Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2022, 02:21 AM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Hell fresh out high school the door or the wall of an rv would've been like an NFL quarterback & I was the linebacker, but that was 50 years ago, I now have difficulty with the key in the rv door.
I'm pretty beat up myself but my adrenalin glands still work. The egress was one of the many reasons we liked the layout of our unit. The front entrance door is literally next to the front bedroom door and the bunk house up against the bathroom which has an exterior door..

To the question on fire ext. Yes a 5 ABC is fine. There's limited space to mount anything larger. I've used a couple of them over the the years, never at home thankfully. They are pretty much useless IMO unless you catch a fire when it first ignights. Otherwise the time spent figuring out what direction it's pointing and getting the pin out is better spent in moving to the exit. Again, my opinion as I only had very limited training working at a corregated box mfg and they put me on the "fire brigade" when I was young.

I would not put one in a bunk house with small children. Just outside of the bunk house so you can get to them yes but not where they are. Do train children how the escape window works as it's a lot easier to explain before a fire vs screaming kids during a fire.9
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:33 AM   #22
CedarCreekWoody

In case you ever have to use a fire extinguisher remember to spray it at the base of the fire, not the flames. You have to kill the fuel.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:15 AM   #23
rlh1957

Can’t have too many fire extinguishers!

We have one in kitchen, by exit door, outdoor kitchen, on both sides inside bays.

Granted if fire were in these areas on an 5th Wheel, it might be more prudent to bail a let it go.
Rigs are not built with much fire resistant or retardant materials. Unless a fire is captured at the source as it starts it spreads uncontrollable in seconds and toxic gases are present… not too mention all the accelerants we carry on board with our belongings.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #24
takpak

fire extinguisher

We have three 5# ABC's. One at the door, next to the silly little one, a 5# in the bedroom, and one in the basement. We also installed more detectors. The original in the hallway, one in the bedroom, AND one in the basement. The basement is where all the propane, furnace, and electrical is, so figured we would want to be notified quickly if something happened down there. Only lesson learned......don't leave the access door open when having a campfire!! You find out the detector works really well!!!
2017 Montana 3810
2015 GMC SLT K3500 double cab, SRW, Duramax/Allison
takpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #25
heltzroth

I concur, with his statement. Call 911.
Retired Firefighter, 42 years
heltzroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #26
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by heltzroth View Post
I concur, with his statement. Call 911.
Retired Firefighter, 42 years
Yep, get the hell out and get away. If the fire is too big for a small extinguisher to put out, it’s too big to worry about. These things can take off like dry kindling. Best thing to do is grab what you can on the way out the door (truck keys) and get out, get away, and call 911.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Yup, get out. I keep my shorts and shoes next to the bed and extra set of keys locked in the truck. Everybody out then go notify the neighbors to get out. Then call 911 and move the truck.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote