Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2022, 03:25 PM   #1
HARLEEBB

Passport 229RK Hot Water or lack the of...

This is my maiden voyage in my brand new 2022 passport 229RK. I tried to get some hot water this morning with no luck. I initially tried the propane switch, that was on about 20 minutes and I realized I didn't have any hot water. I hooked up my generator and put the electric switch on and still got no hot water. I don't know what to do I called the service desk at the the place that I purchase the trailer and of course nobody has called me back, of course.I did make sure that the gas was, stove lights etc.

Help and thanks
HARLEEBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:44 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

To be clear, you have water flowing out of the hot side of the faucet but the temp isn't hot? Sounds like the bypass valve is still in bypass (winterized mode) and the water heater is empty. Engaging the electric heater while the tank is empty will burn out the electric heating element.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:49 PM   #3
HARLEEBB

Can you tell me where the bypass is? Nobody seems to be able to tell me and I'm not finding that in any of the books that I got with the trailer. Thank you thank you
Old 07-05-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
HARLEEBB

And yes sorry to reply to what you said I get water out of both sides cold and hot, just not hot water.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:28 PM   #5
HARLEEBB

I think I might have found it. I opened up the panel that's down near the outdoor shower. I was in there earlier I turned the bottom valve but that was not the right valve. About 4" above that is another valve I turned that. The problem is, I have no more water in my trailer. Not sure how I used 43 gallons of water because I haven't used much water at all. I don't know if I messed something up or not.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:21 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

It will be on the inside just on the otherside of the outside access panel. Do you know if started out with 43 gal. of fresh water? If you did then you have 43 gal of water in your gray and black tank now. If your pump is operating at 3 gpm it doesn’t take long to go thru the fw tank.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Sir, The hot water bypass is on the inside of your camper. Go to the outside and locate your water heater. If you are certain you have found it, on the inside of your trailer will be the backside of the water heater. There will be a panel with a couple Robertson (square head) screws. If these are removed you will see the back of your water heater.

Once there, note a red pex tube and a blue. The blue flows into your water heater and the red flows hot water out. Between the red and blue pex will be another tube with a valve or the valve will be on the side of the connecting tube on the blue side. This valve controls water going into the water heater. It will point to the direction that was will flow; either to the bypassing tube between the hot and cold water pex or allowing the cold water into the water heater.

This valve was put there to stop water from entering the water heater when the trailer is winterized as anti-freeze in the water heater isn't good.

Make sure you turn on your oven to ensure gas is flowing. If you do and you can light the stove, gas is getting to your water heater. There is a rocker switch on your control panel where the tank idiot lights are located. When you have ascertained there is water in the hot water tank by actuating the relief valve on the outside, click the water heater switch on the panel. Make sure you have water in the water heater tank else you will burn it up. There will be a red come on and if you listen carefully you may be able to hear clicking. This is the igniter and when it lights the pilot in the water heater, the light goes out. I am pretty sure you need to have 12V power in your camper for this to work such as a charged battery. The electric is a heating element in the tank. Not sure what type water heater you have or how the electric is actuated. Best to plug your camper into shore power to keep the battery up or put a charger on it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:54 PM   #8
HARLEEBB

Well 1st of all I'm a lady lol. Anyhow yes I made sure that the stove worked prior to me even trying the propane switch this morning. I did have a small trailer prior to this one. I opened that panel next to the bed over where the water heater is and I don't see anything that has a valve on it. Maybe iissed it, anyhow I see the heater, it's wrapped. Outsede, down below, where the outdoor shower is there are 2 valves. I tried one earlier and that wasn't it. I did try the second valve, however, I have since ran out of water. So I'm not sure if that's the valve or not. I appreciate your help I assume eventually I will figure this out. I did call the service department but of course they didn't think to call me back today...
Old 07-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #9
HARLEEBB

All my tanks are showing empty, fresh water, black water and Gray water. It's a miracle! You know how these monitors work so good!
Old 07-05-2022, 07:29 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Those two valves you found under the trailer are probably the low point drains. Their function is to empty all the water out of the plumbing system before winterizing. They should be closed so you can pressurize the trailer plumbing with the pump or city water.

This is a photo of the suburban water heater. Note the rocker switch in the lower left corner. It is the "safety switch for the electric heating element". It is installed upside down, to pushing the top turns it OFF and pushing the bottom turns it ON.... I know, confusing, but you can thank Suburban for that build...

Also, here's a photo of the back of your water heater. Note the valve at the lower water inlet (cold inlet). There is also a one way valve at the hot water outlet, but it should work "automatically" with no manipulation from you.

On some trailers, there is a second valve behind the water heater. It's located in the vertical tube between the hot and cold fittings on the water heater.

Make sure the handle on the lower valve is "pointing toward the trailer water supply, not toward the vertical tube.

I've included a third photo showing how one water heater bypass was installed. If you notice, the valve is on the "inside bottom of the vertical tubing" and is extremely difficult to see and nearly "impossible" to reach.... So, keep looking, it's there !!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER HEATER BYPASS.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	40593   Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER HEATER SWITCH.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	40594   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH BYPASS.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	40595  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 07:37 PM   #11
HARLEEBB

So was that why all of a sudden 43 gallons of water seemed to disappear? I used barely any water over the last couple of days took a 5 minute shower today, barely any water and all of a sudden I had no water left. Did I inadvertently drain all my water turning that valve today? I didn't see any water coming out anywhere..I need a drink.
Old 07-05-2022, 08:07 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

It's possible.... I'd think you'd see a wet spot under the trailer if 43 gallons "seeped out unexpectedly"... When you're peeking under there next time, there is also a drain under the fresh water tank, so make sure it's closed as well.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #13
Gkri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEEBB View Post
Can you tell me where the bypass is? Nobody seems to be able to tell me and I'm not finding that in any of the books that I got with the trailer. Thank you thank you
we have the prototype of the 229RK (221ML). in the passthrough where the water fill is located there should be a white plastic panel to the right with four screws. The by-pass is behind that panel. you need to open the feed valve to the hot water heater and close the by-pass valve. Once you get water, hold open the brass pressure relief valve to verify water is flowing into the hot water heater. But you may have to drain it and replace the heating element if you operated the electric element without water. Disconnect the wires and use an ohm meter to see if it is "open" meaning no continuity/open circuit.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 01:01 PM   #14
HARLEEBB

I just wanted everyone to know I finally got this fixed. Outside on the hot water panel there is one wire that has a safety fuse inbetweet 2 wires. The tech had me remove the safety fuse. He said it was bad. Then I took the other end of the wire and plugged it directly into the wall and the heater started up right away. Here is a picture in case you are ever faced with an issue. Now I just need to buy some extra fuses, in the meantime, I can run the heater cautiously.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:02 PM   #15
HARLEEBB

And thank you all for responding I appreciate all the help.

Tags
passport, water