Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #21
rjsurfer

Kinda makes you wonder about Keystone, first their decals keep fading and coming off now they can't even paint these front caps correctly

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #22
rosede

Unhappy Mine too

My camper is just shy of 1 year. I got it at the end of August last year and I just noticed my front cap is starting to fade. I logged on to post a question about another issue that I'm having, seen this post and couldn't resist complaining myself.

I just called my dealer and talked to them about it. He asked for pictures. I'll get them tonight and get them sent to him. Hopefully they'll get it fixed for me. I'm not to happy that the paint is already fading.

Daryl

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #23
Albert T

Front Cap Fading Badly

Purchased a 2012 Cougar High Country 246rls in May of this year (brand new). After 3 months the brown front cap is fading. Splotchy looking dark and light colored areas. Will be contacting my dealer as well regarding repainting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130823-00405.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	4072  
Albert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #24
jje1960

Front cap fade ..no more!..

Realize this is an old post... However thanks to Max posting the link to the 3M Marine product, our cap looks like new again. Used a very cheap RYOBI 10" orbital and the 3M. Hardest part of the job is reaching everywhere, didn't feel like climbing up on the roof today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0010sm.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	4322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011sm.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	4323   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012sm.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	4324  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
jje1960

Fading

Hey Pappy, I posted this in another thread, this stuff is awesome, Max turned me on to this in the Toyhauler thread.

Realize this is an old post... However thanks to Max posting the link to the 3M Marine product, our cap looks like new again. Used a very cheap RYOBI 10" orbital and the 3M. Hardest part of the job is reaching everywhere, didn't feel like climbing up on the roof today.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0010sm.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	4325   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0011sm.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	4326   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	4327  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #26
laidback

I was thinking of trying to use the stuff they show on TV, that renews the finish on car lights and bumpers. Has anyone tried this or do you think it might work?
Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #27
jje1960

Tv stuff for headlights

Don't have a clue.... However, proof is in the pictures, the 3M product does work, I would not chance the headlight cleaner.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #28
jmarchant

Hello, which 3m products did Max refer to for the faded cap. Mine is in need of some tlc. Thanks Jim
jmarchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
Pappydude

Thumbs up

Thought I'd finish what I started here. The end cap was repainted in June 2013 and looks great. The "fangs" - the decals on the front - arrived in late October after bitching to the dealer (service) and Keystone. Keystone sent me some in early Oct but only half of what I needed (the dark 'fang' color) - even after I'd sent before and after pics. I complained to the company again and they sent me the white part - but the wrong size. The dealer advised several times that the "fangs" don't have part numbers so it was hit and miss to get the right ones!! Apparently! After getting what we thought were the right pieces, a person was sent to install them. The dark part was so flimsy it tore apart in his hand. Fortunately he owns a sign shop and could make his own. He did that and all is now good. But remember, this started back when? May?? Good thing I wasn't in a hurry eh?
Happy RV'n everyone
Pappy
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #30
jje1960

3m product

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarchant View Post
Hello, which 3m products did Max refer to for the faded cap. Mine is in need of some tlc. Thanks Jim
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UnF9SlRDveU

Again, works great, proof in the pictures.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #31
brunocougar

Did you go over the decals with the 3m stuff ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1960 View Post
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1#.UnF9SlRDveU

Again, works great, proof in the pictures.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #32
jje1960

Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunocougar View Post
Did you go over the decals with the 3m stuff ????
Yes, however carefully.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #33
rosede

I initially posted my comments back in August. At the time my camper was less than a year old. I discovered the paint on the front cap fading, called my dealer, and submitted pictures. I was told to go to a local paint/body shop for an estimate. This place specializes in semi trucks, buses and other large body vehicles. They gave an estimate, and to my pleasure, Keystone stepped up and did the right thing and authorized the work.

The paint job was completed within a few day's, but then it ground to a halt. My camper sat in their warehouse for nearly four months waiting on decals. Keystone kept sending the wrong ones. I finally found out that the decal manufacture went out of business and that Keystone was trying to find another manufacture. I just learned that the decals are on back order indefinitely.

Here it's the first week of December, and I haven't seen my camper for four months. I was really getting concerned about getting it winterized. I know that the body shop said that their warehouse is heated, but I didn't feel comfortable leaving it there, so I decided to pull it out and take it to CW to get winterized. Yesterday was a very nice day, upper 50's, Otherwise, its been in the 20's and I was worried that if I pulled it out it would start to freeze before CW got it into their shop, so I took advantage of the nice break in weather and got it completed.

The paint job looks really, really good. The body shop told me that they use a higher quality of paint than what Keystone uses, so I don't need to worry about it fading again. I just hope that the decals get worked out by summer so I can use my camper. I can use it as is, but it looks funny without all of the decals on the front.

Daryl

Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #34
Outbackmel

Decals

I would not let lack of decals keep me from 1 days use of my RV. Some folks have had issues and leave the cap just painted. If you never find the decal, find a similar unit and take photos and measurements and go to a local sign shop and see if they can design and print a suitable match. These shops today have sophisticated equipment where they make specific wraps for cars, busses , etc .
Fast Signs or similar companies. Won't be cheap, but, I think you can get what makes you happy.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm guessing that if the decals are no longer being produced that you will never find the "exact decal" If I remember correctly, not all of the decals are "continuing decals" that bend around the front and go along the sides. So, all the other "front only" decals will look "OK" as long as it's a "front only" decal. There are a number on EBay for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outback-keys...cfa55c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outback-by-k...5c9387&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outback-Deca...6b1114&vxp=mtr

It might be possible to find the decals yourself. I'm guessing that if the paint shop hasn't found them in 4 months, they aren't looking too hard for replacements. Keystone may not have them, so maybe it's time to take matters into your own hands and find something you'd be satisfied with.

Good Luck !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #36
rosede

The decals that are missing are the ones that wrap around from the side to the front.

Quote:
I would not let lack of decals keep me from 1 days use of my RV. Some folks have had issues and leave the cap just painted. If you never find the decal, find a similar unit and take photos and measurements and go to a local sign shop and see if they can design and print a suitable match. These shops today have sophisticated equipment where they make specific wraps for cars, busses , etc .
Fast Signs or similar companies. Won't be cheap, but, I think you can get what makes you happy.

I told the body shop that we'll figure out what to do in the spring. Perhaps I can have some made myself, and they'll put them on for me.

Daryl

Old 12-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #37
Outbackmel

Making decals

I am pretty sure if you do choose to go that route, your issue will be solved. Many on this forum have spoken directly to the inexpensive decals used by Keystone (and other) manufacturers.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #38
rosede

I thought that I would provide an update to this issue.

I located a decals online, with help from this forum. A while back I was poking around on the website and discovered this sticky.

Rv suppliers and rv parts sources

One of the links in that thread is for an online supplier that has decals. I figured out which decals I needed, contacted my dealer, and he ordered them for me, shipped them directly to me. I took the camper and decals down to the body shop Monday to have them applied. I got down there and the body shop told me that they had just received decals from Keystone as well. I had them apply the decals from Keystone and I intend to return the ones that they dealer ordered back to the dealer so he can get his money back.

I was afraid that over the winter Keystone and the body shop would both forget about the decals so I was being proactive and looking from them on my own. But, to my surprise, neither Keystone nor the body shop forgot and I now have a nice freshly panted front cap and decals.

Thank you to JRTJH for posting that link.

Daryl

Old 07-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #39
pramey9876

I have a badly faded front cap, went thru Keystone and got the standard "not our problem" answers, filed a small claims court action, they settled with me for the cost of having a local paint company repaint the cap. I covered to decals which is a small cost compared to the paint. My opinion, don't let them blow you off without fixing a well known problem.
pramey9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #40
jaspears75

What year is your camper? Asking because we have a 2014 Premier Ultra Lite in which the cap is so bad its embarrassing to take out. Any ideas how to fix?
jaspears75 is offline   Reply With Quote