Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
RV Newbie

Moved to Towing category

Good afternoon! We are new to the world of travel trailers and are strongly considering the 2013 Passport 3220BH. We are a family of five and want to get something that can carry our family through early childhood and the teenage years. Our concern with this purchase is the wheelbase of our vehicle.

Our TV is a 2011 Infiniti QX 56 (4WD). The weight and power parameters appear to be fine:

Max Tow Capacity = 8500 lbs
Max Tongue Load = 850 lbs
GCWR = 14,480 lbs

5.6-liter V8 Engine
400 hp
413 pound-feet of torque

Our main concern is the wheelbase of our TV = 121.1in.
The Overall length = 208.3 in.

If we put a Reese DC system with automatic brake assistance on the Passport 3220BH, will it be safe to tow with our vehicle (assuming that we are diligent about checking our weight distribution and staying within recommended parameters)?

The dealership, of course, says yes. Since our most precious cargo will be on board the TV (our kids) I was hoping that one or more experienced towers could also give me their opinions/suggestions before we make the purchase. If we need to go smaller we will do so, albeit reluctantly.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
RV Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
therink

Hi, what is the gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr) of the trailer? Assume 13% tongue weight and make sure it does not exceed the gvwr of your Infinity fully loaded with passengers and gear. I think you may have a an issue here. That is a heavy trailer and in my opinion will require a 3 quarter ton truck to tow safely.
I'm sure others will chime in. Adequate wheelbase is am issue with trailer that long. There is a formula to use but I can't recall what it is.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
x96mnn

Not a great or even good trailer TV combination. Your TV should not be towing much more then a 24ft trailer. Rule of thumb is 120" for 24 feet then every 4" of extra wheel base buys you a foot more.

I attempted a very similar combination in a camper that was 27ft and a TV which had 109" wheel base. I added the Reese dual cam system to the set up and it was an absolute nightmare. I could not go over 40mph and not have the trailer pushing the rig all over the place. I had plenty of power and no trouble stoping, it was the almost constant being pushed into the incoming lane that made us tow it twice then park it for a season full time until we bought a truck.

Maybe if you add the Hensley system it will give you the control but the Reese IMHO from experience is out matched in that set up.

I think most replies in here will tell you not to even think about it doing this. A crew cab truck most likely be needed and possibly a 2500 series. That camper loaded up 8k with about 900 pds of your payload used up and a lot of 1500 series trucks only come with 1500pds payload. That's only leaving 600 pds for all your family, hitch and anything else you add to the truck which is not an lot.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
cathcartww

I think your concerns are valid. You have to work out the numbers, but you are going to be right at the capacity of the SUV, and the short wheelbase will not help the handling qualities. If the kids are still small, and their toys not too heavy, you might be OK in the short term, but you are probably not going to like how things tow in the long run once the toys get more numerous, and the kids want to bring friends.

I think you are going to be in the market for a bigger TV in the near future. How about a nice one ton van?

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
davidjsimons

As mentioned above, that's 24' counting the tongue. The unit you're looking at is around 35' 5" counting the tongue. Power, with newer tow vehicles, is seldom the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
RV Newbie

Trailer Specs

Thanks for the input everyone! Here are the trailer specs per the manufacturer's website:

Shipping Weight: 6040 lbs
Carrying Capacity: 1460 lbs
Hitch Weight: 600 lbs

Please let me know if they change or reinforce any opinions. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
RV Newbie

Exactly the type of info that I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
Not a great or even good trailer TV combination. Your TV should not be towing much more then a 24ft trailer. Rule of thumb is 120" for 24 feet then every 4" of extra wheel base buys you a foot more.

I attempted a very similar combination in a camper that was 27ft and a TV which had 109" wheel base. I added the Reese dual cam system to the set up and it was an absolute nightmare. I could not go over 40mph and not have the trailer pushing the rig all over the place. I had plenty of power and no trouble stoping, it was the almost constant being pushed into the incoming lane that made us tow it twice then park it for a season full time until we bought a truck.

Maybe if you add the Hensley system it will give you the control but the Reese IMHO from experience is out matched in that set up.

I think most replies in here will tell you not to even think about it doing this. A crew cab truck most likely be needed and possibly a 2500 series. That camper loaded up 8k with about 900 pds of your payload used up and a lot of 1500 series trucks only come with 1500pds payload. That's only leaving 600 pds for all your family, hitch and anything else you add to the truck which is not an lot.
Thanks so much for the formula!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
davidjsimons

I think you have a wonderful vehicle and are looking at a nice travel trailer. I just don't believe that you are going to like the results of the combination.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
RV Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
I think you have a wonderful vehicle and are looking at a nice travel trailer. I just don't believe that you are going to like the results of the combination.

Thanks David! Your feedback and that of everyone that has taken the time to reply is greatly appreciated. As a complete novice, I am so happy to have found this forum to get honest opinions before buying. We are hoping to avoid a costly mistake! We will now focus on 23' trailers like the 2300 BH as there is no way we will be upgrading our vehicle anytime soon.

Best wishes!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

RV Newbie -

Without taking into consideration any weights or ratings of the 3220BH and the Infinity based on its wheelbase alone, I would not recommend towing a trailer whose overall length is probably 35 ft.

Since it appears as though you will be keeping the Infinity, I would suggest that you look for a trailer that is shorter and better suited to this SUV.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
SteveC7010

What is the payload rating for the SUV?
How much do the five of you collectively weight?
How much stuff would you carry in the SUV and its weight?
What is the rear axle rating for the SUV?

If you have read any of the other towing threads (and I strongly encourage you to do so), you will quickly see that factory tongue weight ratings are on EMPTY trailers with no options installed. That means that as soon as you put anything in the trailer, you will alter the tongue weight.

You should calculate your trailer's tongue weight at 12 to 15% of the trailer's GVWR, not it's empty weight. Your proposed trailer has a GVWR of 7,500# which means you should have the capability of handling tongue weights of as much as 1,125#. Not saying you'll actually get that heavy, but for the tow vehicle to properly and safely match the trailer, you should have enough payload rating to handle the tongue, the people, a full tank of fuel, and any gear you might carry. Even at 12%, you'd still have a 900# tongue to consider. Experienced folks like a safety margin beyond that of at least 10% capacity. Typical payload capacity on SUV's, even the big ones like the Suburban and Tahou, is almost always less than 1,000#. I doubt that your Infinity has a payload rating greater than 900#.

Real life experience: We bought a '99 Sunline new at the end of 1998. It was a 25' trailer with a factory tongue weight listed at 535#. A friend has a scale especially made for weight trailer tongues. We scaled the Sunline with an actual tongue weight of 820#.

Another friend had a 25' trailer with a GVWR much higher than our Sunline. Her scaled tongue weight was consistently over 1,000#. She towed with Ford F350's.

Typical payload ratings on new half ton pickups range from about 1,400# up to around 1,900#. Even those numbers are stretching it for a 35' trailer. Now you begin to understand why so many of us have 3/4 ton trucks. Yes, there are also many folks here who do tow with an SUV or a half ton. However they understand towing and have experience at it, usually a lot.

Read over a bunch of threads here on towing. We've answered the same questions from other SUV owners with the same answers you see here.

I am sorry that the answers you are hearing from us are not what you'd like them to be.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #12
SAABDOCTOR

Of course you can tow with that THE SALESMAN WANTS A SALE HE WILL SAY ANYTHING TO MAKE IT ok done yelling. as others have posted you need to go smaller in the trailer or larger in the truck. please remember your tv will get it going with out a problem. but stopping it will be at best. I understand why you want that trailer with your family. but please consider a better qulified tv. to keep your family safe.I towed my present trailer with a dodge 2500 td numbers were all good but what a differenace when i put it on the 3500! good luck in your search. all the best
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
Hmmmmm...... so, a 32 foot trailer would require a wheelbase of 120" + (8*4") = (at least) 152 inches? That would just about insure that it was an American, 1 ton, crew cab, with a long box.....!
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
ewkearns

Not familiar with the tow vehicle, so I looked at the specs and found some serious blah-blah-blah stuff in the mice type.....

Of serious importance is the GCVW and the Axle Weight Limits.....

GCVW looks really small when you consider the weight of the vehicle plus the number of people and assorted junk for that many folks....

I think I noticed something that didn't make sense.... IMHO, you can't really have:

I would consider that the Max Tongue load would limit you to a safe 7,000 lbs.

Another consideration is that trying to produce 400 hp out of that small a displacement is going to cause towing to sound like a Formula 1 race, except when headed down hill....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
Old 04-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
I think I noticed something that didn't make sense.... IMHO, you can't really have:

I would consider that the Max Tongue load would limit you to a safe 7,000 lbs.
Some of these towing ratings on SUV's in particular are not really for travel trailers and such as your numbers clearly point out. However, boats get towed a lot, and generally are balanced on their trailers so that tongue weight is a lot less than what we expect on a TT. That's some of the reasoning behind large pull ratings in SUV's and now the 1/2 pickups.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #16
davidjsimons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Some of these towing ratings on SUV's in particular are not really for travel trailers and such as your numbers clearly point out. However, boats get towed a lot, and generally are balanced on their trailers so that tongue weight is a lot less than what we expect on a TT. That's some of the reasoning behind large pull ratings in SUV's and now the 1/2 pickups.
To support that point, I have some rather large and heavy pull behind equipment. The tongue weight on those units are only 8%.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
Hmmmmm...... so, a 32 foot trailer would require a wheelbase of 120" + (8*4") = (at least) 152 inches? That would just about insure that it was an American, 1 ton, crew cab, with a long box.....!
Nope, sorry.

My 2010 Ford F150 Super Crew with a 6.5 foot box has a wheelbase of 157 inches.

Randy

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
davidjsimons

The wheelbase on my one ton long bed crew cab is 171".

Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #19
x96mnn

There are a few 1500 series trucks with a 150 to 162" wheel base but the average is around 140". I believe this is the reason there is a lot of expensive anti sway hitch systems sold today. The campers are being made much lighter and longer giving a lot of people the tail wagging the dog even though they are way under the max tow weight.

Not sure if these systems could make up for a 30" difference though...the Reese dual cam system cannot from my experience.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
ewkearns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_K View Post
Nope, sorry.

My 2010 Ford F150 Super Crew with a 6.5 foot box has a wheelbase of 157 inches.

Randy
Ooooops... my bad! I guess I got some bogus info on the Net (whoda thunkit?). Anyway, thanks for catching my mistake and adding about 10 inches to my wheelbase. My short-short bed crew cab is now 143.5" and I am good for a 29'-10.5" trailer! Oh...... bout there now..... never mind......
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC