Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2022, 06:57 AM   #1
seanrmz

winegard air 360 expectation?

Hello everyone, new owner 30Rls, I am leaving in a month from Montreal Canada, and going to Florida St Petersburg area for 1.5 to 2 months.

I have the winegard 360 but not the gateway yet. I been looking at the other options but they can get pricey. I know the site I am going to but it seems to be a foggy area when they say free wifi, yes free but give or take on the connection.

I am going to with the gate way and buy a sim card from T-mobile or Horizon 4g sim card with a pay as you go unlimited package.

How was your experience and if you have any other suggestions please chime in

thanks sean
Old 11-14-2022, 07:28 AM   #2
Max23

As it sits without anything, its just an amplified over the air tv antenna. With gateway, you can pick up free wifi in the area better with amplified signal. Adding the verizon card to my understanding will allow it to amplify any cell service. At least my buddy gets great service in hard to reach regular phone areas. My problem is, all that is sooo expensive. Im looking into just get a verizon puck for home internet. Unit is free but unlimited data for 25 month. Only thing is, not amplified so Ill still be screwed in low service areas. I am still on the fence so that is all just my 2cents worth. I'm insterested in others experiences as well.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
seanrmz

yes I know the 360 add's boosting reception but the gate way can also act as a hotspot wifi when adding a sim card to it. I know AT&T, or T-mobile and others have 34per month unlimited data plan 4g. SO we then can connect our smart tv or anything else and get internet
Old 11-14-2022, 08:02 AM   #4
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanrmz View Post
yes I know the 360 add's boosting reception but the gate way can also act as a hotspot wifi when adding a sim card to it. I know AT&T, or T-mobile and others have 34per month unlimited data plan 4g. SO we then can connect our smart tv or anything else and get internet
Agreed. That is how the winegard gateway works. However, the winegard plans I've lookded at from Verizon started at $60 per month for 100Gigs. The regular puck plans were $25 for unlimited. I don't understand that at all. Thats why I'm considering just the puck and unlimited plan. But again, that doesn't give the amplification of the signal. Maybe I just need to go talk to someone at verizon, I may be reading it wrong.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
dutchmensport

Just about 6 weeks ago I changed out my Rayzor television antenna for the Wingard 360. The shaft in the Rayzor broke, and this was the 3rd time. My local dealership RV parts department recommended the Wingard 360. I installed it and the over-the-air television is great!

About the gaterway?

We already had a different internet / wifi system in place, that so far has worked very, very well for us for the last 2 years.

We use Visible for our internet service. We picked up a ZTE cell phone ($78) that we use for Visible internet only. We also picked up a portable router WIFI that plugs into the phone so we can connect multiple devices (about $19). We could run 4 laptop computers, 2 Roku televisions streaming video, and an iPad all at the same time, for work (company supplied laptops), and for our own entertainment.

There were a few locations that ANY service was available. We also have AT&T phones with unlimited data (which they do throttle after about 100gigs or something like that). So we knew that some locations just had really, really poor reception.

Enter WeBoost! Yes, it was over $500 and a 1 time purchase, but it made all the difference in the world. Oh my gosh! If we are in a location that has only 1 bar, with WeBoost we can comfortably run streaming video on our Roku televisions without buffering. Turn off WeBoost and everything just freezes. So, it does work.

We've got our initial investments, and the only out-of-pocket expense now, is the $45 a month for Visible (we upgraded to 5g and we do not share with others to reduce the cost).

The WeBoost also boosts the AT&T phones and the WIFI with them too.

Anyway, it's something worth considering. Again, the initial cost may be a little, but in the end, the saving pays off over the long haul.

WeBoost - click here. You do not have to purchase through them. We purchased ours through Amazon, got it a bit cheaper.

Visible, click here.

i-Gnet router
Old 11-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #6
seanrmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Agreed. That is how the winegard gateway works. However, the winegard plans I've lookded at from Verizon started at $60 per month for 100Gigs. The regular puck plans were $25 for unlimited. I don't understand that at all. Thats why I'm considering just the puck and unlimited plan. But again, that doesn't give the amplification of the signal. Maybe I just need to go talk to someone at verizon, I may be reading it wrong.
ok max, I looked into getting a different company that the wnegard offers. I think its not much of a deal. To my understanding we can switch in the settings " choose a different carrier" and then we can slip a T-mobile pre payed sim card with 4g unlimited for 30days for 30$ give or take. Since I have the 360 kit on the roof I think I will get the gateway and try it out.
Old 11-14-2022, 06:11 PM   #7
meperea

Winegard Gateway-1000

We have the Gateway-1000 for our Winegard 360 and like how it works. We haven't installed or used a SIM card yet, but may once we start boondocking we'll be more motivated to investigate turning on a SIM card. Most of the campground WiFi where we've stayed has been somewhere between "OK" and sketchy. When it's sketchy I turn on the WiFi hotspot on my phone and have the Gateway connect to that. All our devices just stay connected to the Gateway so there is only one configuration point that I need to mess with. So far it's worked pretty well for us and Verizon doesn't charge extra for the hotspot under our current plan.
meperea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:36 AM   #8
RickV

I purchased the GW-1000 Gateway. It would need to be rebooted every few hours. I returned it and got a Verizon 8800l MiFi Hotspot works great. If you look around you can find refurbished ones for under $100.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:38 AM   #9
Javi

I used the Winegard 360+ and gateway for almost 2 years without any problems. However, most of the campgrounds we frequent have no wifi and cell service is spotty.
The system is better than nothing but I finally decided to go with Starlink RV and end the battle of providing the DW with her social media fix and her soap opera fix and football fix every time we get a chance to get away from my office.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:19 AM   #10
meperea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I purchased the GW-1000 Gateway. It would need to be rebooted every few hours. I returned it and got a Verizon 8800l MiFi Hotspot works great. If you look around you can find refurbished ones for under $100.
I've read that others have had that problem too. So far we've been lucky, so I'll keep fingers crossed.

I think this guy claims there is another product that can physically fit where the Winegard Gateway fits. I didn't pay much attention to that part of the video because, so far, we have no issues. It is a decent overview of different ways to solve the overall connectivity problem though.

https://youtu.be/n2W3NAL6uYo
meperea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:56 PM   #11
foldbak

I have the winegard 360 with the 1000 gateway and a T-Mobile data only plan with 100 gig per month for $50. As long as there is 4g signal it works great! So far the best and cheapest for me.

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:33 PM   #12
M&M2

We have the Gateway 1000 and added an ATT iPad SIM card to our existing data plan for $20/month. Satisfied with performance using it to stream with Fire and Apple TV. Winegard has a new version Osprey that I understand has better performance. At some point we’ll likely upgrade.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:22 PM   #13
RVGator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M2 View Post
We have the Gateway 1000 and added an ATT iPad SIM card to our existing data plan for $20/month. Satisfied with performance using it to stream with Fire and Apple TV. Winegard has a new version Osprey that I understand has better performance. At some point we’ll likely upgrade.
We did the same and it has worked for us with no issue. Would recommend.
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:03 AM   #14
seanrmz

thanks everyone. Just placed my order for the gateway. I will pick up a sim card once I get to Florida in Dec. I know the camp ground location is new and I am sure they have up to date service but we never know now a days. I am happy the 360 + is also has boosted reception so that also that makes things ease out.

thanks for everyone that chimed in