Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2021, 05:24 AM   #1
JGCyber3

Carbon 35

Recap of my situ: I've had a weekend warrior 2800 since 2012, trading in Friday for a Carbon 35...bought the first one used, this one new....bit steep on the $'s if you factor in we only go camping 2-3 times per year, but wife wanted an upgrade....stuck with the toy hauler model because I have lots of KTM's (street and dirt)...and stuck with bumper pull because I have a CyberTruck on order...current rig is a 16 GMC 2500 Duramax - pulled my WW2800 (12,900lbs loaded) perfectly and the new one is + 100lbs fully loaded.

Havent received yet but general observations from crawling all over it - a lot has changed in the last 10 years, but a lot has stayed the same....observations / questions:

- WTF with no ladder to roof? Roof walkable?
- Why no option for an air compressor on a "toy hauler"? Anyone mount an automotive one with any success?
- Garage wall storage? Gladiator or ?? Sufficient framing to mount?
- Garage Dirtbike solution? - looking at boltiton.com - seems pretty solid, but open to other ideas - carbon 35 bit trickier than my other trailer because garage has a door on front and side
- website says solar ready -but apparently only on roof and no solar controller so guessing there's just a plug on the roof for a small panel to trickle the batteries?
- Is there a place for ****ter hose anywhere?
- am I correct that I can use a thermal / IR temp gun to find aluminum studs?
- thinking of using bbq cover to cover front of trailer during storage - eg cover hitch/chains/etc up front from just fading / rusting for no reason - havent found anything specific that looks promising so bbq cover seemed legit?
-- rear view camera worth it? eg it's prewired so like $800 installed...never had so not sure needed but seems useful
- any other tips / tricks specific to toy hauler models?

Next trip planned 2 weeks out so prep underway..hoping not too many startup probs....
JGCyber3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #2
JGCyber3

so pickup tomorrow..it was prewired for rear camera - so having that + fuel cutoff valve on Generator + 20w go power solar for battery trickle charge installed prior to pickup.....good times
Old 07-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #3
Stacyismetoo

OMG! I’m jealous…I wanted the 35 but we ended up going with the 36 for the second bathroom. But so far we haven’t had it out anywhere because the tongue weight exceeds our current WD hitch and receiver and they are on back order. So I’ve just been “playing” with my new toy in the drive way…lol. My initial thoughts is it’s very nice but we’re having our trim fall off constantly around the doors, couldn’t find the solar…verified with the factory that our unit was not ordered pre-wired for solar, so no solar. Generator runs great, here is a tip though, if you run the gen on a load, be sure to NOT shut it off until after you have run without a load for at least 5 minutes or you’ll flood it and smell fuel for hours after shut off. My fridge isn’t the 3 way unit so I was super disappointed it didn’t come with the upgraded fridge being a “premium unit” as keystone calls it, so I can run 12v power. My battery disconnect in the Giggy box doesn’t work. Yup no ladder so I have no idea of the roof is walkable. We took a look at the back up camera stuff but haven’t done it yet.
Will be having a 50 amp service install at the house so I can plug into shore power without reducers or extension cords. Our old trailer wasn’t a toy hauler so now I’m trying to figure out storage ideas for the stuff in the garage area without it just all laying in the floor. We have a Milwaukee portable air compressor we take with us so that stays in the truck most the time.
Oh and the dealer lost the dinette table that goes in the garage. Since we had the trailer delivered from TX to NV they had to order one from the factory and have it shipped.
So far I’m happy with it. No mechanical failures yet other then the battery disconnect. I thought my awing broke, turned out our excessive heat made it melt to itself and it was just stuck.
RV’er since 2000!
Stacyismetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGCyber3 View Post
Recap of my situ: I've had a weekend warrior 2800 since 2012, trading in Friday for a Carbon 35...bought the first one used, this one new....bit steep on the $'s if you factor in we only go camping 2-3 times per year, but wife wanted an upgrade....stuck with the toy hauler model because I have lots of KTM's (street and dirt)...and stuck with bumper pull because I have a CyberTruck on order...current rig is a 16 GMC 2500 Duramax - pulled my WW2800 (12,900lbs loaded) perfectly and the new one is + 100lbs fully loaded.

Havent received yet but general observations from crawling all over it - a lot has changed in the last 10 years, but a lot has stayed the same....observations / questions:

- WTF with no ladder to roof? Roof walkable?
- Why no option for an air compressor on a "toy hauler"? Anyone mount an automotive one with any success?
- Garage wall storage? Gladiator or ?? Sufficient framing to mount?
- Garage Dirtbike solution? - looking at boltiton.com - seems pretty solid, but open to other ideas - carbon 35 bit trickier than my other trailer because garage has a door on front and side
- website says solar ready -but apparently only on roof and no solar controller so guessing there's just a plug on the roof for a small panel to trickle the batteries?
- Is there a place for ****ter hose anywhere?
- am I correct that I can use a thermal / IR temp gun to find aluminum studs?
- thinking of using bbq cover to cover front of trailer during storage - eg cover hitch/chains/etc up front from just fading / rusting for no reason - havent found anything specific that looks promising so bbq cover seemed legit?
-- rear view camera worth it? eg it's prewired so like $800 installed...never had so not sure needed but seems useful
- any other tips / tricks specific to toy hauler models?

Next trip planned 2 weeks out so prep underway..hoping not too many startup probs....
That style trailer usually the ladder goes on the side and collapses against the trailer.
The camera is worth every penny. I use mine if the trailer is moving.
I cant speak to the construction questions because I do not have a toyhauler.
Happy Camping.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
JGCyber3

OMG! I’m jealous…I wanted the 35 but we ended up going with the 36 for the second bathroom.
--I was torn but the dealer only having a 35 made the decision

But so far we haven’t had it out anywhere because the tongue weight exceeds our current WD hitch and receiver and they are on back order.
-- dealer put a blue ox on mine - seem legit, although old chain style

So I’ve just been “playing” with my new toy in the drive way…lol.
--I just spent last 48 hours doing same and getting stuff moved in....until HOA started giving me ****

My initial thoughts is it’s very nice but we’re having our trim fall off constantly around the doors
--not yet but its coming im sure

couldn’t find the solar…verified with the factory that our unit was not ordered pre-wired for solar, so no solar.
--see above post, I paid for 20w panel so could trickle the batt during storage...got there at pickup and they couldn't find the solar either...they could find the 2 roof connectors - but that's it, lol....said skip it for now but document it as part of check in

Generator runs great, here is a tip though, if you run the gen on a load, be sure to NOT shut it off until after you have run without a load for at least 5 minutes or you’ll flood it and smell fuel for hours after shut off.
--noted, ty

My fridge isn’t the 3 way unit so I was super disappointed it didn’t come with the upgraded fridge being a “premium unit” as keystone calls it, so I can run 12v power.
--mine is a Norcold unit - gas or elec, not sure if 3 way

My battery disconnect in the Giggy box doesn’t work.
--neither does mine - on the list to fix

Yup no ladder so I have no idea of the roof is walkable
--I asked, my dealer said it is not, but I'd still ask for second opinion

We took a look at the back up camera stuff but haven’t done it yet.
--Another fun story - so I had asked for that to be installed prior to pickup...and I get there and they're installing, ok, no biggie...except when they install it I go to cross dock with my old toy hauler and transfer stuff....the camera blocks the tailgate from opening and it doesn't appear to be an install problem - it appears the standard mount literally doesn't fit there physically - it's also on the to do list to take back and get fixed...they just uninstalled and put the cap back on....so if you have a round circular cap below the middle break light - I'd say dont do it until I report back (and can confirm it can actually work)...

Will be having a 50 amp service install at the house so I can plug into shore power without reducers or extension cords.
Already have a 100amp for the Tesla, so I'll ether mod or skip....

Our old trailer wasn’t a toy hauler so now I’m trying to figure out storage ideas for the stuff in the garage area without it just all laying in the floor.
-- what doesn't fit in the actual cabinets we put in the Costco black and yellow totes or leave in the box it came in (Blackstone grill as example)...and it's all in the garage...it can move but if you organize it right with heavy stuff on perimeter, you can get it there no issue..then when setting up camp, totes go under trailer...I would like a bit more ceiling cabinet space in the garage - looking at one of the corner units from the 36 to stick in one of my corners....would also like if they put some tie down points in the walls to facilitate tying stuff down.

We have a Milwaukee portable air compressor we take with us so that stays in the truck most the time.
--yeah, what I do...just that for < few $hundred they could have one built in and not take up truck space...just seems cheap and simple and useful...

Oh and the dealer lost the dinette table that goes in the garage. Since we had the trailer delivered from TX to NV they had to order one from the factory and have it shipped.
--that sux...but do you one better - during inspection we couldn't open the awning more than 3 feet because next to the building...got it home first night...showing the family all the cool stuff....go to retract awning the first time and it literally falls off the arm - they didnt have screws on one side...bent both arms and otherwise jacked up the awning - they came out next day to get it retracted / temp fix but ordering new arms, etc to basically replace....all because someone was an idiot...

So far I’m happy with it. No mechanical failures yet other then the battery disconnect. I thought my awing broke, turned out our excessive heat made it melt to itself and it was just stuck.
--Our's has been an adventure in it's first 48hours, lol, patience....hopefully they'll get the camera issue sorted, find the solar and fix the awning and all will be well! None of it will happen before we leave on Wed but non of the stuff is critical to enjoying our trip! And while stupid stuff and should have all been avoided, it's just slop that appears to be the industry norm, unfortunately....

Enjoy the 36'r and happy to share more as it all progresses....
Old 07-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #6
notanlines

JG, thanks for the detailed post. Writing like that takes time and I'm sure those relatively new to RV'ing will learn from it.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #7
JGCyber3

fun continues

first trip....

LED strip under couch went out entirely - not sure I care...

Doesn't appear they put backer board or anything behind garage wall where it has mount TV sticker....

Otherwise, no new excitement! All stupid stuff and hopefully get resolved in one go and move forward! Overall, trailer's pretty nice / solid / useful layout & design...we had 7 sleep/eat/... in it for 4 days and no challenge....
Old 07-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Thanks for the follow-up. Glad it's working for you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote