Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
FamOFive

How to calculate REAL towing capacity

I was given this link by my friend that was also responsible for getting us into TT camping. (Yeah, he is one EXPENSIVE friend to have). But in all seriousness, this was extremely helpful to me as I knew nothing about the subject beforehand, so I thought I would pass it on.

The links in Step 1 to specific year vehicles and towing capacities of each is the key. Pay close attention to rear axle gear ratio in relation to the charts. I had to call the dealer with my VIN to get mine, but in the end it really helped!

http://bamarv.blogspot.com/2011/04/h...al-towing.html
FamOFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
f6bits

If only there were a way to calculate REAL trailer and hitch weight. My dealer (Mike Thompson's in Santa Fe Springs) doesn't own a scale.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
If only there were a way to calculate REAL trailer and hitch weight. My dealer (Mike Thompson's in Santa Fe Springs) doesn't own a scale.
I've found that if your TV can't handle at least 10% more than the GVWR of the trailer as tow weight and 15% of the GVWR in tongue weight or 20% for a pin weight you had better re-think... But even that doesn't speak of the wind mass of the trailer.. Too many short TV's can handle the weight but not the wind load of the longer trailers safely...
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
fla-gypsy

IMO if you exceed any of the manufacturers maximum "not to exceed" ratings you are overloaded and by definition operating unsafely. That would include the GVWR, payload rating, GCWR, FAWR, RAWR, Max tow rating, max receiver ratings and any others I may have forgotten. the only accurate way to know your actual weights would be to weigh the vehicle in a careful and calculated manner to ensure complaince to each rating.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
EcoboostKev

To the Op if you are that concerned about your limits and the purchase has already been made then i suggest you hook up the trailer with everything you are going to bring on a camping trip and hit a Cat Scale and find out your actual weights and go from there.. Good Luck, Kevin
https://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/...11_748-1-1.jpg
EcoboostKev is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calculate towing capacity, towing capacity