Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #1
Brantlyj

New camper inspection.

I’m looking at a new Sprinter 5th wheel. Just in the simple walk through to decide if I’m even interested I found over a half dozen things that would need to be fixed.
All of it is little stuff like loose trim or a USB charging ports pulled out of the wall. The only real item of concern is a cracked interior wall panel on the large slide.

At what point do you pass? If there is that many little things would that transfer into the larger things put together equally as poorly?
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #2
Canonman

I'm guessing this is the only one on the lot with the floorplan you want. If so, I'd let them know of your interest in the unit. Maybe talk with the GM if possible. Perhaps provide a "good faith" deposit against having ALL items properly repaired and the opportunity for them to do a thorough inspection by their service department prior to your next pre-sale inspection. Any fails after that and. I'd look elsewhere.
In short, give the dealer to make the unit ready for sale and if they don't they're probably not the right dealer.
Just my personal gripe, but it really boils me that dealers expect the owner to find all the flaws and fails in a new unit, bring it in for documentation, wait for the manufacturer's approval, wait for parts to be delivered and then the work gets scheduled. They are getting almost full MSRP these days. We should be getting an RV that's ready to use, fully inspected and prepared for delivery.
Apologizes for the rant
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-34.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	42295  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Let me give you a view from a tech that has been employed by different dealers with different philosophies.

One dealership did a pre PDI, and did all warranty found work before it hit the sales line. Upon sale, it got another quick once over and on to delivery.

One dealership didn’t do any warranty work until sold. ALL issues were addressed prior to delivery. The thought was if something was fixed and “claimed” and then got broken by a customer/kid it was then on the dealership.

You need to talk to your dealership GM, and establish your expectations. I can say that techs good and bad are in short supply, and it will affect the level of attention a new unit gets before delivery.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #4
Brantlyj

Yea, it’s a 2022, with campers it seems that MSRP is a fictional number as it is. So there was a discount on that, they also have the current price advertised as a year end discount plus we agreed to an additional $5000 off that price. So I feel like I’m getting a decent deal I hope. ��*♂️ $55,000 for a Sprinter 35BH

Since the interior wall had a crack I told them the deal was off if the exterior of the slide also was cracked.

I bought my current unit from them and they have treated me well. Hopping that continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'm guessing this is the only one on the lot with the floorplan you want. If so, I'd let them know of your interest in the unit. Maybe talk with the GM if possible. Perhaps provide a "good faith" deposit against having ALL items properly repaired and the opportunity for them to do a thorough inspection by their service department prior to your next pre-sale inspection. Any fails after that and. I'd look elsewhere.
In short, give the dealer to make the unit ready for sale and if they don't they're probably not the right dealer.
Just my personal gripe, but it really boils me that dealers expect the owner to find all the flaws and fails in a new unit, bring it in for documentation, wait for the manufacturer's approval, wait for parts to be delivered and then the work gets scheduled. They are getting almost full MSRP these days. We should be getting an RV that's ready to use, fully inspected and prepared for delivery.
Apologizes for the rant
Old 11-14-2022, 03:38 PM   #5
Brantlyj

This is a fix after the deal dealership. Which I’m ok with. I bought my current trailer from them and they have treated me well so I’m hoping that continues.

My current trailer needed nothing at delivery. This one will either need to stick around or brought back after the deal. I’m just worried that with the age of Covid campers that with this many minor things if there could be things unseen.
Maybe I’m overthinking things. 🤷*♂️

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Let me give you a view from a tech that has been employed by different dealers with different philosophies.

One dealership did a pre PDI, and did all warranty found work before it hit the sales line. Upon sale, it got another quick once over and on to delivery.

One dealership didn’t do any warranty work until sold. ALL issues were addressed prior to delivery. The thought was if something was fixed and “claimed” and then got broken by a customer/kid it was then on the dealership.

You need to talk to your dealership GM, and establish your expectations. I can say that techs good and bad are in short supply, and it will affect the level of attention a new unit gets before delivery.
Old 11-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #6
gearhead

Maybe get a RV Tech as an Inspector. Identify the as found issues and follow up after repairs.
Countryside RV east of Des Moines and north of Knoxville might be a place to start. They helped me out this last August for free. Probably will need to schedule them on Saturdays if they do it “on the side”.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote