Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2020, 07:08 AM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEnto View Post
Get the TSD card as stated above. I recommend keeping your DEF tank fairly topped off and not running it low. DEF crystallizes in a low def tank and I attribute that to some problems I have seen and experienced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
I've been told specifically not to keep the DEF tank topped off, as this make it hard for the computer to estimate usage. I was told to let it get to the warning level and then fill it.
Here's a comment from one source: "DEF has a shelf life that averages from 1-2 years when stored properly (40-80 degrees optimum) It can expire quicker if not stored properly"

If you always "top off your DEF tank" you will wind up with old DEF (in solution with new DEF) that can cause problems. The "objective" as I understand it, is to use the DEF within a few months of putting it into the truck, since that environment is not considered "proper storage" because the truck is subjected to excess heat, humidity, environment, etc. If you "use the DEF to near empty, then refill, it doesn't have time to "age out" or "expire". Next time you're in the "quick lube lane" at a Ford dealership, take a look at the side of the barrel of DEF located there. There will be a "significant buildup of urea crystallization" on the nozzle and the barrel. That same buildup can occur inside your DEF tank over time.

Fresh DEF is better than old DEF diluted with new DEF.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #42
flybouy
Site Team

To John's point above on the DEF, same principal on diesel fuel. Purchase your fuel from a station where you see a lot of activity at the diesel pump. Don't go to the station where the diesel pumps are always open, no one seems to ever be there. There's often a reason for that. The locals may have bought bad fuel from there in the past. A station that sells lot's of diesel means more frequent deliveries and fuel that gets "stirred" in the tanks from the pumps more often.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #43
Scott in Michigan

I very much appreciate all the replies and input. Here are some follow-up questions. Obviously I don't have the truck nor its manual in hand.

What is Ford's requirement for break in mileage?

Regarding the camper package, what does it actually add and what does one lose with it? My goal is to maximize cargo capacity.

Has anyone ever spec'ed different tires from the factory? I'm wondering about Michelins for the 450.

And if anybody who has a recent F450 wanted to post stickers of their cargo capacity I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Scott
Scott in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:31 AM   #44
Deeds

My diesels a bit older, 2000 f350 7.3... but I always let it warm up and warm up a bit more before towing, and also let the turbo cool down before shutting it down so you dont cook the oil in the turbo. As it gets closer to winter be mindful of what fuel and how much is in the, dont get stuck with a full tank of #2 because as temps drop they will start mixing #1 with #2... watch egts if its tuned. Diesels like to work hard so itll love towing if it haven't towed for a while work the motor in other ways give er some throttle up some long hills or whatever you need to do to put some.load on it. I also have a truck that was designed before the fuel changes so for me diesel kleen is a must! Silver for summer white for winter! Forums are a great way to answer questions you dont know! Good luck
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:36 AM   #45
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Michigan View Post
I very much appreciate all the replies and input. Here are some follow-up questions. Obviously I don't have the truck nor its manual in hand.

What is Ford's requirement for break in mileage?

Regarding the camper package, what does it actually add and what does one lose with it? My goal is to maximize cargo capacity.

Has anyone ever spec'ed different tires from the factory? I'm wondering about Michelins for the 450.

And if anybody who has a recent F450 wanted to post stickers of their cargo capacity I would appreciate it.

Thank SWs, Scott
Unless it just changed the F450 is a 14K GVWR so payloads are going to be in the same range to a little lower than the F350 dually comparably equipped.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:44 AM   #46
razor 68

diesel does not compression brake. uses the exhaust or trans brake
razor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #47
razor 68

will not harm them but will get you a ticket here in Illinois if caught running non over the road diesel
razor 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:49 AM   #48
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor 68 View Post
diesel does not compression brake. uses the exhaust or trans brake
Can you explain how the exhaust brake differs from the compression brake?
Old 08-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #49
Deeds

My understanding is that an exhaust brake will restrict the exhaust and the compression exhaust will retard the timing essentially doing the same thing and that's using the motor to slow down the rig! I could be wrong but that's my understanding
Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
My understanding is that an exhaust brake will restrict the exhaust and the compression exhaust will retard the timing essentially doing the same thing and that's using the motor to slow down the rig! I could be wrong but that's my understanding
Regardless of the execution, it's engine compression that creates the resistance that slows down the vehicle.