Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2022, 01:20 PM   #1
Harleyreb

BAL Accu-slide Roller Size?

I have a 2020 Keystone Cougar Half ton 27RES trailer. I want to add the rollers to the bottom of the slide,but need to know if I need the 1/2"or the 3/4" rollers. Not sure how to tell. Anyone?
Harleyreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:54 PM   #2
j.w.

I watched a video to tell me how to install the BAL rollers and they give a different way to measure for the correct roller size. Since I didn't want to jack up the slide twice, I brought the slide in about a foot. Then went to the edge of the slide that I had access to and measured the wear bar from that location.

The video can be found here:
Old 02-14-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
Harleyreb

Good video
Harleyreb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:47 AM   #4
j.w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyreb View Post
Good video
Thanks for the feedback. I watched this video several times before I installed the rollers. Install took about 45 minutes. Worked perfectly. The only thing the video does not specify is how many rollers to install. I originally started with 3 but then determined my slide was larger than the one shown in the video. But before installation I decided to get a 4th roller. A 5th wouldn't have hurt anything. My slide to 12 feet long. better to have too many than not enough.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:17 PM   #5
12racing

After roller installation did you notice if rollers are supporting the entire weight of slide. I was told that the rollers and wear bar work together but my wear bar doesn't touch slide out floor at all.
12racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:55 AM   #6
jxnbbl

Interested in these are these an accessory or part of the accu slide system. In looking at the BAL website it seems they should be part of the systems installed since 2020?
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 06:31 AM   #7
wrvond

How do you know how high to lift the slide? Or perhaps the better question is How do you know where to place the rollers vertically?

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 09:13 PM   #8
Jennifer Fuzion 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.w. View Post
The only thing the video does not specify is how many rollers to install. I originally started with 3 but then determined my slide was larger than the one shown in the video. But before installation I decided to get a 4th roller. A 5th wouldn't have hurt anything. My slide to 12 feet long. better to have too many than not enough.

Here is the recommendation from Bal on how many to install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ACCU-Slide-Roller-Installation-for-Crushed-Wear-Bear.pdf (204.5 KB, 442 views)
Jennifer Fuzion 414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:31 AM   #9
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
How do you know how high to lift the slide? Or perhaps the better question is How do you know where to place the rollers vertically?
I was wondering that, also, as I plan to add rollers next spring as I get the trailer ready for the season. (also plan to add some stainless sheets (1/16" ? ?) for them to roll on)

The pic is from the document that Jennifer Fuzion provided. Looks like, the way the roller assembly is shaped, it is a no brainer. The L-shape means that you drop it into place and screw it in. That would be why it is important to get the correct size roller for your rig.

Thanks for the document link, Jennifer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap 2022-10-27 at 07.19.17.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	42140  

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:28 AM   #10
Jennifer Fuzion 414

You’re very welcome Peanut.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:36 AM   #11
Jennifer Fuzion 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Yes as others have mentioned and Bals document shows, after you measure the wear bar height (bring your slide in a few feet and measure inside, you can see it) and order the appropriate roller, it’s L shaped bracket lays on the 90 degree edge. Some like some of the Lipperts just mount on the face with no ledge and how high would be a concern with those but the Bal’s are idiot proof. Measure your wear bar, don’t call Keystone with your vin for this information, they’ve given incorrect info in the past causing people to have to reorder the other size.

There are lots of YouTube videos on these brackets but only a few show using these with the 90 degree bracket that lays on the edge rather than just the face.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:38 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I was wondering that, also, as I plan to add rollers next spring as I get the trailer ready for the season. (also plan to add some stainless sheets (1/16" ? ?) for them to roll on)

The pic is from the document that Jennifer Fuzion provided. Looks like, the way the roller assembly is shaped, it is a no brainer. The L-shape means that you drop it into place and screw it in. That would be why it is important to get the correct size roller for your rig.

Thanks for the document link, Jennifer.

Just an fyi on the use of the SS; when this trailer went in for warranty work due to fraying darco Keystone's solution was to add SS strips on the bottom of the slide which gave me pause. I discussed using it with the SM at the dealership and several others. The unanimous consensus was to use uhmw - and we covered the entire bottoms of the slides with it. The uhmw is basically the same material as the wear bar and is made to run over it with very little resistance. It wears like steel but the corners/edges will run over the wear bar and not nick or cut it. SS can cause issues with the wear bar because the metal will damage it in the right circumstance. I've seen many use the uhmw and very few with the SS. It will work I'm sure but be aware of the possible ramifications and if you use it make sure it extends past the wear bar under the slide vs stopping in front of it and "ramping" up over it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide