Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2022, 09:25 AM   #21
TurtleB52

Thanks again y'all for more advice. Bamabox your thought is one of our major concerns about the weight issue and you can feel the floor flex when the slide is in. I just keep telling myself if the floor wouldn't support two recliners/loveseat I guess they wouldn't come from the factory with them already. I just know as much as we paid for this camper we're gonna be comfortable when we're in it. And trying to get that from the dinette ain't happening. Keeping our fingers crossed that we'll be ok.
TurtleB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:18 PM   #22
chuckster57
Site Team

Most slide floor feel spongy and flexible because when they are retracted there is NO support on the leading edge. Cable and schwintek slides are the exception, and it’s not a good idea to walk on the slide floor if it’s retracted.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:36 PM   #23
Life-in-Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
Just a though here……………we have a 2017 21RBS, essentially the same unit you have. I remember reading somewhere in the owners manual to never stand or walk on the slide when it’s in, because it’s not supported and flexing it can cause issues. And it is true btw, when the slide is in, it’s above the floor by 1/2-3/4”. Having closely inspected the construction of the “dinette” seating area, the cheap flimsy wood they used for framing, I’ll bet the entire “dinette” doesn’t weigh more than 30 lbs, if that. The heaviest part is the table top and metal legs, which we always remove and lay on the bed when towing. So I’m suggesting some caution in putting a couple 75-100 lb each recliners on the slide and bouncing down the road, if Keystone’s warning is in fact correct.
Slide floor when in is very flimsy & sits about 3/4" off the main floor.
Because of the floor plan of the cougar 26rbswe keeping access from bathroom to kitchen out of us we do 2 things when traveling:
1 we tie the bathroom door open.
2. CRITICAL! I made a 4" wide x 3/4" thick & 10' long support that slides under the slide floor lip.
This keeps from flexing the slide floor edge so we can get from front door thru bathroom to kitchen & rear door.

Do not walk on the slide floor edge, as Keystone says, it will be destroyed very quickly.
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:44 AM   #24
spicercars

We just bought a couple of recliners from menards for our camper and they are very comfy. They where lane brand and we have had good luck with them in the past.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:03 AM   #25
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Every camper I've owned, I've added these eyelets to the floor to help secure things when in transit. These are hangers for picture frames. I find them at Wall Mart where the picture frames are located. They are incredible strong and almost identical to the ones installed on the floor from the factory. In install them with 3/4 inch#6 dry wall screws. Very strong course threaded screw and very short so won't go through and hurt anything under the slides.

The one in the photo below is not installed with a dry wall screw. It was one of the first ones I tried years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
We have never strapped chairs down, never had them move.
Well don't know what roads many of you drive on or how your trailer rides, but we never strapped down chairs. This includes the free standing chairs at our dining table. We simply slid them tight to the table base. Ours is a rear kitchen, so table and chairs near the rear.
I will say we worked to smooth the ride of the 5er, we got it to tow level and added shocks to the 5er.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #26
CBRV

We replaced the dinette in our 2017 Keystone Cougar 21RBS 3 years ago with 2 manual RecPro recliners with a console between. While a non-rv manufacturer is probably better built, it is also much heavier, which was a definite consideration for us. We chose the lighter rv version and have been quite happy with our decision.
Using RecPro, they had all the size possibilities that various rvs might need, including consideration for slide-out depth, if that's where you're putting it, and they came with the back section removed to get it in the narrow rv door. We'd definitely go the rv store way again.
CBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:40 PM   #27
P&DZ

For the folks who responded with 21RBS and 22RBS TT's who have done the dinette to recliner modification I would love to see some pictures. I have been thinking about doing the same. I am concerned about removing the bench seats on either side of the dinette and I would prefer not to lose the outside storage area under the bench seat on the outer wall.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 07:26 AM   #28
ljdriscoll

Lots of good info. Does anyone have suggestions as to manufacturer regarding Quality, Weight and cost? Looking to replace the rocking chairs in my slideout.

2014 Cougar 33RES
2020 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 V8
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:01 AM   #29
Bamabox

For those with 21 and 22 RBS’s like ours, I just don’t know where we would sit and eat, play cards, use our laptops etc, if we had 2 recliners instead of the dinette. When we want to stretch out a bit we just have a bunch of nice sofa pillows we put in the back corners and put our backs up against them, legs out on the seat. Facing the tv and kitchen. Pretty comfy actually.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote