Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #1
bluenoserv

making use of electrical wiring

We are updating our new-to-us 2003 Springdale 247 to suit our travel style. We have removed the stove and oven, an older and very heavy microwave, and now the vent. I expect to do very little cooking inside. The kitchen is adjacent to the bathroom where we have installed a new MaxxAir roof vent and figured it will be sufficient. Can I use the wiring from the overhead vent to install a plug on the kitchen counter? As we are renovating and painting, I'd like to do it sooner than later.
bluenoserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

What "overhead vent wire" are you refrencing? If it's for a vent fan then I'd assume it's a 12 vdc circuit. If you desire a 120 vac outlet then it won't work.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:24 AM   #3
Gkri

Once you verify it is 120 V, you need to check the wire AWG, 14 gauge is typically white Romex and rated 15 Amp. Yellow is used for 12 gauge and rated to 20 Amp but never exceed the breaker rating. Also add up your wattage, listed on the appliances and divide by the measured incoming voltage, this will be the total amp draw for the circuit. Connected load should not exceed the breaker rating.
Gkri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
bluenoserv

wiring

Thank you for replying and for the explanation. A further search gave me the manual for the range hood that was installed (one of the only missing in the file when we purchased the trailer) and it is a 12-volt circuit so it may not be as helpful as I'd hoped. Just didn't want to skip the chance to make use of it while I could. I will still install a plug but with instructions on what can be used. Always need reminders that we aren't at home.
bluenoserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Typically, in trailers and fifth wheels, any "single strand wiring" will be for 12 VDC electrical purposes and any ROMEX will be for 120VAC electrical components....

I can't recall on trailers built after about 2005 or so, any "single strand 120VAC wiring except for "within 8-10 inches of the appliance. Otherwise, all the 120VAC stuff is all ROMEX. Also, ROMEX is not used for 12VDC distribution...

So, if you see single strand wiring runs, it's almost always going to be for "battery powered stuff" and if you see ROMEX wiring runs, it's going to be for stuff that will only operate on shore power or a generator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, wiring