Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2022, 12:58 PM   #21
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My sis has a Ram 3/4 ton Laramie and her payload is barely over 2000 lbs. Not sure why folks want to buy a new 3/4 ton unless it has a much better payload. Some are just north of 3K lbs and I would look there if I had to have a 3/4 ton but the one ton does away with the payload question for this OP.
I do agree but he already owns a 250.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:12 AM   #22
captainbillyw69

I’ve been towing a 26 foot TT with slide out for 16 years with a Dodge 1500 5.7 with towing package.
The truck has 185,000 miles. We’ve been over 12 000 foot pass & down some steep grades. Engine & transmission still work great; lots of power.
captainbillyw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:29 AM   #23
Ddaddyo

Always go with the Bigger Truck, you won't be Disappointed.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:31 AM   #24
Montanapaddler

Based on the heavier weight of your F250 it should be less susceptible to the affect of semis passing you and crosswinds when towing. I went through a similar decision making process recently when we traded a 21’ Jayco for a 24’ Cougar trailer. Our 2014 Tundra was within 20 lbs of its rated payload capacity with the trailer empty. We purchased the trailer 300 miles from our home due to the model we wanted not being available locally.

The dry hutch weight was 640 lbs and other than the WDH (equalizer with sway control), propane, two batteries and a duffel bag for clothes the Tundra struggled.

I’ve since replaced with a 3/4 ton diesel for a tow vehicle.

Using your F250 will also remove having to worry about payload or other things when planning a trip.

Of course everyone has an opinion about their tow vehicle and experiences.
Montanapaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #25
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainbillyw69 View Post
I’ve been towing a 26 foot TT with slide out for 16 years with a Dodge 1500 5.7 with towing package.
The truck has 185,000 miles. We’ve been over 12 000 foot pass & down some steep grades. Engine & transmission still work great; lots of power.
Power & "towing" ability aren't the issue.
The concern is can you/are you safely/legally within the "carrying" capacities of a 1/2 truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:18 PM   #26
crowbar

Hi Bob. Looks to me that you're in a good situation here. Your new trailer may be too heavy for your 150, but not necessarily. Although your gvw is 7200, you may not load it up to that weight in the first place which would lower your gvw on the whole unit as well as your hitch weight. The benefit you have in this situation is that you have a bigger truck if you need it. You said you were picking it up with the 150 so when you do bring it home, you'll have a feel for how it tows. Then load the whole thing up with your gear, take it to the scale and if you're too heavy, switch trucks. If not, you can sell your 250.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #27
NRaynor

Don’t forget a. 10% margin of safety !
NRaynor is offline   Reply With Quote