Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
Nudels2u75

Hot water heater/Propane problems

This is a 2013 Raptor 300MN ----I ran out of propane, hooked up new bottle, lite burners and ran for several minutes, lite furnace and have ran for 4 days now....

I have the red rocker switch on my main control panel for the Hot Water Heater, and it says when it is up, and has the little red light above it that it should lite....I also understand that it has a lock out on it....It is working as everyday I get of of work I have tried something different....I have tried this about 20 times every afternoon for the last 4 days...

It is arching....It is getting gas to the valve body on the side of the hot water heater, I could not tell if it was getting gas on the other side of that valve body where it goes to the pilot tube....Possibly the pilot tube has debri in it....valve body went bad

today I am going to take a lighter and try to see if the arch needs to be longer to start the burner.

I am not sure as if this also has the Electric capabilities---I could not figure out how to change it over with the owners manuel.

As I am currently living in the camper while working on the road, I have had to change the bottles out several times....This has just become a problem
Nudels2u75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the "leak safety valve cutout" in the refilled tank is activated. The first thing to do is to cut off both the propane tanks. Then SLOWLY open the main tank, light the furnace and the HWH. they should work OK. then, after they are working, SLOWLY open the valve on the second tank.

If you are living in your RV and staying in one place, you may find that it is beneficial to rent one or two 100 LB propane tanks, hook them up to your automatic changeover regulator and then keep the 30lb tanks in the trailer just for backup. Just leave the 30 lb tanks disconnected (unless you run out of propane) That way you'll get a couple of weeks to a month between tank changes.

As for turning on the electric HWH element. Stand in front of your hot water heater, stoop down so your eye level with the bottom of the opening and look to your left lower corner. You'll see the gas plumbing and right behind that is a small black switch. That's the electric element switch. Look carefully, it's mounted upside down, off is on top and on is the bottom of the switch. You can use either gas, electric or both if you choose. Many people use electric for constant use and just turn on the gas when they're showering to get quicker recovery and longer showers. ALWAYS be sure you have water in the tank before you turn on the electric element, if it is not submerged in water, it will burn out in only a few seconds.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Nudels2u75

Finally able to get electric Part to work

I was on the phone with the dealership/Tech and we were never able to get the propane part of the Hot water Heater to light but, after going thru all of the steps repeatedly with them for over an hour until closing. The Tech explained to me how to run it on electric only and I was able to get that working...

Finally a hot shower after 4 days

The owners manuel refers you to the operation manuel of the hot water heater, and neither one of them tell you how to operate the dam thing
Nudels2u75 is offline   Reply With Quote