Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
howard

Corian counter top burn

The stove top cover was not completely pushed back against the wall and the rounded edge was burned by the flame about the size of a $.50 piece. The internet repair solutions include using a Scotch brite grey pad to 200 then 400 grit sandpaper. Any thoughts on the proper repair solution?
2006 Woodland Park
Had
2008 Montana
2005 Outback
2000 Lance + others
howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
The stove top cover was not completely pushed back against the wall and the rounded edge was burned by the flame about the size of a $.50 piece. The internet repair solutions include using a Scotch brite grey pad to 200 then 400 grit sandpaper. Any thoughts on the proper repair solution?
You could check with a shop that does counter tops, but I am willing to bet they do pretty much the same thing. You might want to look into finishing up with some finer grit wet sanding paper, maybe up to 600 or 800 grit to match the shine of the rest of the surface.

The info I found suggest using Soft Scrub first unless the damage is deeper. Corian material is identical all the way through so you can sand down quite a bit without sacrificing the appearance. The same source suggested using an electric sander on really deep damage like heavy knife marks.

Just remember that the rougher the grit you start with, the more effort it is going to take to remove sanding marks with progressive steps of finer grit. I would not go any rougher than 200 unless you find that 200 isn't doing the job.

One final point. For safety, don't do any dry sanding. Get sand paper that can be used wet to avoid any airborne dust from the Corian. It's tough to get out of carpets and such, and it is really bad stuff to be breathing into your lungs.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
Keeper

My last 5W had lots of scratches on the Corian counter top. I looked into how to remove the scratches and I was told by several knowledgeable people that if you've never done it before you could make things worst (a large sander and the right kind of sandpaper is needed to do this job right). So, I called several counter top contractors and they referred me to a guy who came to my RV with a small generator and a large sander and he did a great job. It only cost me $125
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 AM   #4
davidjsimons

I've sanded Corian countertops before. It is not all that difficult. I used the scotchbrite pad and then finished with wet sanding. It is not a difficult task at all. What's going to really matter is how deep the burn is into the Corian material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
DocData757

I did the same thing to my stove cover and with a lot of filing, sanding, polishing most of it is gone but the edge of the counter is no longer straight. This is not the same a scratching the surface. The damage from applying a flame to Corian runs much deeper.
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

The range bi-fold top cover is actually 2 pieces of corian, each measuring about 10" x 22". It may well be possible, if the repair doesnt work out like you'd expect, to get your dealer to order a replacement slab of corian from Keystone, simply unscrew the old and install the new ????

That may be cheaper than paying $125 for someone to buff out the burn and wind up with a "sanded void" to look at every day.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote