Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
sgreene63

Towmax Tires

Hello everyone. From reading the archives it appears that there have been many issues concerning these tires. I recently had a my DSR tire blow out about 30 miles into the trip. Right now I am having my comp insurance coverage handle the damage to my trailer which was extensive. I was just curious if anyone has had any luck pushing back on the tire manufacturer for damages done by an exploding tire? From what I can tell, there have been numerous issues with these tires. I have a 2010 Alpine 3500.

Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
sgreene63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
smiller

I don't think you would have much luck there, about the best you're going to get is a replacement tire (the same as the one that failed in the first place. ) Also if you have a 2010 then your tires are probably at least three years old by the date code. A (very long) story short, replace all four tires with Maxxis and be done with it. It costs a little but as you already know not doing it can cost a lot.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
sgreene63

That is what I have been thinking as well. I am having the repairs done now and will have the one blown tire replaced with another Towmax most likely. My hopes are to replace all 5 with some GY G614s by spring. Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
smiller

I wouldn't put too many more miles on before you replace them. Nothing is more frustrating than to repair damage only to have another tire blow! DAMHIK...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
sgreene63

My season is about over for this year or I would go ahead and get the GYs. I possibly have one more short range trip which may not happen.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgreene63 View Post
Hello everyone. From reading the archives it appears that there have been many issues concerning these tires. I recently had a my DSR tire blow out about 30 miles into the trip. Right now I am having my comp insurance coverage handle the damage to my trailer which was extensive. I was just curious if anyone has had any luck pushing back on the tire manufacturer for damages done by an exploding tire? From what I can tell, there have been numerous issues with these tires. I have a 2010 Alpine 3500.

Thank you.

You’re pocket book is not going to like what I have to say here but the statistics support me.

First we need to see what Keystone has set your GAWR at. That information can be found on the trailers certification label located somewhere on the forward LH side of the trailer. I suspect it is 6750#. It could be 6850# or 7000# but I doubt it because of the TowMax tires. To use 6850# or 7000# GAWRs, Keystone would have to inform NHTSA via letter that they used 3520# tires on those GAWRs because the 3420# ST tire cannot be used with those figures.

You can see from a safety standpoint where I’m going with this. There are only three ST tires that can provide the load capacity you need for your GAWR. The current tires rated at 3520# or ST235/85R16E rated at 3640# at 80 psi or ST236/85R16F rated at 3960# at 95 psi.

The next and most popular option will almost certainly require a rim upgrade to withstand the 110 psi needed for the LT235/85R16G tires.

You’re in what I like to call the Keystone “catch-22. It crops up more often on keystone trailers than any other brand. Tires fitted - abiding by DOT regulations - with borderline load capacities. The ST tire NEEDS reserve load capacity. At least 12% above GAWR and preferably 15%. Trailer tires degrade faster than tires on our motorized vehicles. That’s because of the sit around time they are subjected to. Trailer tires, depending on how well they are maintained, can degrade as much as 7% in 3-4 years. That means somewhere along that path they lost the ability to support the trailer’s GAWR.

Bottom line; Get replacement tires that will provide the necessary load capacity to carry the loads placed on them throughout their life expectancy.

http://www.keystone-alpine.com/index...pecs&year=2010

CW
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
sgreene63

Thanks for the info CW. I believe that you are correct in what you're saying here. I noticed you made reference to a 235/85R16 in an F rating. Do you know of a tire manufacturer that sells this particular grade of tire? I've only seen the Load Range Es and the G614 Goodyears. I also believe that in order to put the GYs on my Alpine I will have to upgrade my rims. The max load stamped on the inside of the rim is 3,580 lbs. Very discouraged by this news. I was all set to put the Gs on it but now I can't unless a rim upgrade is included.

Also, does the chart at (http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf) mean that with a rim rated at 3,580lbs that I could use the G614 STR if only inflated to 100psi? Just curious.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
CWtheMan

Greenball advertises their Trnasmaster ST235/85R16F tires for 3858# at 90 psi.

http://www.greenball.com/products.php?products_id=9801

Carlisle Tire advertises their new Radial Trail RH ST235/85R16F for 3960# at 95 psi.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro...wables/tires43

There are more.

Unfortunately you are probably not going to be the only owner of that trailer. To maintain the status quo for vehicle overall safety you need to abide by the minimum safety standards for your rims. Vehicle manufacturers may use minimum requirements but they don’t go under them.

FastEagle
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
sgreene63

Based on this information you're suggesting to NOT using the G rated tire at the 100 psi? Just trying to be clear. Thanks CW.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
goingwest

Check your wheels again I bet they are rated for 110 psi. I just had mine off for the tire recall and to my surprise they are rated for 110 and I only have 6000 lbs axles. My Everest was one of the last ones before the name change.

Jerry
Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #11
sgreene63

I only see the max load in pounds @ 3,580lbs. I assume from that the they are rated for E tires. I'm trying to figure out if I could use the G rated tire and just not go to max air pressure. GY's website has a chart (referenced earlier) that indicates that the G614 at 100 psi falls below the max weight of 3,580lbs. I am not sure if that would work though.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
Azdryheat

I don't use ST tires. I have LT truck tires on my Everest and they work great. Most all ST tires come out of CHINA - is that who you can trust your trailer to? My Michelin LT's are USA made and are much better quality.

2008 Everest 305T
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote