Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2023, 04:34 PM   #1
Dirtflinger66

Shower walls yellowing

Hello all, have a 2022 301UBH still under warranty and going in, but has anyone had an issue with the white shower walls in the Outback’s turning a yellow color? Mine is doing that on the large wall from top down. Called CW and they are going to look at it and call Keystone. But was wondering if anyone has seen this?
Dirtflinger66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:59 PM   #2
Max23

I have not seen this. I have a couple guesses that may cause this but not sure enough to say. However, I am very interested in what they say about it. Could you please keep us updated and informed on what they say?
Thanks a ton in advance!
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:45 PM   #3
Dirtflinger66

I’m wondering if maybe the glue behind is bleeding through? Not sure. But the sealant around my sinks is yellowing too. I just noticed that. Hopefully they can and will take care of it under warranty. ??
Old 01-11-2023, 07:44 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I figure you will find that Keystone calls that a "cosmetic" defect which they won't cover...and it is although distressing. Do you leave it uncovered all the time with the sun coming through a skylight into the shower?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 08:26 PM   #5
Dirtflinger66

No covered when parked. Hopefully with warranty and the extended warranty they will cover it. I will see on the 31st or so.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:58 AM   #6
wegone

I had a big issue with my Bullet I purchased from CW brand new.
I was flagged down on the road as I was traveling to our destination by a concerned motorist.
I called CW the moment we arrived at that spot, which thankfully was not all that further along.
I was told it was like 6 months before they could even look at it
The day before we were to take it in we get a call and they say they can't work on it now, etc....
My warranty is lapsing, it's frustrating, and maddening.
My wife goes on social media and post up about our disappointments, etc, and within minutes she gets an email from someone high up in the CW management.
All of a sudden, we became important enough to get our phone calls returned.
However, even after we took it in, they still had issues and we got a run around.
Not until we got a new service manager did it finally get resolved.
It took almost a year; we lost opportunities to use it as we had already booked trips.
I sold that trailer and purchased a new one now that I had a better idea of what to look for in a trailer, that was our first one, and of course we learned what we really needed as opposed to what looked really cool, etc. As an example of that I mean an outside kitchen, it seemed sweet, I never used it.

Good luck, be nice to folks, but be persistent, don't let them walk all over you and hopefully these issues that seem cosmetic will be resolved, mine was the whole axle and suspension that was improperly installed
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:07 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

The "glue behind the shower panels" is applied in a "smearing strip" not as a "uniform layer", so if it was the adhesive causing the yellowing, you'd see it as "random streaks across the panel" not as a "uniform yellowing of the complete surface". So, unless the yellowing is uniform and completely affecting the entire surface, chances are it's not the adhesive causing the problem.

Not to defend Keystone, but they buy shower enclosures by the thousands, and if there were a problem with yellowing "across the board" it would be showing up in warranty claims on a frequent basis. We'd likely have numerous reports of the problem on the forum as well. So far, that doesn't seem to be happening, so I'd suspect this is an isolated problem, not a "across the inventory" problem.

The primary cause of yellowing plastic is UV radiation. Most of us with white plastic vents and moldings on the exterior of our trailer have noticed the "yellowing of white plastic". Then there's chlorine in the water and in cleaning agents we use. Chlorine causes plastics to chemically undergo a yellowing over time. Could it be some product that you're using to clean or to protect the shower walls ???

I'd suspect that Keystone is going to call this a "cosmetic condition" and deny any warranty if the problem is reported by the dealership as "appearance only".... If there's "any other problem they can find" with the shower enclosure, some defect, some installation issue, some bend or flex that affects how it performs, you might stand a chance of getting a new shower enclosure from Keystone. If it's "only issue is yellowing", then I'd almost bet you that it will be denied.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:04 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Our old Cougar (2002) had the yellowish enclosure from day one. When I replaced it (cracked and cracked some more especially around the pop rivets) I used a white enclosure and no pop rivets but glued it down with specialty adhesive (can't recall which but it is made for this purpose). Tub is still the yellowish color as I didn't swap it out; wish I had as it has a "seat" at one end that takes up much of the length. I have yet to shave my legs using the seat.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 07:25 AM   #9
Max23

All the information I have read or heard states to never use any type of chemical cleaner on these showers. Not sure why, however they state a vinegar water mix is the way to go. Not sure if a chemical cleaner can cause this????? Unsure.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:16 AM   #10
Dirtflinger66

Well it went in on the 31st. Service writer agreed that there’s something odd, especially they way/pattern it’s yellowing. I will update you guys when I hear this coming week. Thanks all
Old 02-06-2023, 06:44 PM   #11
Dirtflinger66

Well. At Camping World of Fresno,Ca they are replacing the shower walls and all the discoloration sealer on the sinks. 6-8 weeks for the shower but… they are replacing it all. Most have issues with their dealers but these guys are great!
Old 02-06-2023, 07:06 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Great news! Good for CW of Fresno.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:23 AM   #13
JoeJoeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtflinger66 View Post
Hello all, have a 2022 301UBH still under warranty and going in, but has anyone had an issue with the white shower walls in the Outback’s turning a yellow color? Mine is doing that on the large wall from top down. Called CW and they are going to look at it and call Keystone. But was wondering if anyone has seen this?
Hi yes we have a 2020 Keystone Outback and the shower walls are turning yellow from the top down, I put a cover in the sky light and it is still turning yellow, I don’t use anything on it to clean it so it’s not chemicals related, were uses squishy to wipe the water off and it’s not heat since there’s no heater vents in the bathroom. But it sure is frustrating and ugly to look at. Since we are living in our trailer while my husband is working out of town we can’t just leave it at the RV shop since they keep the rig for weeks when we’ve taking it in for other issues.
JoeJoeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:27 AM   #14
JoeJoeW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtflinger66 View Post
Well. At Camping World of Fresno,Ca they are replacing the shower walls and all the discoloration sealer on the sinks. 6-8 weeks for the shower but… they are replacing it all. Most have issues with their dealers but these guys are great!
Thank you we are from Fresno and I will definitely be calling camping world thank you for your information
JoeJoeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:14 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeW View Post
Hi yes we have a 2020 Keystone Outback and the shower walls are turning yellow from the top down, I put a cover in the sky light and it is still turning yellow, I don’t use anything on it to clean it so it’s not chemicals related, were uses squishy to wipe the water off and it’s not heat since there’s no heater vents in the bathroom. But it sure is frustrating and ugly to look at. Since we are living in our trailer while my husband is working out of town we can’t just leave it at the RV shop since they keep the rig for weeks when we’ve taking it in for other issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeW View Post
Thank you we are from Fresno and I will definitely be calling camping world thank you for your information
First, welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy the time you spend here and hope that it's beneficial to you....

That said, the posts to which you are responding are a year old and there are some SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT circumstances between that member's trailer and yours.....

His trailer was, at the time, less than one year old and still covered by the 1 year Keystone warranty. Additionally, he had an extended service warranty that was also in force at the time of his claim. Your trailer is currently 4 years old and there is no Keystone warranty. You didn't mention any extended warranty or service contract, so no way to address that.

Next, Keystone does not warranty any of the installed products in their trailers. During the first year, they "act as warranty administrator" and will process the documentation with the product manufacturer for you, the owner.

When Keystone processes a warranty claim during that first year, should the product manufacturer deny the warranty claim, then the repair costs are either absorbed by Keystone, the dealership or the claim is denied and the costs are your responsibility.

Your 4 year old trailer has no Keystone warranty, likely no shower wall product warranty and unless you purchased your trailer from Camping World, Fresno, they have no responsibility regarding your trailer warranty or repairs and likely will not work with you to attempt a "good will gesture warranty" on your trailer. Simply put, unless you are their customer, they have no responsibility to repair your trailer.

Good luck with your attempts at a warranty repair on your trailer, but hopefully you realize that this is an "extremely steep uphill battle".....

On the other hand, if you're looking for a place to pay for repairs to your trailer and are considering Camping World, Fresno based on the experience with that dealership found in this thread, hopefully the OP will address his experience and his satisfaction with their level of workmanship.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 06:36 PM   #16
Dirtflinger66

I just got notification that you replied. Yes they did cover it under my warranty and I still have the extended. I’m not sure of your situation with warranty. But I will say that the Camping world here in Fresno, Ca has been really good to us and the workmanship is good. They don’t really clean up after themselves as good as I would after working but that said it’s good work. They said that the glues and silicone that was used caused the yellowing. It’s was even around the countertops and they redid those as well. I hope that helps? Hope all is well.