Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2022, 06:49 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

A/C quandry

At the San Antonio RV show I looked at the Alliance Avenue 30RLS. Found it odd that it had two 13.5K btu A/C units (one bedroom and one cabin) and no ducting. Sales guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and told me these were the (Dometic I think) Quiet series units and they used these because cooling is much more effective without ducting and the 13.5K units were more than up to the task. He also mention you could run them at the same time on a 30A connection since they only drew 10A each. Could this be right? Guy walked in and said he had been in a camper with the "Quiet" series A/C running and it wasn't that quiet. Does this explanation I received sound right. Could not find a "Quiet" series Dometic A/C unit so not able to check the facts.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:03 AM   #2
Village Idiot

https://www.airxcel.com/rv/coleman-m...e-quiet-series

This may but what was installed. I have one (ducted 15K) on my rig and it is definitely quieter than the one in my old TT, but it was 6 years old.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:09 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
At the San Antonio RV show I looked at the Alliance Avenue 30RLS. Found it odd that it had two 13.5K btu A/C units (one bedroom and one cabin) and no ducting. Sales guy seemed pretty knowledgeable and told me these were the (Dometic I think) Quiet series units and they used these because cooling is much more effective without ducting and the 13.5K units were more than up to the task. He also mention you could run them at the same time on a 30A connection since they only drew 10A each. Could this be right? Guy walked in and said he had been in a camper with the "Quiet" series A/C running and it wasn't that quiet. Does this explanation I received sound right. Could not find a "Quiet" series Dometic A/C unit so not able to check the facts.

George, no ducting as in there were no ducts where the A/C was or no ducts in the RV at all? I have the Dometic Whisper Quiet and it does not look like a conventional A/C; it just has 2 intake vents in the ceiling but then vents through the small ceiling ducts - is that what it was? Ours is much more quiet than a normal A/C and works well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Maybe they eliminated the ductwork and added more insulation…allows for the smaller ac units…
Could also be from the material shortage ..maybe it’s harder to find the 15 k units

Sheet metal shortage also https://www.rvtravel.com/sheet-metal...g-stuff-1024b/
Old 01-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
travelin texans

Let's see!
An rv salesman with their lips moving?
Yep you could probably tow it with a Ford Ranger also if asked!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 12:16 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Let's see!
An rv salesman with their lips moving?
Yep you could probably tow it with a Ford Ranger also if asked!

The guy was fairly knowledgeable. I can't say if the A/C units were Coleman or Dometic but there was no ducting in the trailer. Both just blew down like a Dometic Quick Cool mode on my Brisk II. No sure if this was a 30A or 50A camper, he said both the A/C units could be run on a 30A pedestal outlet and the lack of ducting increased cooling. The camper also had Azdel sidewalls and a PVC lifetime roof. Their website doesn't make any insulation claims and not sure how that Azdel material would play into insulating the trailer.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
GHen

I totally agree, NEVER trust an rv sales person.
Make the determination if it’s quiet or not yourself. There are lots of apps that will record the decibel level of sound, use one if you need to.
I have one 15k btu ducted A/C and have never needed another, but it depends when and where you spend the summer. Low humidity in the W and SW is your friend.
We did add a maxifan and that cools down the rig very quickly. But then again if its 90 at midnight with 90% you probably want a second. We have not been in that kind of weather yet. Rather spend that time in the home pool.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 07:38 PM   #8
Roper46

The second A/C is a definite must in the south. I hate camping with all the humidity, but something you learn to live with. I also love camping in the south during the fall and winter without the humidity and bugs.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote