Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2021, 01:25 PM   #21
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
I never open both tanks. In the winter if I’m camping and worried I might run out of propane in the middle of the night I will just change over to the full tank before going to bed. Then in the morning change back to the other tank.
Before we went full time, the week after getting back home would do laundry and change sheets, and Fill the Propane tank we used, both tanks opened. Now that we full time, still both open and check on a regular basis, I run the in use tank to Empty. Once the gauge goes red pull the empty and fill. Normally we use about a 30# tank once a month, cooking and hot water.
Well I just bought a third 30# tank, the reason? We had an ice storm last winter, power out for nine days, temps in the 30’s, now heating with propane. Power went out Friday at about 2:30 pm, it was Monday before we could get out to a location that had propane. We averaged 2.5 days a tank, now I will have at least two full tanks.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #22
rlh1957

I never open both valves of LP tanks. I want to know when a tank runs out.

The selector just decides which tank you will be drawing from first, then when that tank is empty it auto switches to the full tank and continues. Unmonitored you could run out.
You can then disconnect the empty and take it to be refilled without shutting off the rest of the gas for the camper.
Whether the selector is right, left or in the middle if both tank calves ate open it will allow both tanks to be used till empty and you don’t realize it until you have no gas.
I have gauges at the tanks I check regularly, but still only use one tank at a time.
Everyone has their own procedure that works for them.

One tank of LP for cooking, grilling & refrigerator will run a long time... maybe a few weeks.
Turn on the furnace in really cold weather and it sucks the LP.

The Gas HW heater consumes LP but isn’t too bad while Boondocking. nothing like furnace. You’re more concerned with using all you fresh water.

You should test it all on one tank and see what useage will be. Then if it runs out you still have a tank left and know it’s time for a refill run.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #23
crowbar

I too am a one tank at a time guy. Never worry about running out of heat at 3 a.m. I have a menopausal wife that puts out 30,000 btu and I just roll over and I'm good for at least 4 hours.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #24
Trike Pete

I was doing the same, running one until empty then switching. I bought this from Amazon to solve the issue. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Trike Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #25
K_N_L

I'm of the full open / fully closed camp. Anytime the unit is stored both valves closed.The week before we camp, open both up and generally purge the air out at the stove. Then I will check the indicator a day or two before we head out. If we use the furnace much, I will check the indicator more often. But generally dont worry during summer camping, as most campgrounds have propane.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:56 PM   #26
Dadmech

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I use the regulator as it is designed to be used. Open the two 30 lb tanks, point regulator to one tank. Check my phone for the tank levels on the Mop[eka tank sensor app. Preetly darned easy and silly not to do it as far as I'm concerned.
That’s awesome if you have that system on your rig. I leave both tanks on. One caveat fo us is that we’re set up full time in a member owned Park March thru December.
U. S. Army Vet. 1972 - 1979
Dadmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:55 PM   #27
rhagfo

Well I will add to my comments, we have a 5th wheel, I simply open the propane compartment door to check the regulator. I believe on some TT you need to remove the tank covers to see the regulator. I also know my normal useage.
I know about a month with furnace on electric, and about 2.5 days in the 30’s temp with furnace burning propane. I have a strong idea when the tanks are going to switch. I don’t loose sleep over it, that is just me.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:36 AM   #28
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_L View Post
I'm of the full open / fully closed camp. Anytime the unit is stored both valves closed.The week before we camp, open both up and generally purge the air out at the stove. Then I will check the indicator a day or two before we head out. If we use the furnace much, I will check the indicator more often. But generally dont worry during summer camping, as most campgrounds have propane.
If you have to purge the gas line after closing the tank valves and reopening them a week later you have a leak. It should be a closed system and not get air in the lines unless a tank "runs out" or something is using gas when it's turned off.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:08 AM   #29
Javi

So many questions...

Why turn the propane on a week before leaving on a trip..

Why turn on both tanks when you are only going to camp for 2 nights or even a week during the summer... especially with full hookups

In fact, why turn on the propane at all, if you are not going to use any of it...

I can think of a bunch more but you get the premise..
Old 05-10-2021, 06:32 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
So many questions...

Why turn the propane on a week before leaving on a trip..

Why turn on both tanks when you are only going to camp for 2 nights or even a week during the summer... especially with full hookups

In fact, why turn on the propane at all, if you are not going to use any of it...

I can think of a bunch more but you get the premise..

Inquiring minds on a Monday morning.... Have a great day!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trike Pete View Post
I was doing the same, running one until empty then switching. I bought this from Amazon to solve the issue. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Click image for larger version

Name:	31Os+sYHaoL._AC_SY400_.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	33466
I'm guessing those you pictured work as well as this one! They work just like the changeover regulator, they'll show full til empty..
After the 1st time running out in the middle of a winters night I've opened both tanks ever since. A 30# bottle would last 5-7 days running the furnace so would just check the regulator every 4-5 days in the winter & fill as needed. Any other time of the year a 30# bottle would last several months so would check the regulator before needing the furnace & fill an empty if needed.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane