Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
mowin

New TT on it way..Awning Question

Dealer will be delivering our 2013 38BHDS on Saturday. It has a lippert power awning. Can I attach a screen room to this? Worried the the weight of the awning will collapse the water dump feature. We are seasonal campers, so the awning/screen room will be up all season.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Dealer will be delivering our 2013 38BHDS on Saturday. It has a lippert power awning. Can I attach a screen room to this? Worried the the weight of the awning will collapse the water dump feature. We are seasonal campers, so the awning/screen room will be up all season.
Somebody asked about that a while back. You may want to search and see if you can find it. IIRC, the consensus was that the "patio rooms" that fasten to the perimeter of the awning were not going to work very well. The big obstacle seems to be the lack to a sturdy arm on each side of the awning to support the additional weight of the screen room walls.

We have the power awning on our Cougar, and I would not add a patio room to it specifically for this reason.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
GaryWT

I have heard of people adding poles to the corners for support but that does not seem to be good for the auto dump.. Does the awning also have the manual dump. My previous trailer had the auto dump only but my new one had the knob to lock down one side.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
mowin

Has a manual dump as they call it, but its no more then tipping the one side so the rain runs off easer. It does not have a lock down knob. I did think of some sort of adjustable poles to support the sides. I also keep a second refrigerator under the awning, and I dont want to bring my awning in when I leave for the weekend. I think I made a mistake going with a power awning.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
GaryWT

I do think it is a tough choice with a seasonal. We use to drop both sides on the awning and tie it down when we went home. Leaving the electric awning out also might be a wind problem as well.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

mowin -

Regardless of what type your awning is - manual or electric - you still have to take precautions when it is extended and if you are going to be leaving your RV unattended. Sudden, unexpected gusts of wind can damage both the awning and your camper. If you are going away for a weekend, it would be a good idea to bring your awning in - then you know it will be safe.

Some people retract the awning before retiring for the night as a wind may come up and start flapping the awning about making it difficult to sleep.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
mowin

Our site has a 8x20 cement padio. On our old TT I droped the awning arms and ancored them to the pad and had the one arm lower to shed water. Left the awning out all season. Have to rethink things. May talk to the dealer and see what he would give me for the power awning and switch it out for a manual.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Brantlaker

I bought a set of Awning support poles from a person on this forum his handle is dunnnc. I installed them last October and tried them out with 45-50 mph winds on the backside of SANDY in South Carolina the Awning flapped a lot but stayed in place.I just returned from 7 weeks in Florida and left it up the whole time.My neighbor down there liked them so much he made up a set someone else down there had a set that he made from tent poles and he had a Screen room attached to it. My screen room is on order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning Tie Downs worked great.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	2663  

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
mowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
I bought a set of Awning support poles from a person on this forum his handle is dunnnc. I installed them last October and tried them out with 45-50 mph winds on the backside of SANDY in South Carolina the Awning flapped a lot but stayed in place.I just returned from 7 weeks in Florida and left it up the whole time.My neighbor down there liked them so much he made up a set someone else down there had a set that he made from tent poles and he had a Screen room attached to it. My screen room is on order.
Does dunnnc make and sell them? Ive seen awning supports on CW website. I'll call the awning manufacture Monday, and see what they say about screen rooms and support poles....
Old 03-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

Dunnnc has not been active on the forum for some time (Last activity was back in March) but is still a member. You might try sending him a PM and ask but in view of his inactivity, you may not get a quick reply.