Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #21
bsmith0404

Personally, I’d have a small pancake compressor available and a couple 5 gallon water containers ready. Growing up in northern Wisconsin, I can tell you there will be at least one cold snap where it doesn’t get above zero for a week and will have some -50 windchill nights. Nothing you do will keep water lines from freezing in those temps. If it was mine, when the weather was getting ready to turn that cold, I’d shut the water off to the RV, blow the lines out and use the bottled water.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:18 AM   #22
pasayten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
thanks..wonder how much draw on the batteries while traveling…i know the TV charges a little bit but if the tank heater draw is exceeding that i guess you could end up with dead batteries after a long trip
Smart shunt battery monitor will tell you battery draw... :-)

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 08:12 AM   #23
Rwake901

I have a 2019 Avalanche. In the brochure it lists the fresh water capacity as 66 gallons. It’s not, it’s only 40 gallon. When I called them about it they argue that it includes the capacity of the water heater too. Which is also not true. Because even if you add that it still doesn’t equal 66 gallon. So you can’t believe anything Keystone puts in their brochure. They will word their brochure’s to make it sound good but they are in fact deceiving the customer.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwake901 View Post
I have a 2019 Avalanche. In the brochure it lists the fresh water capacity as 66 gallons. It’s not, it’s only 40 gallon. When I called them about it they argue that it includes the capacity of the water heater too. Which is also not true. Because even if you add that it still doesn’t equal 66 gallon. So you can’t believe anything Keystone puts in their brochure. They will word their brochure’s to make it sound good but they are in fact deceiving the customer.
This subject has been discussed many, many times. So how are you measuring the capacity and determining it to be 66 gallons? If you used a water meter how did you determine that A. The tank was empty before filling and B. The tank is filled?

I ask because there are some possible reasons for a mis-understanding on the capacity. This is due to the design of the tanks that set in-between the frame rails. That requires a tank that's very shallow and long. If the camper is just slightly off level it can create an air pocket that will not allow you to fully fill it. A little bit out of level and while you think the tank is drained in reality it isn't. While Keystone's reputation may be in question from time to time I don't think they are "deceiving" on the capacity. The second consideration is the disclaimer in every publication that includes "subject to change without notice".
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:21 AM   #25
Rwake901

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
This subject has been discussed many, many times. So how are you measuring the capacity and determining it to be 66 gallons? If you used a water meter how did you determine that A. The tank was empty before filling and B. The tank is filled?

I ask because there are some possible reasons for a mis-understanding on the capacity. This is due to the design of the tanks that set in-between the frame rails. That requires a tank that's very shallow and long. If the camper is just slightly off level it can create an air pocket that will not allow you to fully fill it. A little bit out of level and while you think the tank is drained in reality it isn't. While Keystone's reputation may be in question from time to time I don't think they are "deceiving" on the capacity. The second consideration is the disclaimer in every publication that includes "subject to change without notice".
The brochure that Keystone printed states it has a 66 gallon water capacity. I leveled the coach fully drained the tank and refilled the water tank using two different water meters and it only holds 40 gallons. Which is a long way from the 66 gallons that Keystone claims it holds. I didn’t write this to argue about it I wrote it so the OP will understand that you can’t believe everything that Keystone puts in their brochure.
Rwake901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 10:28 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
The brochure that Keystone printed states it has a 66 gallon water capacity. I leveled the coach fully drained the tank and refilled the water tank using two different water meters and it only holds 40 gallons. Which is a long way from the 66 gallons that Keystone claims it holds. I didn’t write this to argue about it I wrote it so the OP will understand that you can’t believe everything that Keystone puts in their brochure.
Not looking for an argument, just trying to help explain why you may not see the full capacity. There are lot's of folks other than the OP reading these posts so it may help someone else understand or at least investigate why they may be seeing different results and not just assume that Keystone is being "decieving" in their publications.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:49 PM   #27
travelin texans

Quote:
They also state anything can change without notice! With as many changes as they make in each model year due to product availability or other reasons there's no possible way they could ever keep up with current offerings in their brochures.
If you want brochure BS they have models that are called Artic, Polar, 4 Season, & 1/2 ton towable, if you believe ANY of those I've got some ocean front property here in Arizona I'll sell you!
Then the truck manufacturers post the "max tow" ratings for their trucks that mean absolutely nothing in the rv world, so they also have deceptive sales information.
Name one product that doesn't pick one thing & really brag it up in an attempt to one up the competition whether it's useful to all or not.
It's called a "sales pitch"!
If that tank had water in it prior to your test & supposedly empty you could have ?? left in the tank + what's in the water heater.
The dealer filled the FW tank on my 5er for testing during our PDI, afterwards I immediately drained the tank as we typically connected to city water, for about 2 months very time I made a certain turn water ran out the drain, I guessimated it most likely still had about 5 gallons in it after it stops draining & finally quit running out while turning.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:55 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Not looking for an argument either but wanted to add some clarity to the highlighted statement. As far as "believing" what Keystone puts in their brochure I put that in the same category as believing what's in a travel brochure, car dealer brochure etc. The statements will be correct....in some form or fashion. The caveats have to be found by the potential customer investigating to see if what's important to them is actually there in his/her particular model from that brochure. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. In the case of the tank heaters it became pretty clear pretty quick there was some disparity in the descriptions between different Keystone descriptions which warrants investigation by the potential buyer. It can definitely be confusing but the definitive answer is there in the product the buyer is contemplating. In the end, if taking a brochure at face value without double checking then yes, don't believe what Keystone, or any other manufacturer, puts in a "brochure".
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:45 AM   #29
440scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smschroeder72 View Post
This is what it has I attached a photo
See post #15. Those are tank heaters and they are available in many sizes & configurations to fit your 3 holding tanks. Installation instructions say that the temp must be at least 50 degrees so that they will stick to the undersides of your tanks. The heaters shown draw 4.8 amps each so 2 heaters could go on one 12 volt lighted switch rated for at least 10 amps in the empty spot second row down, right side of your control panel shown in your pic. Or you can use a 3 switch junction box that aready comes with the switches and install it in your pass through storage. The switches should be available in that same search area of amazon. Those heaters have builtin automatic thermostats and considering how cold it gets in Minnesota, your camper will need all the help it can get to keep from freezing. Most 4 season rated campers are good to zero degrees but with that sideing you put up, you may be ok.
One other important thing: most so called 4 season campers have a heated under belly but I saw one with it's dump valves on the outside of the heated under belly! Thats a freeze up guaranteed to happen. Good luck.
440scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank