Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2021, 06:06 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Nicest state roads in the country.

Just got back from a rush trip to Illinois. First time east in a long while. Have to say I was very impressed with the quality and the maintenance of the KS roads system. On the way out I had to make tracks so used I70 from the Colorado border to Kansas City. Did not realize there would be tolls on the interstate. BUT, the nicest portion, best kept and smoothest, was the toll section of I70. Cost all of 3.50 to use and looked like all the money went to road upkeep. On the way back used US36 up north and then down south to Salina and then KS 96 all the way back to Colorado. The roads were so well maintained that there was really no difference in time from using the Interstate. What smooth, well kept roads! You knew immediately when you were out of Kansas. MO. and CO do not hold a candle to KS. I want the state of Colorado to hire whoever is in charge of KS roads and bring them here. KS has half the population of MO and a little more than half the population of CO and yet they have enough resources to have beautifully maintained roads. Weeds cut down along the highways, never experienced a major pot hole. Hats off to the KS Highway Department.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
gearhead

We just returned yesterday from a midwest trip. Went up I35 out of Dallas to near Des Moines Iowa, then to Springfield Illinois. We had some bad roads somewhere but it's all a blur in my old brain. What did strike me was how the farmers kept the ditches mowed and clean. I saw several farm women on small tractors out mowing their ditches and "turning rows".
I'm about ready to move to Pella Iowa. Cleanest, nicest little town I can remember being in. Settled by Dutch before the Civil War with a functioning windmill downtown. Small private college, restored homes, new homes and clean clean clean. Home of Pella windows and Vermeer farm implements. Population 10,300.
I'd likely have a different opinion in January.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
BigBobIa

Was in Pella 4 hours ago. Bought Jerky from Ulriche’s and pastries next door. Both in the south side of the square.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:39 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Oregon's highway/freeway is not too bad but could be much better. About 42% of the state gas/fuel tax collected now goes into road maintenance. The rest into cleaning out homeless camps, planting trees and brush the homeless remove. Also bike paths and other non vehicle use take up the rest.. Heck they wasted 39 million in 10 years to study replacing the I-5 Columbia River bridge. That bridge has 4 lanes and has been listed at max. vehicle use for decades. Some of the sticking points were no added traffic lanes, but added bike and light rail lanes.
Problem with working for the state you see 1st hand wasteful spending most places you look.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBobIa View Post
Was in Pella 4 hours ago. Bought Jerky from Ulriche’s and pastries next door. Both in the south side of the square.
We were in Knoxville for the Sprint Car Nationals, decided to ride around and sight see. Ended up in Pella, WalMart shopping, and eating at Applebys. I asked Betty if she saw a carwash nearby; yes, we're right at it. Well I'm not seeing it. Google says we are right at it. I saw a building with garage doors on it, a sign in a language I didn't understand, then saw headlights behind the garage doors. Drove around the other side and yes it was a car wash. I just wanted a do it yourself style but this was a drive through automatic wash. Yes a dually fit in it, a first for me. Pretty good wash. Never seen a car wash with doors. I assume it's for freeze protection?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote