Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2022, 05:58 AM   #1
sahively

Early spring camping -- freezing temps

We're planning a late-March and early- April trip in northern Idaho with no hookups. Tough to say where temps will be but it's likely that lows will land just below freezing for a couple hours.

Wondering, do Hideout models blow warm furnace air down into their covered underbellies? The dealer said its fine and that the tanks will remain warm enough but...I've come to trust very little my local dealers say over the years. We want to fill it with water before we leave since the campsites won't have turned their water on yet at the sites.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
curtiscapk

Without knowing your specific model I would think if its ducted heat you're good. you might put your model and pertinent info in your signature....
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:21 AM   #3
sahively

Thanks, she's a 2021 28BHSWE.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:28 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

The Hideout line is an "entry level trailer" with few of the more expensive features that are found in more expensive trailer lines.

Early Hideout trailers (2010-2018/2019) were missing many of the "arctic package/polar package" features. Through the years, improvements have been made, but without knowing even what year your trailer might be, it's impossible to suggest whether it may simply have a cosmetic DARCO wrap to close the underside or whether it may have some insulation, possibly a layer of "mylar bubble wrap" or more extensive "cold weather capabiity"...

Nearly any trailer with a furnace is capable of staying comfortable at/near freezing, provided there is enough propane and enough battery power to run the furnace...

You say that you're going to be "dry camping" on this trip. I'd suspect that battery power will be far more a limiting factor than whether the trailer will stay warm based on insulation. Simply put, with a GP24 battery, your furnace won't run all night. With a couple of GP27's, you might be OK, with a generator, you can extend the power source and improve your comfort. It's more about battery power than about trailer build in a newer Hideout, although there are limits and you can fully expect the furnace to run "almost constantly". That won't happen without sufficient battery power/converter power and full propane tanks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 06:33 AM   #5
sahively

Thanks JRTJH, I'm a bit of an RV upgrade freak so power isn't a concern. I've upgraded the batteries and will have 200 watts of solar as well as a generator so we're all good on that front. Really appreciate the perspective though!

My trailer's a 2021. The belly is all that black plasticky cardboard (I think that's DARCO right?) stuff but I have no idea what's behind it.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:30 AM   #6
sahively

One more thing I'll mention. My 2021 model does have a Keystone "Cold Mountain Package" but I always assumed this was more marketing nonsense than anything useful (despite my salesman saying it means I can camp year round without concern! LOL).
Old 01-31-2022, 07:50 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahively View Post
Thanks JRTJH, I'm a bit of an RV upgrade freak so power isn't a concern. I've upgraded the batteries and will have 200 watts of solar as well as a generator so we're all good on that front. Really appreciate the perspective though!

My trailer's a 2021. The belly is all that black plasticky cardboard (I think that's DARCO right?) stuff but I have no idea what's behind it.
DARCO is a black "tarp like vinyl fabric" (similar to cheap blue plastic tarps)

COROPLAST (corrugated plastic) is the more robust, plastic material commonly used as a final bottom layer. It is similar to "corrugated cardboard" in appearance. If the edges are sealed, the small square tubes will act as a thermal barrier (think vacuum bottle/thermos bottle) but if the ends of the square tubes are not sealed, there's no "dead air space" so the only thermal barrier your COROPLAST will provide is the physical thickness of the top/bottom plastic, because air and moisture will flow through the squares, absorbing the heat from above the layer. Only with the ends sealed do you have "static air to help insulate the COROPLAST"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:45 AM   #8
sahively

Well I learned something. It's definitely Coroplast then. Our previous Salem trailer had the tarp-like Darco stuff. So it sounds like I may be alright as long as the furnace is on and we're just flirting with freezing and not going into some crazy single digits or anything.

Appreciate the help, all!
Old 01-31-2022, 10:01 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
One more thing I'll mention. My 2021 model does have a Keystone "Cold Mountain Package" but I always assumed this was more marketing nonsense than anything useful (despite my salesman saying it means I can camp year round without concern! LOL).
Cold Mountain Package? Another brilliant Keystone innovation (use of buzz words).

My first question is whether the package works at sea level or only on some isolated wintery mountain top? We have artic, four seasons, and who knows how many neat terms and zero explanation on the Keystone website for the Cold Mountain Package. I bet a call to your dealer will find them just as confused.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:41 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
We're planning a late-March and early- April trip in northern Idaho with no hookups. Tough to say where temps will be but it's likely that lows will land just below freezing for a couple hours.

Wondering, do Hideout models blow warm furnace air down into their covered underbellies? The dealer said its fine and that the tanks will remain warm enough but...I've come to trust very little my local dealers say over the years. We want to fill it with water before we leave since the campsites won't have turned their water on yet at the sites.
I’d probably take an extra propane bottle just in case…the furnace may go thru what you have quickly
Old 02-02-2022, 12:22 PM   #11
MarkEHansen

As far as keeping water lines and holding tanks from freezing, I believe that if the temp is going below freezing only for a short time over night and is expected back above freezing during the day, this isn't much of a concern. I would disconnect the city water hose (which I guess won't apply in this case).