Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2023, 09:08 AM   #21
dutchmensport

There is a difference between Thor Industries that is the parent coorporation many, many "brands" under the Thor coorporation.

Then there is also Thor (motor coach) which is a brand.

Even RV Life sponsors a separate forum for Thor Motor Home owners (the brand) (not the "industries".)

Well... check this out. I just clicked on "Companies" on the Thor Industries main web site page, and guess who falls under "Thor" .... yep!! Jayco! Click here
Old 02-01-2023, 10:15 AM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

Winnebago bought Newmar and Thor bought Tiffin.

The name on the front/side of the RV doesn’t really mean anything anymore IMO. I’ve worked on them all.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:55 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

It's amazing how many companies are owned by other companies which are owned by yet another company. Take a look at JAB Holdings while you're eating that Krispy Kream doughnut ...https://i.insider.com/5ce55505021b4c...jpeg&auto=webp
or drinking a cup of coffee from your Kurig. "JAB Holding is the investment arm of the secretive Reimann family. JAB owns chains including Krispy Kreme, Panera, Caribou Coffee, Au Bon Pain, and Pret A Manger, as well as Keurig Dr. Pepper and bottled-water brand Core." From https://www.businessinsider.com/jab-...er-2019-4?op=1
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:00 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
It's amazing how many companies are owned by other companies which are owned by yet another company. Take a look at JAB Holdings while you're eating that Krispy Kream doughnut ...https://i.insider.com/5ce55505021b4c...jpeg&auto=webp
or drinking a cup of coffee from your Kurig. "JAB Holding is the investment arm of the secretive Reimann family. JAB owns chains including Krispy Kreme, Panera, Caribou Coffee, Au Bon Pain, and Pret A Manger, as well as Keurig Dr. Pepper and bottled-water brand Core." From https://www.businessinsider.com/jab-...er-2019-4?op=1
My last IT job was contract work via IBM for a company called AFC Enterprises. They owned among others, KFC, Popeyes, Seattle's Best Coffee, some Italian restaurant chain I had never heard of AND my favorite Cinnabon. Cinnabon brought in by the boss is the reason I lost my youthful figure.... We did the "transaction processing" IT work on AIX platforms for the bean counters in San Antonio and the main headquarters was elsewhere....
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #25
flybouy
Site Team

Here's a good article about who owns who when it concerns many or the popular fast food/restaurant chains. https://www.businessinsider.com/comp...ndustry-2019-1
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 12:53 PM   #26
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Here's a good article about who owns who when it concerns many or the popular fast food/restaurant chains. https://www.businessinsider.com/comp...ndustry-2019-1
I misspoke regarding AFC Enterprises owning KFC... they did own Churches and Popeyes. Honestly I have never eaten in either as I can't stand fast food fried chicken. I did eat in KFC a couple times as they have non-fried (I think it is roasted?) which is more appealing to me.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:48 PM   #27
ShotgunZ71

I have both Jayco and Keystone and honestly have had good service (so far) out of all 3. You can get a crappy unit from any manufacturer, just like cars and trucks. Only problem I ever had with my Outback was the screen on the outside control panel for the leveling, etc. They repaired it under warranty with no issues.

Either way, I wish you good luck on your next rig. Happy Camping!
Old 02-01-2023, 03:52 PM   #28
08quadram

I hope you have good luck with your Jaco. I have been pleasantly surprised by Keystone's warranty. I've had several. I do believe my nex trailer will be a Paradigm.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:12 PM   #29
wegone

Working in the building trades pretty much all my life, and training guys to become journeyman, I can honestly say not all folks are created equal.
Some have a natural ability to learn faster, and also some have a knack of quality first before speed.
I believe this carries over to all arenas in life.

Saying RV manufacturing is all the same is a disservice to many.
I have NEVER had an owner/superior tell me to "speed it up" for profit, it defies logic.

Matter of fact Bayliner boats went through a spell of poor-quality boats, defects, etc, and suffered greatly over their reputation.
They then pooled the money that is earmarked for warranty work, and distributed it to the workers if a boat didn't come back under warranty.
It greatly improved the boats build/quality.

I don't think all trailers are the same, nope.
Not what I have seen so far.
You have different material, hardware, etc.
I can tell you the difference between my Bullet and my new trailer is vastly better from the way the drawers shut, doors, fit and finish, locks, shower door, kitchen sink, countertop, not to mention the floors, Azdel panels, jacks, etc....
Has to be a reason my new trailer is smaller yet weighs about the same as the older trailer.

OK, I'm done.... but if you want to talk about which of the Charlie Angels or Ginger or Maryanne is best..... I'm game
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:23 PM   #30
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
OK, I'm done.... but if you want to talk about which of the Charlie Angels or Ginger or Maryanne is best..... I'm game
Just want to remind you that forum rules preclude discussing TV actresses (I think).
Old 02-01-2023, 04:34 PM   #31
notanlines

I’m more on board with Lynda Carter! And Bayliner is pretty much still only an entry-level boat, top to bottom.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:38 PM   #32
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I’m more on board with Lynda Carter! And Bayliner is pretty much still only an entry-level boat, top to bottom.
I have NEVER watched WONDER WOMAN... really...
Old 02-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #33
jasin1

i realize the brands are owned by the same parent company but it does seem like different rv brands operate differently..i see Jayco does a pre delivery pdi on all units …not sure if keystone leaves that up to the dealers or does it in-house.

could be just marketing hype

i looked at a jayco pinnacle and northpoint and was impressed but the pre 2023 models had IMO undersized running gear..they since moved up to higher rated tires and axles 2023 forward on pinnacle and northpoint https://www.rvnews.com/exclusive-jay...-100-pdi-goal/
Old 02-01-2023, 05:03 PM   #34
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Just want to remind you that forum rules preclude discussing TV actresses (I think).
Only rule I'm aware of is that they gotta be pretty
Old 02-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #35
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yes, that is mostly true, however they have many different of 'levels" of boats.
However my point was that they addressed build issues proactively, not just build a boat for max profit. I believe any trailer builder feels they are addressing quality and affordability honestly....some just better is all.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #36
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Let's see.... Thor owns Keystone RV. Thor owns Jayco. Thor owns most of the larger volume brands except Forest River. Jumping to a Jayco may not yield the results you hope for. Good luck.

BTW: Was the roof sealant ever touched up or serviced? On a 2 year old trailer, that should have happened several times.
On top of that, Thor Industries is owned by Brookshire Hathaway, which is owned by Warren Buffett. It's a small world.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:18 AM   #37
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Working in the building trades pretty much all my life, and training guys to become journeyman, I can honestly say not all folks are created equal.
Some have a natural ability to learn faster, and also some have a knack of quality first before speed.
I believe this carries over to all arenas in life.

Saying RV manufacturing is all the same is a disservice to many.
I have NEVER had an owner/superior tell me to "speed it up" for profit, it defies logic.

Matter of fact Bayliner boats went through a spell of poor-quality boats, defects, etc, and suffered greatly over their reputation.
They then pooled the money that is earmarked for warranty work, and distributed it to the workers if a boat didn't come back under warranty.
It greatly improved the boats build/quality.

I don't think all trailers are the same, nope.
Not what I have seen so far.
You have different material, hardware, etc.
I can tell you the difference between my Bullet and my new trailer is vastly better from the way the drawers shut, doors, fit and finish, locks, shower door, kitchen sink, countertop, not to mention the floors, Azdel panels, jacks, etc....
Has to be a reason my new trailer is smaller yet weighs about the same as the older trailer.

And storing them I always like to Marianne the best.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:22 AM   #38
WDPatterson

Time of year comes to mind, when talking about RV repairs. Did they do it out in the cold, or did they do it in a heated environment inside of a warehouse?
If they had to re-glue anything, it's best they did it indoors in the heat. Otherwise, it's a wasted effort.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:36 AM   #39
NH_Bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
On top of that, Thor Industries is owned by Brookshire Hathaway, which is owned by Warren Buffett. It's a small world.
Please stick to the facts and do not distribute fake news:

Berkshire Hathaway owns Forrest River and the brands under them. Thor is a competitor to Forrest River, and as such neither Thor nor any of their brands are owned by Forrest River or Warren Buffett or Berkshire Hathaway.

In fact, Thor is a publicly owned company and is traded on the NYSE as THO.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:56 AM   #40
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Please stick to the facts and do not distribute fake news:

Berkshire Hathaway owns Forrest River and the brands under them. Thor is a competitor to Forrest River, and as such neither Thor nor any of their brands are owned by Forrest River or Warren Buffett or Berkshire Hathaway.

In fact, Thor is a publicly owned company and is traded on the NYSE as THO.
Perhaps, I stand corrected. On the other hand, back in 2014, Warren Buffett owned a majority of Thor Industries through Berkshire Hathaway.

Since then, here is what has happened:
In July 2016, Thor acquired Jayco Inc. for $576 million. Jayco, based in Middlebury, Indiana, had been the largest privately owned RV maker in the world prior to the sale. Jayco's subsidiares (including Starcraft RV, Highland Ridge, and Entegra Coach) also came under the Thor umbrella.[40] In September 2018, it was announced that Thor had agreed to purchase Hymer, a German manufacturer of RVs, in a deal worth $2.45 billion in the largest acquisition in the company's history. Hymer is the largest RV manufacturer in Europe. As a result of the deal, Thor Industries became the largest RV manufacturer in the world.[41] The sale was officially finalized in February 2019.[42]

In December 2020, the company acquired the manufacturer of luxury recreational vehicles Tiffin Motorhomes for $300 Mln.[43]

It really doesn't matter who owns who, but the kind of Craftsman they hire. As it stands, in the last decade, quality has suffered greatly. It's best to go over a new RV with a fine tooth comb while it's still in the dealer parking lot. And, it's also best to get regular service intervals in the first two years. Take advantage of your warranty, and don't let them get away with anything.

Tags
keystone