitch assembly, plus gear, clothes, and food. If your gas tank holds 30 gallons, there goes 180#. Two 20# propane tanks weigh 60# full. Plus a 30# trailer battery and a 30# hitch assembly means you have a whopping 425# left for passengers, gear, clothes, food, and water if you choose to carry some in the trailers tanks. Then there’s axel weight ratings to consider too, but that’s another story.
Whether or not your combination is safe, legal, or ethical isn’t my place to say. Like threeyrs said, there are lots of rigs out there operating outside of their manufacturers specifications, some grossly. You’re the only one that can decide whether or not you’re comfortable with what you’re doing. You have to drive it, and ultimately accept any consequences of your actions. That being said, hope you have a great trip next month and an enjoyable drive.
bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #23
js9234

Thanks... Yeah, I need to go weigh it when it's fully loaded with passengers and gear to see if I'm within the limits. It pulls and stops great. I have't been on the highway for more than 60 miles yet but it didn't sway much during that time. I'm taking a 400 mile trip Memorial Day weekend with some big hills and lots of wind so that will be the real test. Thanks again for dumbing it down for me lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman View Post
JS, I see you got lots of advise, but no one really gave you the simple answer you asked for. I’ll try and explain it…..simply, here’s kinda how it breaks down.
Your truck probably weighs about 5400# (truck GVWR 6800# – payload 1400#). Your trucks GCWR is 14000# (truck weight 5400# + max trailer weight 8500#). The trailer is 7000# empty with a tongue weight that’s probably about 875# (7000# X .125(10%-15% of trailer weight)). Now for the confusing part. The tongue weight counts as two things. It’s part of the trailer weight, but it’s also cargo for the truck since the truck is physically supporting that portion of the trailers’ weight. So dry weights of truck with trailer comes to: truck 5400# + tongue weight 875# + trailer 7000# = 13275#. That leaves you with 725# of cargo capacity (GCWR 14000# - dry weight of truck and trailer 13275#) that can be distributed between the truck and trailer. That 725# has to include all passengers, liquids in the truck and trailer (gas, propane, water), the hitch assembly, plus gear, clothes, and food. If your gas tank holds 30 gallons, there goes 180#. Two 20# propane tanks weigh 60# full. Plus a 30# trailer battery and a 30# hitch assembly means you have a whopping 425# left for passengers, gear, clothes, food, and water if you choose to carry some in the trailers tanks. Then there’s axel weight ratings to consider too, but that’s another story.
Whether or not your combination is safe, legal, or ethical isn’t my place to say. Like threeyrs said, there are lots of rigs out there operating outside of their manufacturers specifications, some grossly. You’re the only one that can decide whether or not you’re comfortable with what you’re doing. You have to drive it, and ultimately accept any consequences of your actions. That being said, hope you have a great trip next month and an enjoyable drive.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
js9234

Just fyi. I ran across an awesome deal on a 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with a Hemi and 3.73 gears and traded. A little upside down but piece of mind and safety was worth it. My other truck did pull well though and my trip got cancelled because of the Tornados. Now I have to figure out how to corrcetly set up my WDH for this truck because it sits much taller. Also, I will be sending y'all the bill for my trade in lol